• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Going out of my mind

foldack

This may seem like an odd query, but egullet is clearly the best place to seek help.

A few years ago, I was cycling through the east end and came upon a street full of Italian food places that I'd never seen before. I was quite surprised, as I know the various neighbourhoods quite well. No, it wasn't any of the usual suspects like Jarry or Jean-Talon est. It was an E/W street, and a smallish one compared to those two. The one place that stood out was a large 24h Italian traiteur type of place. 24h...wow! There were butchers, bakers, grocery stores. It was whole little Italian commercial strip I'd never seen.

This weekend I was out on Amos and Charleroi, between Pie IX and Lacordaire, and for a moment I was sure I'd found the place, but I was wrong. I knew I was zeroing in on the right area, because there were some familiar streets and parks, but there had been a few old signs and things that I knew I'd remember if I saw them. I didn't.

So, in the same vein as Charleroi, are there any other strips anyone can think of in that sector that might be the one I'm looking for? I've ruled out Monselet and Fleury.

Thanks.

Sounds to me like <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=avenue+charland,+montreal&sll=45.569442,-73.634276&sspn=0.026407,0.02635&ie=UTF8&ll=45.570013,-73.640285&spn=0.026407,0.02635&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1">Charland </a>, which has a small strip of Italian stores tucked away, including Boulangerie & Patisserie Salerno @ no. 2411. Salerno was open 24/7 last I checked, but it's been at least a year since my last visit. Decent slab pizzas, calzone, some of the pastries pretty good. Bread doesn't live up to its looks.

Hmmm, Charland's an interesting possibility. Though I was thinking much further east, we did head home alongside the Miron quarry, so that may be worth a look.

Sounds to me like <a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=avenue+charland,+montreal&sll=45.569442,-73.634276&sspn=0.026407,0.02635&ie=UTF8&ll=45.570013,-73.640285&spn=0.026407,0.02635&z=15&iwloc=addr&om=1">Charland </a>, which has a small strip of Italian stores tucked away, including Boulangerie & Patisserie Salerno @ no. 2411. Salerno was open 24/7 last I checked, but it's been at least a year since my last visit. Decent slab pizzas, calzone, some of the pastries pretty good. Bread doesn't live up to its looks.