• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the right oven for my bakery

sugarseattle

I thought I knew what oven I wanted, but now that I'm looking, I'm getting overwhelmed by the choices.

Here's what I'm making:

- tarts & pies

- scones

- muffins/cakes/quickbreads

- croissant & puff pastry treats

- bread(baguettes mostly, probably in 1-2 years)

Here's the features I think I want

- gas (because I have limited electricity; however I've heard electrical works better for pastry?)

- convection

- the ability to turn convection off

- 8-12 pans at a time

I'd like to spend about 5k, new or used

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

I thought I knew what oven I wanted, but now that I'm looking, I'm getting overwhelmed by the choices.

Here's what I'm making:

- tarts & pies

- scones

- muffins/cakes/quickbreads

- croissant & puff pastry treats

- bread(baguettes mostly, probably in 1-2 years)

Here's the features I think I want

- gas (because I have limited electricity; however I've heard electrical works better for pastry?)

- convection

- the ability to turn convection off

- 8-12 pans at a time

I'd like to spend about 5k, new or used

Convection certainly but if you're serious about European/artisan breads, steam injection.

I'm about to join you in your search - I'm moving to new space and will eventually need/want my own oven(s), probably some time next year.

For me, I think I might have to go electric - because I don't have to vent it and I'm still renting and not in a position to buy real estate. I'm going into my third place in 8 years. I'm still sharing space, I'm not ready to grow the business to be on my own (my child is still young).

I looked into Doyon ovens - they are a Canadian manufacturer with a good reputation. Their ovens cycle through fan speeds but from what I remember, you can't turn off the fan completely. In fact, I have had mixed opinions on turning off the fan on a convection oven - some people tell me you shouldn't do it, while others say they do it all the time with no ill effect. I don't know what to think on this - the convection I have now is so old that if you look at it wrong, it would stop working.

I've also been told that Deluxe Ovens manufactured in Florida is a good brand for me because it is electric - but it is not convection. I don't think this would be good for you because of the breads, but it can't hurt to look into it.

I did ask the repair guys what brand they had to work on the most, and they said Baker's Aid, so that's a brand I'd think twice about based on that.