• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Risotto

jaybee

I've followed the instructions in my Barbara Kafka Microwave Gourmet book with excellent results.  Hardly any stirring, and since the microwave makes the liquid absorb into the rice very slowly and steadily, you get perfect results every time.  Brilliant!

Do you suppose you could construct a similar recipe on the Recipe Archive?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I've followed the instructions in my Barbara Kafka Microwave Gourmet book with excellent results.  Hardly any stirring, and since the microwave makes the liquid absorb into the rice very slowly and steadily, you get perfect results every time.  Brilliant!

Do you suppose you could construct a similar recipe on the Recipe Archive?

I'd have done it here but was afraid of those pesky copyright issues. I also don't have the book right in front of me, so would be afraid to leave something out. I'll look over the instructions at home and see if I can make it "generic" enough to avoid copyright infringement issues.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

There's a mention, I think, of this in the most recent microwave thread, but here's my recipe (adapted from Kafka's book, which is a great resource).

Microwave Risotto

This isn’t really much faster than stovetop cooking, but it requires a loss less stirring. It is important to stir well between cooking sessions to release the starchy coating from the rice grains. I’ve included my own labor-saving microwave convention of always using a single numeral for cooking times (66, 99, 2:22, etc).

This serves 4 as a side dish

2 T olive oil, butter, or combination

1 T chopped garlic, shallot, or onion (can be increased for onion)

1 cup of risotto rice (superfino Arborio, Carnaroli, Vialone nano, or other short-grained Italian-style rice)

1 c white wine (something you’d drink, reasonably dry)

3 cups hot water or stock, plus more as needed

salt

Parmigiano Reggianno cheese, freshly grated

combine fat and garlic (or shallot or onion) in microwave bowl. Cook on high 99 seconds

add rice, cook another 99 seconds

add some salt and the wine, stir for 30 seconds, cook for 2 minutes, 22 seconds, stir for 30 seconds

add 1 c water (or stock), cook 3 minutes, 33 seconds, stir for 30 seconds

continue to add liquid, cook, and stir until rice reaches desirable al dente state (typically about 15-20 minutes total of cooking, sometimes more).

add one last quarter cup or so of liquid and stir. jiggle the bowl. you want to see what the Italians call all’onda, the wave. the finished risotto should not be too runny or too stiff, but exhibit some movement when the bowl is jiggled.

stir in cheese. adjust salt. eat immediately

I have this on my site, but it needs updating to reflect this more evolved method. I do have recipes for risotto with leeks and favas and arugula and favas, with beets and arugula (hey, I have a lot of arugula in the garden and have to use it up), with greens (like arugula), and with butternut squash.

Jim

ps...Jason...I tried to put this in the archive, but the ingredient wizard didn't seem to like my Mac-Opera set up, and I was too lazy to go back and try again. Feel free to add it if you want.

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Can you list what wattage microwave this is cooked at.

Most microwaves in Japan are still 500-600w, so I might have a lot of adjusting if a 1,000watt or higher was used.

Thanks!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I believe there is a major point being missed here. Yes, risotto is a dish, but most of all it a cooking technique that is applied to unique varieties of rice. You may be able to make a very nice rice dish with the microwave technique, but it is not risotto. Neither are the short cut versions served in so many restaurants both outside and in Italy.

The reason for this is straightforward and based in the character of the rice in Italy. The three major types of Italian rice used for risotto (carnaroli, arborio and vialone nano) share the unique characteristics of a grain consisting of a soft outer starch surrounding a hard inner kernel of starch. It is this soft outside starch that is released by the gradual adding of broth and the gentle continuous stirring. It is this breakdown of the rice kernel that makes risotto attain its beautiful creamy texture. While the soft outside gradually breaks down the harder inner kernel remains giving risotto a firm (al dente) texture and a creamy consistency at the same time. Without this technique this transformation cannot happen.

I am not intending to insult other methods, but as good as they may taste they are not risotto and that name should not be used anymore than the name Barolo should be used for California nebbiolo.

