• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cupcakes: Tips & Techniques

Kim Shook

It sounds very much like your oven temperature is off. Ovens can be fine one day and the next ---off enough to ruin whatever you're baking. If you use an oven thermometer you can tell if your oven is off, and you can make an adjustment in the temperature setting to compensate.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Could have the original recipe called for self rising flour? I just don't see enough leaving for the amount of flour given. And I agree with CandianBacon, that there seems to be more liquid then dry ingredients then you would typically see in a cake/cupcake recipe.

How many cupcakes does one batch make? I noticed you mentioned making a larger amount at once, and I wonder if when you doubled it, for example, if you cut back one egg total if it would have turned out better? Sometimes when you multiple a recipe, not everything goes up in the exact same multiple.

It sounds very much like your oven temperature is off. Ovens can be fine one day and the next ---off enough to ruin whatever you're baking. If you use an oven thermometer you can tell if your oven is off, and you can make an adjustment in the temperature setting to compensate.

Eileen

No, I'm really sure it's not my oven. I bake bread and pizzas and all kinds of things all the time without too much problem, and I calibrate it regularly with an oven thermometer. Actually, I don't do it, my husband the geek boy who loves to play with anything electronic does it. I am really sure it was a combination of letting the batter sit too long (it took a while to fashion out 4 dozen cupcakes) and, I was using European butter, which I realized later contributed to the liquidity factor even more than the batter was already.

I guess it's entirely possible the recipe is wrong, I cut and pasted it from e mail to here, and I printed it out of my e-mail, so it would have had to have been on the sending end, so I'm not sure.

Edited by pax (log)
“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”