• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Impressive" restaurant in Southamton area?

I have a friend who is taking a girl out whose from the Southampton area. He is a gourmet but his priority is to impress this girlo and, wait for it, money is no object so any ideas. La Manoir in Oxford is a bit too far but anything within, say, 30 mins would be great.

Thanks a bunch.

I had lunch at Chewton Glen a couple of years ago. It was perfectly pleasant and I can remember nothing whatsoever about it.

I do remember the little signposts pointing you everywhere. I thought this gave the place the atmosphere of a souped up Butlins and given that its location is nowhere special I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to stay there.

Might impress the date though.

Southampton is a food desert, possibly the only place that is worse than Portsmouth. The best food in Hampshire is probably at the Old Manor House in Romsey, but it is certainly not grand.

Two other possibles would be the Old Chesil Rectory in Winchester or 36 on the Quay in Emsworth (just the other side of Portsmouth), both have Michelin stars and provide the sort of food and service you would expect (unless they have gone downhill, not been for a while). Neither are as formal/grand as Chewton Glen (which is of course one of Michael Winners favourite places, not wishing to put you off in anyway).

Paul

http://www.lepoussinatparkhill.co.uk/

Alex Aitkin is an individualistic and talented self taught chef, well worth travelling for. I haven't eaten at Parkhill yet but enjoyed several excellent meals at what is now Simply Poussin (dreadful name). Your best bet I would say. 36 The Quay is around an hour from Southampton.