Since its publication, I have followed the Fat Guy/Matt Seeber method of cooking risotto. I use homemade chicken stock, Orvieto Classico wine, carnaroli rice, and regular olive oil. I am partial to my Le Creuset pots for risotto making, as they maintain very consistent heat over low flame. I stir in figure eights. I am currently adding asparagus and morels from Borough Market at the end.

Since its publication, I have followed the Fat Guy/Matt Seeber method of cooking risotto.  I use homemade chicken stock, Orvieto Classico wine, carnaroli rice, and regular olive oil.  I am partial to my Le Creuset pots for risotto making, as they maintain very consistent heat over low flame.  I stir in figure eights.  I am currently adding asparagus and morels from Borough Market at the end.

In general I find olive oil just does not produce a soffrito with right richness and I much prefer butter for most risotti. Also I find stock (in the French sense) too strong for the risotto technique. It Italy they use a brodo or broth that is more delicately flavored than stock. While chicken broth is acceptable, beef broth makes a more complex dish.

While the soft outside gradually breaks down the harder inner kernel remains giving risotto a firm (al dente) texture and a creamy consistency at the same time. Without this technique this transformation cannot happen.

Craig,

In my opinion, this is what defines 'risotto,' not whether it's cooked on top of the stove or in the microwave. I made a batch last night using the recipe I posted, and the rice exhibited both 'firm texture' and 'creamy consistency.' It was risotto.

I don't have the time or inclination for any semantic hair-splitting, so we can just agree to disagree.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Does the pressure-cooker method meet the Camp definition of risotto? My understanding -- based on accounts from a few Italian friends -- is that it's the procedure in use by the majority of Italians who cook risotto.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Hey Jim/Craig, am I gonna have to start smacking the two of you around or separate you? :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

There's a mention, I think, of this in the most recent microwave thread, but here's my recipe (adapted from Kafka's book, which is a great resource).

Microwave Risotto

This isn’t really much faster than stovetop cooking, but it requires a loss less stirring. It is important to stir well between cooking sessions to release the starchy coating from the rice grains. I’ve included my own labor-saving microwave convention of always using a single numeral for cooking times (66, 99, 2:22, etc).

This serves 4 as a side dish

2 T olive oil, butter, or combination

1 T chopped garlic, shallot, or onion (can be increased for onion)

1 cup of risotto rice (superfino Arborio, Carnaroli, Vialone nano, or other short-grained Italian-style rice)

1 c white wine (something you’d drink, reasonably dry)

3 cups hot water or stock, plus more as needed

salt

Parmigiano Reggianno cheese, freshly grated

combine fat and garlic (or shallot or onion) in microwave bowl. Cook on high 99 seconds

add rice, cook another 99 seconds

add some salt and the wine, stir for 30 seconds, cook for 2 minutes, 22 seconds, stir for 30 seconds

add 1 c water (or stock), cook 3 minutes, 33 seconds, stir for 30 seconds

continue to add liquid, cook, and stir until rice reaches desirable al dente state (typically about 15-20 minutes total of cooking, sometimes more).

add one last quarter cup or so of liquid and stir. jiggle the bowl. you want to see what the Italians call all’onda, the wave. the finished risotto should not be too runny or too stiff, but exhibit some movement when the bowl is jiggled.

stir in cheese. adjust salt. eat immediately

I have this on my site, but it needs updating to reflect this more evolved method. I do have recipes for risotto with leeks and favas and arugula and favas, with beets and arugula (hey, I have a lot of arugula in the garden and have to use it up), with greens (like arugula), and with butternut squash.

Jim

ps...Jason...I tried to put this in the archive, but the ingredient wizard didn't seem to like my Mac-Opera set up, and I was too lazy to go back and try again. Feel free to add it if you want.

When I get really adventurous (or perhaps bored to death :biggrin: ) I'll try and copy some of your recipes to the archive with your permission of course! I did notice that I couldn't copy them over either, so I may have to try pasting into word and then go from there. Or of course the good old fashioned data entry way. :laugh:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Since its publication, I have followed the Fat Guy/Matt Seeber method of cooking risotto.  I use homemade chicken stock, Orvieto Classico wine, carnaroli rice, and regular olive oil.  I am partial to my Le Creuset pots for risotto making, as they maintain very consistent heat over low flame.  I stir in figure eights.  I am currently adding asparagus and morels from Borough Market at the end.

