• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Personal Chef recommendations?

sugarsugar

Things in our family have been crazy of late - there just aren't enough hours in the day. I'm considering a personal chef service to get through the next few weeks, and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for personal chefs in the Lower Mainland? I found listings, but it's tough to make a decision without knowing anything about how the food tastes!

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Things in our family have been crazy of late - there just aren't enough hours in the day.  I'm considering a personal chef service to get through the next few weeks, and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for personal chefs in the Lower Mainland?  I found listings, but it's tough to make a decision without knowing anything about how the food tastes!

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Not exactly personal chef services but perhaps something like this might fit the bill….

Oops... I linked through without reviewing their website.... they used to do private meals... doesn't look like they do so anymore. Sorry!

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Sliced Tomatoes might be a good option for you depending on where you live

http://www.foodvancouver.com/restaurant.php?restaurant=3537

Things in our family have been crazy of late - there just aren't enough hours in the day.  I'm considering a personal chef service to get through the next few weeks, and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for personal chefs in the Lower Mainland?  I found listings, but it's tough to make a decision without knowing anything about how the food tastes!

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

One solution that has worked for us is Quince. We have a standing order for 3 dinners (appetizer, protein, vegatables and a starch) per week which I pick up on Monday afternoon. We have been doing this for the past year and it has transformed our lives, saving us time and money. No more shopping for food we don't end up using; preparing for and cleaning up after dinner is quick and simple giving us the gift of more time in our evenings. But most importantly, all the food is extremely fresh, high quality and full of flavor - something you don't get with frozen meals which was the other alternative we investigated.

Cheers,

Karole

One way to sift through the multitude of personal chefs is to check the on-line listings, find one in your neighborhood/city, and then ask for references. While you are obviously wanting to optimize your time/energy by hiring a personal chef, it would be prudent to invest the time in speaking with a few, mostly to see how your personalities mesh. Remember that this person will be coming into your home, and is as interested as you are in a mutually beneficial, positive experience. I always want to have an on-site meeting, in order to review how your particular appliances work, and also to plan the best way to enter your home with my tools, groceries & equipment on cook day.

It helps to be prepared for the meeting by considering your own food preferences, allergies and dislikes. Also, any drugs or health concerns which may be affected by food (i.e., no grapefruit for people on certain medications; acidophilous milk for people using antibiotics). This would be a good time to share some recipes for your favorite foods, if you have a particular request.

I personally know the chefs listed at www.personalchefvancouver.ca :-)

Karen Dar Woon

I'll throw a plug out for our very own Chef Metcalf.

Our family has had the priviledge of enjoying some of Chef Metcalf's frozen meals and they were fantastic! Easy to reheat and lots of flavour.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden