• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping Tabs on Publix

annecros

Over in New York, Fat Guy started a Topic to keep tabs on Fairway, the major grocery chain in the area. You can find it here.

Recognizing a good thing when I steal it, I thought keeping tabs on Publix would be a great idea.

Halloween candy is already coming out, and there's a big Buy One/Get One running on Ronzoni Pasta and Mayo. I stocked up.

Got some lovely marrow bones, but had to ask at the meat window. 1.99 per pound. Almost no veal though, and I was looking for a breast and hoping optimistically for a shank. Had to settle for a thickish veal shoulder steak, but was shocked at the price! I am wondering if Rosh Hashannah this week had anything to do with that?

The last of the Summer produce is waning, but lovely baby beets are coming in. I had to buy one leek at a time, and they ran around 50 cent a piece! :shock: (That's my sticker shock face).

How's Publix doing in your area?

Got a gorgeous Bone-in Ribeye for $7/lb-over 22 ounces for just under $10. Also Hebrew National Hot Dogs 2-4-1. Nice organic baby arugula-$2.50 for a 5-oz pkg. Also had the 'Jonah' crab claws the other day-at $6 or $7/lb, had them steam them there (I'm kindof injured right now), and even though they're previously frozen, about 3/4 of them tasted really good. Sweet, even. Ate them with a glass of chardonnay. Nice surprise. Saw plenty of veal breasts, maybe $3.50/lb? (Miami Shores)

Publix here in Atlanta still offers us the freshest and most reasonably priced produce around ...

I hate to even have to go to Kroger locally but they have the most kosher meat in this neighborhood ...

So I go to both stores to get what I need ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

One of the Publix markets where I shop has something I've not seen in any other Publix (at least none of the other Tallahassee area stores). In the deli, along with the rotisserie chickens, they do rotisserie pork loins. I try to remember to call ahead when I want one, as they frequently run out before I can get there after work.

Whatever we don't eat the first night goes into pork fried rice a couple of nights later.

They are SO popular. I wonder why only one store prepares them?

• 3 weeks later...
One of the Publix markets where I shop has something I've not seen in any other Publix (at least none of the other Tallahassee area stores).  In the deli, along with the rotisserie chickens, they do rotisserie pork loins.  I try to remember to call ahead when I want one, as they frequently run out before I can get there after work.

Whatever we don't eat the first night goes into pork fried rice a couple of nights later.

They are SO popular.  I wonder why only one store prepares them?

Which store are you near? The Miami Shores does it once a week-I've never had it though. And it looks like they do the same thing you do-I always see big hunks of pork in their 'fried rice'

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

Which store are you near?  The Miami Shores does it once a week-I've never had it though.  And it looks like they do the same thing you do-I always see big hunks of pork in their 'fried rice'

Tallahassee... the store with the pork loins is the Oak Valley one, on the far North side.

The same store had some GREAT looking lamb Thursday. I didn't get any, but decided today I wanted some. Because I was going to Thomasville, GA to the produce market, I tried that Publix. No luck on the lamb... Will have to trek to the Oak Valley store tomorrow morning.

We're heading down to S. Florida( Hollywood ) for xmas this year. This will be the first xmas I've had with my family since moving to Ontario from Cali 4 yrs ago( actually this is my 7th xmas here because I was visiting my spouse for 3 yrs before I moved). Anyway, the point of this long rant is........

I can't imagine cooking a turkey dinner( with fixings) for xmas in Florida. Last time ( May) I was in Florida, I got some wonderful pink gulf shrimp that I grilled.

Does anyone know if those are a seasonal thing? I'm picturing us going out for xmas eve dinner( Mama Mia's in Hollywood) and then doing a grill feast for Xmas day.

We're heading down to S. Florida( Hollywood ) for xmas this year.  This will be the first xmas I've had with my family since moving to Ontario from Cali 4 yrs ago( actually this is my 7th xmas here because I was visiting my spouse for 3 yrs before I moved).  Anyway, the point of this long rant is........

I can't imagine cooking a turkey dinner( with fixings) for xmas in Florida.    Last time ( May) I was in Florida, I got some wonderful pink gulf shrimp that I grilled. 

Does anyone know if those  are a seasonal thing?  I'm picturing us going out for xmas eve dinner( Mama Mia's in Hollywood) and then doing a grill feast for Xmas day.

If you want seafood, don't buy Publix down here unless you want frozen. Definitely Delaware Chicken Farm & Seafood Market in Hollywood. Freshest, cheapest, most variety. They've spoiled me.

Really wish I had a Publix nearby. We have a dearth of Grocery stores. Only have a small Harris Teeter, several dirty Food Lions and a Piggly Wiggly!

Oh for a Publix or Lowes or anything else!!!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Publix here in Atlanta still offers us the freshest and most reasonably priced produce around ...

I hate to even have to go to Kroger locally but they have the most kosher meat in this neighborhood ...

So I go to both stores to get what I need ...

I too am fortunate to live near both a Kroger and a Publix (Toco Hill area in Decatur). However, at least with my two, I'd disagree - the Kroger is far superior to the Publix for produce. But I do like Publix's Greenwise line of products.

If I don't find what I need at either of them, there's a Whole Foods just down the road, the Dekalb Farmers Market a bit further the other way and Buford Highway Farmers Market not far in another direction. This place is foodie-shopping heaven.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, those "Apron's" recipes, I must admit, are great. I've used several of them, and the first time I tasted yucca was in a Publix - free sample from a very nice Apron lady.

Asparagus 1.99/lb. The store brands seem to be getting better as well.

You know, those "Apron's" recipes, I must admit, are great. I've used several of them, and the first time I tasted yucca was in a Publix - free sample from a very nice Apron lady.

Asparagus 1.99/lb. The store brands seem to be getting better as well.

My sister loves the Publix brand Ice cream. I think her favorite is Light tiramasu.