• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avenues V.S. TRU

JMayer

I have a very important dinner coming up celebrating an engagement. I was wondering what people thought was better for the overall experience (food and service) Avenues or TRU, I will be dining on a Tuesday so Alinea will be closed. Thanks for your input as I am torn between the two.

Cheers,

Justin

Engagement - as in marriage? I would normally say Avenues (and still might, depending on your personality(ies)). However, TRU does seem to have a bit more of the "couples special night out" ambience/feel/atmosphere.

Hard call. You can't really lose with either.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

What is TRU?

Tru is a restaurant. It is part of the Lettuce Entertain You organization. Rick Tramonto is the executive chef and Gale Gand is the executive pastry chef. Their previous projects included the now-closed Trio, in Evanston, where they (along with partner Henry Adaniya) were part of the three founders after whom the restaurant was named. They are now also principals in the two Tramonto namesake restaurants in a hotel in north suburban Wheeling.

You can find more information about Tru on the restaurant's website at trurestaurant.com.

Edited by nsxtasy (log)

Oops! I thought this was a Kansas City thread.

There's a place called Avenues in KC (it would have really surprised me if the KC Avenues was being recommended for anything) and I had no idea what TRU was.

I haven't been to TRU, however, I can say that my experience at Avenues was probably the most romantic dinner I've ever experienced. The staff treated my girlfriend and I like absolute gold, and the champagne cart pre-dinner just topped it off. An all-around fantastic experience service-wise, but the food is to die for also. Highly, highly recommended.