• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alaska Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

I'll be in Anchorage for a week for work (next week). Even though I'll be working all week, I'd like to try to do my own thing too, that is, eat and enjoy the city. I've checked the posts and I haven't really seen anything about Anchorage, but I'm sure that there's good food to be found, right? Does anyone have any suggestions for good places to eat or good things to buy to take home and eat later? I plan to get some Alaskan Smoked Porter, yum, but what about other food?

There's a farmers market on Saturday mornings but I've read conflicting reports about whether it will still be open on the 28th (assuming I can escape to check it out). Does anyone know if it will be open?

I'll be staying downtown and won't have a car, or, unfortunately, any time to really explore outside Anchorage. I welcome (and will appreciate) all suggestions. Thanks!

Deirdre

A few years back I used to go to Anchorage fairly regularly for business. The best meal I had there was at a place called .The Marx Brothers Cafe. The food was French in style, but used predominantly local ingredients. I remember having some halibut there that made me weep. A couple other places that were good are the Glacier Brew House and Simon & Seafort's. The Brew House had great beer and food that's definately a couple notches above normal pub food. S&S's specialty is seafood, and given the raw product that they have to work with, its usually excellent. Both places are downtown. I know you said you would be without transportation, but if there is any way you can get yourself down to the Alyeska Resort in Girdwood, its worth the effort. Very beautiful spot and the restaurant on top of the mountain is pretty good. Hope you have a good time, its a really beautiful area

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

Back from Anchorage so I will report. And I plan to go back to enjoy Alaska on my own and not for work. What a beautiful place! I recommend going down to Seward and out on one of the boats there. Girdwood is a good trip if you only have a few hours (as I did) -- you can take a tram to the top for great views.

I went to Glacier Brewhouse a few times. Very good beers, the bourbon porter was especially good with dessert. And the food was better than I expected -- halibut one night and silver salmon the other. I also liked Sacks Cafe -- good menu and wine list, but a bit heavy-handed on the salt which detracted from the halibut. Snow Goose Brewery was unimpressive - both beer and food. Never made it to Marx Brothers or Simon & Seafort, but heard good reports about both from others who did go there, so I would add them to my list for next time. Also heard a good report about Corsair, right next to the Capt. Cook. Although I hadn't heard of this place from anyone else, the guy who recommended it has a palate I respect so that might be worth checking out.

Too much work on this trip so couldn't really see much of Alaska except for that one day trip (because I came in a day early) down to Seward and out into Resurrection Bay, and a trip on my last afternoon down to Girdwood. Had room service more nights than I thought I would but was left pooped at the end of the day and that's all I had the energy for on some nights. And Captain Cook Hotel's room service was pretty good -- they even had Alaskan Pale Ale on the beer list, as well as halibut and silver salmon, notice a trend here? I believe in eating as much wild salmon in season as I can, and so I did.

I highly recommend going to Alaska - incredibly beautiful. And very friendly people. Last week the temps were in the 50's with rain -- it's the rainy season.

Deirdre

• 2 years later...

"You can take the man out of Alaska, but you can't take Alaska out of the man" or so goes the saying...

Some of my most memorable food and dining experiences happened in Alaska. Restaurants (in and around Anchorage) I fondly remember are/were:

The Double Musky Inn

Gwennie's

The Corsair

The Crow's Nest

Simon and Seaforts

Club Paris

La Mex

The Fly by Night Club

The Wine Bibber

Hogg Brothers Cafe

What are/were your favorites? Good stories? Memories? Recipes?

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

Slap some moose-turd earrings on me and call me a tourist if you want, but I like the Salmon Bakes. The salmon is always good, and that fried halibut is heavenly. For dessert, the cake with blueberry sauce is wonderful.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The thing about the food in Anchorage is that is there are a lot of suprisingly good restaurants for the size town it is. Some of my faves:

The Double Musky - IMO the best restaurant in Anchorage (although I guess it's not actually in Anchorage). Its such a cool place and great chow. I always tell people to go there. The French pepper steak is unreal. Who woulda thunk such a great place would be out in the middle of nowhere?

The Crows Nest - The thing I remember about this place is getting bombed out of skull in the bar. I think it was good.

Simon and Seaforts - Can't beat the seafood. Plus the view.

Top of the World - Again, the view.

F Street - Good burger. A lot better than you think it would be.

Club Paris - Very solid steak house. Still trying to digest the fillet.

Also the seafood buffet at (I think) the Red Lion. Best seafood buffet I've ever seen.

My hidden gem is the Tempura Kitchen in Spenard. Strangely, I've never had the tempura there, but sushi is really good!

Are we talking about just Anchorage, or all of Alaska? In Anchorage, I loved my meal at Sacks Cafe. And call it pedestrian, but dinner at Orso and the amazing IPA at Glacier Brewhouse made me a happy camper. Also, those reindeer sausages from the carts on the main strip there... jeez.

Several years back when I went up to Anchorage fairly regularly, the best meal I had, hands down, was at The Marx Brothers Cafe. My other memorable meal was at Seven Glaciers, on top of the mountain at the Alyeska Resort. The view had more to do with that than the food however.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Common wisdom and most folks in the know say that the very best food in all of Alaska is at the Gustavus Inn.