Figure eights? Dude, what up with that? Don't you know the left handed/right handed rice theory? You may very well be confusing your risotto.

Jason,

Don't make me get 'interesting' on your ass!

back to topic (and this may require a more philospohically bent mind than mine)....

Is it the meat or the motion? Do you 'define' a particular dish when you're eating it or making it?

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Does the pressure-cooker method meet the Camp definition of risotto? My understanding -- based on accounts from a few Italian friends -- is that it's the procedure in use by the majority of Italians who cook risotto.

Not every Italian is a great cook - despite what they think. Just like Americans, most take shortcuts. Just because they make risotto in a pressure cooker does not mean it tastes bad, but it does mean it does not taste as good.

Try it and compare. I dare you.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

Figure eights? Dude, what up with that? Don't you know the left handed/right handed rice theory? You may very well be confusing your risotto.

This is the biodynamic theory of stirring. It has to do with the moon. Italians believe in horoscopes too.

While the soft outside gradually breaks down the harder inner kernel remains giving risotto a firm (al dente) texture and a creamy consistency at the same time. Without this technique this transformation cannot happen.

Craig,

In my opinion, this is what defines 'risotto,' not whether it's cooked on top of the stove or in the microwave. I made a batch last night using the recipe I posted, and the rice exhibited both 'firm texture' and 'creamy consistency.' It was risotto.

I don't have the time or inclination for any semantic hair-splitting, so we can just agree to disagree.

Jim

Jim - I have no problem with cooking it in the microwave. It is just my position that it will be different in some way. It would be best to compare side by side - which I admit I have not done because of my own prejudice on the subject. Besides I like the stirring. I consider it therapy that will keep me away from the shrink. What's the hurry?

I certainly did not mean to offend your recipe but I like hands on cooking, just like I like funky, 'terroir' wines. I would try your recipe but do not own a microwave.

Anyway as I just wrote a bunch on risotto and I am probably obsessed. If any eGulleteer would like a gratis copy of my newsletter on risotto just e-mail me at craig@vinocibo.com .

What can I say it's an obsession. So I respectfully disagree - but will happily eat dinner at your house anytime you want to serve me the 'microwave risotto'. I'll bring the wine.

Edited by Craig Camp (log)

my favorite is lemon risotto. perhaps citrus zest in general is good: meyer, lime, blood orange, buddahs hand? i like a few mushrooms thrown in, but so its kept simple and light. does anyone have a recipe for that? lost mine ages back.

:gracie:

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

A recipe, no, but Christian Delouvrier's lemon risotto at Lespinasse was elevated by its use of three types of lemon flavor: lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon oil. And I think it was garnished with candied lemon peel, but maybe I'm imagining that. It would be a nice touch either way.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

my favorite is lemon risotto. perhaps citrus zest in general is good: meyer, lime, blood orange, buddah hand? i like a few mushrooms thrown in, but so its kept simple and light. does anyone have a recipe for that? lost mine ages back.

This is a recipe from the Villa d'Este on Lago di Como:

5 cups beef broth - hot

1 cup 'carnarino' - water in which a whole lemon rind has been boiled - hot.

The peel of one lemon grated.

2 cups arborio rice

8 tbls.. butter

4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Melt half the butter over medium high heat in a large saute pan - do not let it brown.

When the butter is melted add the rice and toss well with the butter making sure it is well coated.

(there is no soffritto in this recipe)

Add the beef broth 1 ladle at a time for the first 10 minutes - stirring gently but continuously.

After 10 minutes add the grated lemon peel and add the carnarino one ladle at a time until gone stirring gently and continuously.

Use remaining beef broth to finish if rice is not done.

When just al dente remove from heat and blend in the mantacare - the remaining butter and Parmigiano.

The sauce:

Saute 4 large cleaned shrimp per person in a small amount of olive oil.

Add one cup of white wine and evaporate.

Add chopped parsley and 1 1/2 cups cream and reduce until thickened.

