• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods Market

hungry_moose

I'm a big fan of Whole Foods and glad to be owning their stocks WFMI now.

Inspired by Mamster's article Cheese & Cracker, I wonder what's your favorite find @ Whole Foods. Mine is the 3 pack juice box sized Chicken Broth (Whole Foods 360 private label). They are so convenient and no need to reseal the box, they are perfect for single use! Another is the spicy cappacola - it's like peppery, spicy ham - with fresh mozarella + tomato + basil, it makes a perfect sandwich. Please share your find! I am on my way to WF to get the Oaten crackers and that wonderful cheese.

Cheers!

hungry_moose

Whole Foods isn't the only place that sells LaBrea baguettes, but they are the only place I've found that sells the frozen LaBrea that takes only 12 minutes at 400 degrees and makes my salami/mayo/tomato on fresh baguette loving kids VERY happy. Hardest part is waiting for 400 degrees..

Forgot to add that Whole Food has Taylor Gold pears from New Zealand (out of season on this side of the world, I know) but delicious nonetheless, nicely ripe and honey flavored.

Edited by olivina (log)

Whole Foods isn't the only place that sells LaBrea baguettes, but they are the only place I've found that sells the frozen LaBrea that takes only 12 minutes at 400 degrees and makes my salami/mayo/tomato on fresh baguette loving kids VERY happy. Hardest part is waiting for 400 degrees..

Forgot to add that Whole Food has Taylor Gold pears from New Zealand (out of season on this side of the world, I know) but delicious nonetheless, nicely ripe and honey flavored.

Vashon Thriftway has the frozen bread (not exactly convenient for you..)

Taylor Golds were at Sosio's - last week anyway.

I'm always pleased to find some change leftover.

This rarely happens, but when it does-I am pleased to find it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Please share your find!  I am on my way to WF to get the Oaten crackers and that wonderful cheese.

Cheers!

hungry_moose

I would first say beware of some of WFM's cheese, which seems to have a too-long-in-wrap problem on too many occasions. That said, a few things pop to mind:

1) the most reliable place to get REALLY BIG AND FLAVORFUL Rocky Range roasters--seem expensive, but if you roast a 7 pounder (Marcella's method: stuff with whole lemons that you've properly rolled around a bit and poked with a fork, roast upside down for 30 mins, then turn and roast right side up (i.e., breast up) until done) you'll have a big dinner and a few great lunches, too

2) Coffee! Sol Calibri even when Arturo is not in town and around the markets, some of the Allegro stuff that they roast on site [full disclosure: Joe Kline, coffee man there, is close friend]

3) 10% off on 6 bottls of wine

4) Radishes, yum!

ok .. back to work I go ...

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

Taylor Golds were at Sosio's - last week anyway.

They were at Sosio's last week! I'd forgotten that I had tasted them there, reluctantly at first because of my "not in season" snobby 'tude.

So everyone, BUY TAYLOR GOLDS AT SOSIOS PLEASE INSTEAD OF WHOLE FOODS! splurge on the parking...

I'm in VA, but I'm betting that they have their curried wheatberry salad in the deli section out in Seattle too. Yummo. I also grab the mini baguettes in the bakery- I rarely use a whole baguette before it gets stale, so the smaller size works for me.

The Bell & Evans chicken they carry (on the East coast at least) is the sooo much better than your regular grocery store chicken and at about $1 more/lb, very worth it.

The best thing in the whole store is the smoked salmon collars for $7/lb or so. Sometimes they're on sale for less, which is how I discovered them. It's the fatty part at the front of the filet, brined, then heavily smoked. Rich, juicy, and they should be plentiful, and hopefully cheaper, now that we're heading into the season. I usually get some rye crackers and cream cheese, shred the salmon over the top, then a dash of hot sauce or black pepper.

Compared to some of the other places around town they often have great sales on organic salad greens. Arugula, spinach, mixed greens, even mache. Be careful to check the weight though as some of those are bulky.

I'll think of more...

