• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Muffins -- Bake-Off VII

Kerry Beal

More muffins! I made acorn squash ravioli last week and had some roasted squash puree left over, it was so delicious and sweet, and emboldened by my recent success in baking with beets, decided to make squash muffins :biggrin: Well, technically they're squash, maple, and walnut muffins, but the maple was rather overlaid by me going pretty overboard with the spices :raz: They're delicious though, super tender and moist. They taste somewhat similar to pumpkin pie, which makes sense.

Here's the amounts I used. I don't know how useful it will be to anyone who doesn't have random squash lying around :rolleyes: but hey you never know. It came out a little short of batter, I was only able to make 10 muffins. Values are semi approximate.

dry:

1-1/2 cups + 1 TBS flour (I used whole wheat)

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon allspice

freshly grated nutmeg

wet:

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 cup maple syrup

1 cup pureed squash

1/4 cup vegetable oil

etc:

1/2 cup walnut pieces

350 degrees Fahrenheit, 30 minutes, but I don't trust my oven further than I can throw it.

blurry webcam photo:

gallery_54928_4907_37183.jpg

Kate

So I made the butter tart muffins again since I was the only one who failed to see the connection between butter tarts and these muffins. :wacko: And they are just too easy to make!

I used a combination of golden and dark raisins since that's what I had on hand.

As noted previously, these muffins do not mound up and their irregular surface is not a defect!

gallery_6903_111_57830.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

And?

I was an avid reader of the butter tarts thread, but I confess I haven't made them yet.

I like the look of those.

The recipe I originally used came from our local LCBO Food&Drink magazine but here's a link to an almost identical recipe. Add the walnuts or not - they are not in the original recipe.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been baking much because I have cut way down on my consumption of starchy foods, but this past weekend was the 2nd anniversary of my store. Last year I made coffee and muffins for the event, so I did it again. I made seven kinds of mini muffins--4 old favorites, and 3 new recipes.

gallery_44218_3482_3146.jpg

They were all really good.

the old favorites were orange muffins (on the top tier of the picture above), cranberry vanilla

gallery_44218_3482_1891.jpg

coffee cake

gallery_44218_3482_7339.jpg

and banana nut

The new varieties were earl grey, gingerbread, and hazelnut.

gallery_44218_3482_8984.jpg

For some reason I only took a picture of the hazelnut one, but that was my favorite. It was nice and moist because it had apple in it, but it had a really good hazelnut flavor. My husband liked the earl grey ones best, but the gingerbread were probably the most popular.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I made delicious Vanilla and Ground Elder* Muffins today:

gallery_43137_2974_78574.jpg

The recipe idea is from an Estonian chef, but I've fiddled with the recipe a bit - she used a lot less groud elder and a bit flour.

* Yep, I'm talking about Aegopodium podagraria, also known as bishop's weed and goutweed, the common garden nuisance weed - young leaves are surprisingly yummy :raz: (I've written more about ground elder here on my blog)

• 2 months later...

I got The Ultimate Muffin Book after getting their ice cream treats one from the library. So far have made the banana, strawberry jam, and applesauce muffins. The strawberry ones are ok, the banana was very good and the applesauce I have not tried yet, but they have 1.25 c of unsweetened applesauce in them, so I imagine they are very moist.

I like this book, and had my husband, the main muffin eater, tag ones that sounded good. Since we marked about 20, I think I'll be ordering this book. One think I don't like about it, though, is that there is batter left over. I love that Dorie's recipes make exactly 12 cupcakes (or 6 large ones). I started using small souffle cups to bake the rest of the batter at the same time. I've had about the same amount left over from each recipe. Any suggestions on how to avoid this upfront? I already fill the tins quite full.

edited for spelling

Edited by Marmish (log)

I got The Ultimate Muffin Book after getting their ice cream treats one from the library.  So far have made the banana, strawberry jam, and applesauce muffins.  The strawberry ones are ok, the banana was very good and the applesauce I have not tried yet, but they have 1.25 c of unsweetened applesauce in them, so I imagine they are very moist.

I like this book, and had my husband, the main muffin eater, tag ones that sounded good.  Since we marked about 20, I think I'll be ordering this book.  One think I don't like about it, though, is that there is batter left over.  I love that Dorie's recipes make exactly 12 cupcakes (or 6 large ones).  I started using small souffle cups to bake the rest of the batter at the same time.  I've had about the same amount left over from each recipe.  Any suggestions on how to avoid this upfront?  I already fill the tins quite full.

edited for spelling

I'd spray the top of your tin and fill it up! If you use a scale then you can weigh the batter to find out how much they want you to put in each cup and scoop accordingly.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 6 months later...

Better late than never, right?

I made the Banana crunch muffins from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. They are the bomb! I did them as giant muffin tops because I like the crunchy part best

gallery_59916_6220_170275.jpg

• 2 months later...

I got an order for 3 dozen muffins for tomorrow morning. Whats your opinion on baking them today? I always prefer them fresh so I was thinking about making the batter and resting them overnight and baking fresh in the morning. That is a lot of last minute baking though.

I think I'll make the new blueberry muffins in the latest issue of CI, the morning glory muffins from KA flour whole grain baking and maybe my mom's sour cream coffee cake( in muffin form).

I was thinking about making the batter and resting them overnight and baking fresh in the morning. 

I tried that one and they didn't rise too well. I was advised next time just to premix wet + premix dry seperately.

Mmmm sour cream cofffee cake. Pls post pics!

I got an order for 3 dozen muffins for tomorrow morning.  Whats your opinion on baking them today?  I always prefer them fresh so I was thinking about making the batter and resting them overnight and baking fresh in the morning.  That is a lot of last minute baking though.

I think I'll make the new blueberry muffins in the latest issue of CI, the morning glory muffins from KA flour whole grain baking and maybe my mom's sour cream coffee cake( in muffin form).

That's a hard one but I think sleep in the AM would win out for me ;). You'd have to bake them with enough time for them to cool before bed tonight. Put them back in the pans and wrap with saran. Maybe refresh them for a few minutes in the oven in the morning. You probably know this but just in case....coarse sugar on top doesn't hold well unless served the same day, in case you might be planning to use it on the blueberry muffins.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

• 3 years later...

This is a Bake-Off topic which didn't go far enough...for me anyway. We have been deep in house renovations since last September and I have made enough muffins and candies to sink the proverbial ship. Workpersons work happier when well supplied with coffee and muffins.

My best to date are the http://forums.egulle...orange-muffins/ Orange Muffins by Cadbury. And the original Morning Glory muffin http://www.ebfarm.co...g-glory-muffins

Made Super Moist Banana Nut Muffins from Food.com this morning, but both worker guy and Ed said they were too sweet. Note self: cut down on the sugar.

Anyone have any new muffins to toot? Nuts required in this household.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.