I've never been there....but one of these days. :rolleyes:

Oh, and the Chena Pump House in Fairbanks is very nice as well. Great atmosphere, and nice deck overlooking the river.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The Double Musky - IMO the best restaurant in Anchorage (although I guess it's not actually in Anchorage).  Its such a cool place and great chow.  I always tell people to go there.  The French pepper steak is unreal.  Who woulda thunk such a great place would be out in the middle of nowhere? 

Personally, I think the Double Musky Inn is one of the best restaurants I've experienced - no it's not the French Laundry and they use canned tomatoes. But, on so many threads on eGullet (best steak - the French Pepper Steak IS unreal, cajun restaurants outside Louisiana, etc.), I've wanted to introduce people to the Double Musky. I often make their jambalaya, blackened redfish/salmon, and Cajun stuffed mushrooms to great acclaim.

I have their cookbook (circa mid 80's) and am willing to share recipes from their cookbook if anyone is interested... Heck, alot of their recipes are posted on their website (http://www.doublemuskyinn.com/). It's a fabulous place and everyone should beat a path to their door if they find themselves anywhere near Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula.

-Lyle

PS: I lived in Anchorage 1983 to 1988; mom lived in Palmer 1972-1989. I have a Gwennie's bumpersticker on my truck... :raz:

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

I have a Gwennie's bumpersticker on my truck...  :raz:

I have a Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn. :cool:

gallery_26331_885_15777.jpg

What a place!! :laugh:

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

gallery_26331_885_15777.jpg

What a place!! :laugh:

Yep. Nuthin' but the classiest joints for me. :cool:

Yep.  Nuthin' but the classiest joints for me.  :cool:

We dropped by because we were travelling with a dog and my companion recalled that dogs were allowed inside the restaurant.

We sat down and soon the dog found a half-eaten pizza in a box on the floor and started to get into it. We started to scold her, but Dick assured us that the dog was welcome all the pizza she could find.

Yep.  Nuthin' but the classiest joints for me.  :cool:

...but Dick assured us...

Friends and 'reglars' call him 'Skinny.'

:biggrin:

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Sitka? We will be there for three days in early September. Thanks, Kay

hmmmm. the channel club, north of town, for steaks and seafood. big salad bar of multiple types of salads. the restaurant at the shee atika lodge (right downtown) was known for its slowness, food was okay. there's a macdonalds. my fave is the bay view restaurant, 2nd floor of the building with the russian american co.

people really don't come to the southeast to eat.

joe

petersburg, alaska

sure it rains alot, what's your point?

Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants in Sitka? We will be there for three days in early September. Thanks, Kay
hmmmm. the channel club, north of town, for steaks and seafood. big salad bar of multiple types of salads. the restaurant at the shee atika lodge (right downtown) was known for its slowness, food was okay. there's a macdonalds. my fave is the bay view restaurant, 2nd floor of the building with the russian american co.

people really don't come to the southeast to eat.

I'd agree with all this. But don't miss the church.

just found this at foreignborn.com under their city guides:

"Sitka's restaurants aren't exactly going to set gourmet tongues wagging, though there are several decent places to dine out. The best bargain in town is the Sheldon Jackson College Dining Room , David Sweetland Hall, a simple cafeteria-style place with all-you-can-eat breakfast (6.30-8am; $5), lunch (11.30am-1pm; $5), and dinner (4.45-6pm; $10): follow the road opposite the entrance to the Sheldon Jackson Museum. For great coffee, tasty sandwiches, pastries and light lunches duck through Old Harbor Books at 201 Lincoln St to The Backdoor (tel 907/747-8856) or try the small organic café in Evergreen Natural Foods , 2a Lincoln St (tel 907/747-6944). The Bayview Restaurant , upstairs at 407 Lincoln St (tel 907/747-5440), offers great sea views and well-prepared dishes on its standard Alaskan menu, with additional Russian treats such as borscht; and the Channel Club , four miles west of town at 2906 Halibut Point Rd (tel 907/747-9916), is the place to go for steak: there's a free shuttle from downtown. For evening drinks , join the crowds in the Westmark Shee Atika 's bar, or the down-to-earth Pioneer Bar on colorful Katlian Street. "

oh, and old harbor books is the best book store in se alaska. enjoy your trip, don't stay inside waiting for the rain to stop. the pioneer bar (p-bar) is an institution; lot's of boat wreck photos.

joe

petersburg, alaska

sure it rains alot, what's your point?

Joe, thank you very much for the info. We have made several trips to Alaska but never made it to Sitka and really wanted to see the area. Will be taking the Alaska ferry from Bellingham leaving the car there. Kay

• 1 month later...
:biggrin: Taking the family to Juneau, Petersburg, Ketchikan, Wrangell and Sitka. Tried to find some threads on these places and only came up with Sitka. (Sounds great BTW) Any recs for good eats-we eat everything but raw fish. I know the salmon are running so we are excited to get some king and red. Local flavor is always a plus and really high end will not be appreciated by my kids. Also going to Telegraph Creek and Queen Charolette but have heard there are only a few places to eat there. Any help would be really appreciated.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}