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Second those smoked salmon collars, and the Yukon salmon candy. Love the selection of loose teas, Strauss Family Creamery cheeses and whipped cream, Cowgirl and Roqgue Creamery products, Lake Champlain chocolates and Ciao Bella Blood Orange sorbet. I also second the La Brea bakery frozen baguettes, my family loves them. And somehow, I can never go wrong with strawberries from Whole Foods.

The deli meats for me are so-so. I'd rather get Boar's head stuff from Thriftway.

The deli meats for me are so-so.  I'd rather get Boar's head stuff from Thriftway.

I know what you mean, I know they are nitate free and all that but they are lacking in flava and they go bad in about a minute. Columbus brand, Boars and Salumi (duh) are it.

The deli meats for me are so-so.  I'd rather get Boar's head stuff from Thriftway.

I know what you mean, I know they are nitate free and all that but they are lacking in flava and they go bad in about a minute. Columbus brand, Boars and Salumi (duh) are it.

Hmm no kidding?? Wow, I think the Golden Farms mortadella rocks. Along with the Golden Farms cappacola, both the spicy and the black pepper. I'll agree that the rest of the stuff there is so-so, but the GF mortadella definitely beats the brand they had before. Oh, and I do like the pâtés also.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Besides having some of the best steaks I have ever eaten I also love that the sell fresh sashimi (tuna, whitefish, salmon, etc.) over in the fish department.

They are also one of the few places that sells Virgil's Creme Soda and Root Beer (both with unbleached cane sugar and 100% natural ingredients).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

white anchovies. variety and freshness of herbs and produce. there's no beating it for one stop shopping. fish sausages...very tasty.

my favorite recent find isn't from wfm - it's from PCC...Dr. Kracker. there are 3 kinds - pumpkin cheese, spelt cheese and seeded spelt. addictive. good with hummus, cheese, whatever - and perfect for lunches.

i now return you to the wfm report.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

I'll agree that the rest of the stuff there is so-so, but the GF mortadella definitely beats the brand they had before. Oh, and I do like the pâtés also.

mmm mmm, mortadella. didn't realize Whole Foods had mortadella. thanks for the tip, can't wait.

Here in Florida wfm sells little bottles (c. 12 oz) of tangerine juice. It's so good that I could drink a quart of it, :wub: but my sugar problem makes even the small bottle a monthly indulgance, if that. :angry:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

You can print a coupon to get $5 off meat (expires end of May).

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Thanks for the coupon tip! I do like their meats and their produce.

I didn't know the La Brea baguette came frozen - that is good to know - I love their baguette!!

I love the pate you can buy by the slice there as well! Nothing like hitting the olive bar, the wine section, the pate and dry meat sections, swinging by cheese and beer and heading home.

Ohhhh let me just say that I think the beer section at the Roosevelt store RULES. kudos to the folks that put that together. Read the tasting notes sometime, they are hilarious.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Yes, thanks for the coupon info! Love their meats and sausages!

I think the Roosevelt store is so much better than Bellevue. I guess Bellevue is still fairly new so they need get settled in. I love their hot prepared food bar.

Also Whole Kids O's (cheerios type cereal) is the only wheat free, modified food starch free O type cereal - if your child is allergic to wheat. Less sugar than Puffins.

-hungry_moose

In the frozen section, the Chocolate Millenium denali dark chocolate sauce. :wub::wub::wub: And the LaBrea bread, amazing cheeses and Fran's Gold Macadamia Bars. Fresh crab, salmon jerky. Very cool and unique produce. I've never seen a buddha's hand anywhere else. And the boy that bags my groceries turned me on to sapotes. Love them.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

The Roosevelt store is pretty special! I've only been to that one, the one in Portland near Henry's Brew Pub, which I think is comparable, and the one in Berkeley, which was a BIG dissapointment (imagine a below average QFC with a dirt floor!)

My best find ever was seeing Bjork at the one in Chelsea, in NYC... but that's once in a lifetime (and not really a "food find").

I can't wait for the new store to open up south of Lake Union (at Denny and Westlake)....