• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bourdain's New Book - No Reservations

Claudia Greco

Only because I was asked about it by another poster (and, no, I'm not an insider, friend or otherwise connected), am I mentioning that Tony Bourdain's new book, No Reservations, a companion book to the series, is coming out October 30, and is available for pre-ordering (right now) from all the usual places.

Right now, his publisher has no information posted about book signings, and his speaking agents don't release his public appearance schedule. (Which I found a little bizarre, considering a number of these gigs require tickets (like NYPL with Buford and Batali) and the 92nd Street Y (with Ruhlman, Ripert and Gabrielle Hamilton), and at which he moves a lot of books. I can understand not having his private gigs - like to chef-only events or to something like the Harvard MBA talking heads - but massively public ones? That generate two income streams at once?)

Hope that answers your question, Doodad.

many thanks for the heads up about this book. I had no idea it was even in proocess. I'm off to see if I can find an advance copy anywhere.

Advance copy? LOL. Pre-orders, yes - although their ship date from Our Favorite Online Booksellers (no promo'ing here, nosirree!) is the same as the release date (10/'30). (I pre-ordered only because I have a 10% off membership card and they sent me 15% coupons online, to boot.) :cool:

• 1 month later...

Started reading it yesterday. I like it very much so far.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

It's tough to find the time to get into all these great long prose, so for the short attention reader I recomment the Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany. It's full of odd and fascinating bits and bites.

On the proper literature front I would also like to throw in a good word for Michael Ruhlmanns' Making of a Chef and Soul of a Chef.

Pierre A. Lamielle

illustrator

Calgary, Alberta

Time Magazine (Asian edition) had a little Q&A with Bourdain to promote his newest book. I can't believe he quit smoking!!!

My favourite quotations:

...some of our crew got subcutaeous larvae, which I thought was pretty cool.  In the book we have a medical anomalies chapter that I'm very proud of.

and for those of you thinking of changing professions...

If you're over 30 and you think you're going to live your dream as a professional chef, sorry, Pops.  It's too late.

I thumbed through the book at Chapter's and I must say I was disappointed. Too much photography and not enough of Bourdain's snarky, malicious prose. I put it back and picked up Reichl's "Tender to the Bone" instead. Admittedly it's vibe is a bit different.

Sorry Bourdain. If it's any comfort to you "Kitchen Confidential", "A Cook's Tour", and "The Nasty Bits" are getting really dog eared and are due for replacement.

Edited by truenorthern (log)

Time Magazine (Asian edition) had a little Q&A with Bourdain to promote his newest book.  I can't believe he quit smoking!!! 

My favourite quotations:

...some of our crew got subcutaeous larvae, which I thought was pretty cool.  In the book we have a medical anomalies chapter that I'm very proud of.

and for those of you thinking of changing professions...

If you're over 30 and you think you're going to live your dream as a professional chef, sorry, Pops.  It's too late.

HE QUIT WHAT!!! :blink: Say it ain't so! I've been smoking vicariously through him for years! I hope he still drinks.

It's tough to find the time to get into all these great long prose, so for the short attention reader I recomment the Schott's Food and Drink Miscellany. It's full of odd and fascinating bits and bites.

On the proper literature front I would also like to throw in a good word for Michael Ruhlmanns' Making of a Chef and Soul of a Chef.

I can vouch for "Reach of the Chef" too

HE QUIT WHAT!!! :blink:   Say it ain't so!  I've been smoking vicariously through him for years!  I hope he still drinks.

I know! I didn't think he'd ever quit (though I must say I'm glad he did). In his reply, it sounded like he did it because of his 6-month old baby girl. He also said, though, something like "Smoking is cool, and chicks dig it when guys smoke," and it's sort of true. I love watching men smoke--it's very sexy. I just don't want to be near them or kiss them when they do.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I just got the book and I think it is beautiful. Lots of great photos, and if you're a fan of the show, as I am, it's interesting to learn about the stuff that goes on outside of what we see on the screen and about the people who travel with Tony and put the show together. I am bummed, though, that it doesn't appear that he's coming to Southern California for a book signing. I have checked the calendar for November and December at Vroman's, the bookstore in Pasadena where he usually appears, and no Tony.

As for the writing, it was interesting, there was just not a whole lot of it.

The pictures were beautiful.

I don't regret buying it. I might take a harder look at future books to determine whether the content was worth the price. It does provide some additional content so when you catch a show on rerun some parts make a lot more sense, like the sicily episode.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I just saw Bourdain on his latest tour and I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by both the No Reservations book and his lecture. Is it just me, or has he made an entire career out of pretty much the same material?

The photos in the book are pretty, but it's kind of thin on the writing, which is generally why I read and buy books.

"An appetite for destruction, but I scrape the plate."