Serve over the top of the risotto with parsley and lemon strips for garnish.

When just al dente remove from heat and blend in the mantacare - the remaining butter and Parmigiano.

The sauce:

Sounds delish

have you first heated/ blended the parm and butter into mantacare?

would you recommend scallops for those allergic to shrimpies?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The sauce:

Sounds delish

have you first heated/ blended the parm and butter into mantacare?

would you recommend scallops for those allergic to shrimpies?

No the mantacare - which is a very important step as it adds a final richness and extra creaminess to the risotto - is added at room temperature and then it melts into the hot risotto. They need not be mixed beforehand.

Scallops? Why not?

In general I find olive oil just does not produce a soffrito with right richness and I much prefer butter for most risotti. Also I find stock (in the French sense) too strong for the risotto technique. It Italy they use a brodo or broth that is more delicately flavored than stock. While chicken broth is acceptable, beef broth makes a more complex dish.

A mixture of both produces superb results. Finishing with a very good olive oil/rich butter/infused oil, the same. Though one must adjust the fat in the inital cooking process.

How I make risotto is determined by it's final use/flavorings/garnishes. Side dish? App? Accompaniment? All are factors that impact upon the approach and technique to a proper rissotto.

On the subject of broths; see the preceding paragraph. In the last month I have used chicken stock, chicken consomme, duck stock, duck consomme, lobster stock etc.., as well as combinations of two or three different broths and brodos.

I don't tend to use garlic (but you can, tempered usually), though a very fine brunois of aromatics which may or may not include shallots, carrots or any other (again see above) appropriate vegetable sweated in the inital fat can add much to the dish.

Over the years that I've been making it (successfully I've been told), I have found that two critical factors are the temperature of the stock/broth/brodo and the temperature of the pan as you sear and coat the rice at the beginning of the cooking process. If you sear it at too hot a heat, the ability of the rice to absorb liquid is mitigated, thereby causing a too al dente rissoto. Too hot a broth will cause this also (I've found). On the other hand, two low a heat and too cool a broth coupled with excessive stirring results in soft yet raw tasting finished product.

It's one of those techniques that lends itself to a zen-like approach. It ain't rocket science, but it is rissoto :wink: . When you nail it (practice helps here), the feeling of "all is right with the world" can't be beat.

Rissoto's perceived difficulty lends itself to mystical qualities being attached to the various accotrements used in its construction. I myself have a wooden rissoto spoon that is only used for that purpose. I have only one pot that I use (depth doesn't matter, BTW). It is one of those techniques that can't easily translate for the home cook. It can be such a touchy feely cooking process. Temperature of the pan, the broth, amount of stirring, amount of liquid etc...I taste frequently throughout the cooking process.

Carryover counts, so accounting for the time between coking and serving also comes into it.

For me risootto can be an altogether self-defining process for the cook/chef. I enjoy cooking it more for that than for the actual eating of the stuff.

YMMV

Nick

my favorite is lemon risotto. perhaps citrus zest in general is good: meyer, lime, blood orange, buddah hand? i like a few mushrooms thrown in, but so its kept simple and light. does anyone have a recipe for that? lost mine ages back.

This is a recipe from the Villa d'Este on Lago di Como:

5 cups beef broth - hot

1 cup 'carnarino' - water in which a whole lemon rind has been boiled - hot.

The peel of one lemon grated.

2 cups arborio rice

8 tbls.. butter

4 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano

Melt half the butter over medium high heat in a large saute pan - do not let it brown.

When the butter is melted add the rice and toss well with the butter making sure it is well coated.

(there is no soffritto in this recipe)

Add the beef broth 1 ladle at a time for the first 10 minutes - stirring gently but continuously.

After 10 minutes add the grated lemon peel and add the carnarino one ladle at a time until gone stirring gently and continuously.

Use remaining beef broth to finish if rice is not done.

The sauce:

Add one cup of white wine and evaporate.

Add chopped parsley and 1 1/2 cups cream and reduce until thickened.

Serve over the top of the risotto with parsley and lemon strips for garnish.

Is this a direct recipe or have you made changes to avoid copyright? Can it then be posted into the recipe archive?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.