• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking classes in Atlanta

Doodad

I was wondering if any of my fellow ATL gulleteers could recommend classes in the area. I am a home cook with some experience; call me a sophomore if it was college. But, I really need some technique help in classic basics. Knife skills esp in butchery, sauce skill in classic sauces and dishes that are standards would be of interest to me. I live on the Northside, and while distance is not TOO much a factor, Jonesboro would probably make me go hmmmm.

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering if any of my fellow ATL gulleteers could recommend classes in the area.  I am a home cook with some experience; call me a sophomore if it was college.  But, I really need some technique help in classic basics.  Knife skills esp in butchery, sauce skill in classic sauces and dishes that are standards would be of interest to me.  I live on the Northside, and while distance is not TOO much a factor, Jonesboro would probably make me go hmmmm.

Thanks in advance.

Cook's Warehouse has classes right up your alley. Knife skills, sauces, etc. Three locations - Decatur, Midtown, Brookhaven: http://www.cookswarehouse.com/

"I've been served a parsley mojito. Shit happens." - philadining

You might find this interesting:

Atlanta cooking schools worth checking out ...

The one I have heard great things about is Viking Chef Cooking School ...

more information ...

Just noticed that some of the links aren't working .. keep trying because some do connect ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

When you say Northside, I assume you are ITP. My only experience has been with the Kroger Cooking School in Crabapple. I took several classes there when they first opened. At that time, they brought in numerous chefs from successful restaurants in the metro area. Kroger now has competition from Viking, Cook's Warehouse, and others and Kroger seems to be using more in-house staff and less outside chefs. Just the same, cookbook author Debbie Moose (who Gifted Gourmet and I met at an eGullet cookout in Raleigh a couple of years ago) will be at the Kroger School in October. It appears to be a book signing only - with no instruction or demonstration.

Edited by Milt (log)

No I am OTP and very near the Crabapple Kroger. Funny you mentioned that school as the catalog came yesterday for Publix's version. Ming Tsai and Rocco are coming there soon and they just happen to have a knife skills class as well.