• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rao's

awbrig

Zen, that's the best story I've read in a while. You should turn it into an article for the New Yorker or something.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

The only way to get a reservation there yourself is to go with someone who has a regular table. I know a few people who have gone (including my mother-in-law) and they have all gone with a "regular". Most say the food is very good, but it is certainly a more standard kind of fare than its difficulty to get into would suggest (the Rao's cookbook says it all -- don't expect Babbo). It's very traditional southern italian.

Because Rao's only gives tables to "regular" customers, there are rarely any open tables. The only way to get a table yourself is to show up with a regular (maybe a few times). Once you are able to get a table yourself, you might start out with, say, Tuesdays once a month (or every other month). Then, if you continue to go (and really become a regular) you might be able to go more frequently. It is definitely a place that encourages the same people to come back again and again and, as such, will always be difficult to get into. In many ways, it is really more a club than a restaurant.

I have not been personally. It would probably be fun once, but it really gets to the issue of how much you want to dedicate yourself to one restaurant (it is pretty near impossible getting certain reservations at certain times at top restaurants if you are not a regular.)

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

The food at Rao's is completely mediocre.  The reason to go there is not to experience wonderful food.  The reason to go to Rao's -- the only reason to go to Rao's, really -- is to say you've been there.

you didn't like it?

I wouldn't say it is any better than what could be had at Carmine's around 10 years ago.

--

Honestly, I avoid any place that acts like its doing me a favor to take my money especially a place like Rao's. It doesn't take an actual dining experience there -- just peruse their cookbook or buy a jar of their overpriced sauce -- to get the picture. Certainly not in these days in New York, where a gaggle of world-class restaurants are falling allo over thems to attract diners. Even if they were willing to grant you a reservation, you're bound to be setting yourself up for disappointment, if the recipes in Pelligrino's book are any indication.

Which isn't to say that their food isn't honest, reasonably well-prepared generic red-sauce Italian-American; but certainly not the sort of transcendent gastronomy that justifies subjecting onself to the humilation -- intended or otherwise-- of constant rejection. If food is the real object opf your efforts, I ask: why bother, when I guarantee that Baldoria or Patsy's downtown does this type of food as well, if not better? If you want a Runyoneque experience without the hassle, then I suggest you try Andy's Colonial in East Harlem.

Make mine San Domenico, Felidia, San Pietro or I Trulli.....

I have been lucky enough to eat there twice. Both times we walked in we were greeted by name by the bartender, Nick, who is known for his colorful vests. I asked him how he knew our name and he said we were the only people who weren't regulars. The tables are like condos. You "buy" the same table for the same day every week. If you know you aren't going to be there you have to tell the managers. There are 11 tables, no menus and the most wonderful dining experience you will ever have. The products you can buy at the grocery store in no way compare to the food you eat at the restaurant.

After a drink or two someone comes over to your table, sits down and tells you what is on the menu. They tell you how many slices of cheesecake are left and say that if you want a slice reserve it because it goes fast. Don't miss it - the creamiest cake I ever had. We ordered so much food both times because we couldn't decide what to eat and knowing we might never get back we wanted to try it all. The menu consisted of all the things you find in the cookbook. My favorite dish was the lemon chicken. We ate everything and licked the plates. Frank Pelligrino was in both nights and after 10:30 he puts on the jukebox and serenades you. We had an 8:00 reservation and didn't leave until midnight. We were concerned for our car because the neighborhood is rather rough. There are a few shady looking characters out front who we gave some money to to watch the car. When we came out not only was it still there, intact, but had been polished.

Dining at Rao's is wonderful. When you leave you ask when you can call again. We were there in August and were told to call in November for the spring. We can't wait!

"We were concerned for our car because the neighborhood is rather rough. There are a few shady looking characters out front who we gave some money to to watch the car. When we came out not only was it still there, intact, but had been polished."

Did they also sing and stand next to a fire that was burning in a garbage can??

Zen, Thanks for your post...it was really adorable.

We almost got to go last year. My Father-in- law "knows a guy" and we were all set up to go...Then, "the guy" had to "Go Away" (if you know what I mean) and he's still "away" (if you know what I mean). So, we never got to go..... :sad:

:laugh: Too funny Zen...thanks for the chuckle :laugh:

I own the cookbook and I've made the marinara sauce which was really wonderful and the lemon chicken which wasn't--probably because it lost something in the translation.

As a flatlander with absolutely no connections, I can only dream about going there. I don't doubt that the food isn't 'the thing' at Rao's but I'd still love to experience it first hand.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Had no desire to go before this thread, no desire to go now. ( Though if someone had a extra seat I'd be the Designated driver, actually on 2nd thought I'd pay for a designated driver).

Frank IS good as the FBI agent in charge, though we haven't seen him since early in the 3rd season when they were bugging Tony's basement.

Maybe if I recomended Frank for a Emmy next year I can a table at Rao's. My car needs a waxing anyway.

• 1 year later...

Has there ever been an eGullet thread on Rao's — the legendary Italian restaurant in Harlem that's practically impossible to get into? The eGullet search engine returns nothing, but it's hard to imagine that it has never garnered so much as a mention.

I haven't found any account of Rao's that places it on the level of Babbo, Felidia, L'Impero, etc. I believe Ruth Reichl reviewed it for the Times, and found the food competent but not transporting. How exactly did it come to be so hard to get into?

(admin: Rao's threads merged)

Edited by slkinsey (log)

I recall an episode on Martha Stewart featuring Rao's. The Safeway by my house sells (or not)

their jar spaghetti sauce for $11.99 a jar!!!!!!!! I always see the row is completely full. a hui ho

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

I recall an episode on Martha Stewart featuring Rao's. The Safeway by my house sells (or not)

their jar spaghetti sauce for $11.99 a jar!!!!!!!! I always see the row is completely full. a hui ho

I think Rao's jarred sauce is very, very good. I use it to make macaroni and beef (with elbow macaroni) a cheap, fast, cold weather, i don't wanna cook, comfort food dish. In Conn. you can get the sauce for $7.99 for a regular size jar. At Stew Leonard's in Danbury, it's $7.99 for an extra large jar.

the sauce is exactly what it needs to be. nothing but decent ingredients, with no crap. i've noticed a lot of "premium" brands hitting the shelves with similar ingredients lists, and the ones i've tried have been good.

when it comes down to it, i'd never buy jarred sauce unless it was Rao's or one of these premium brands, so i don't bother comparing the price with the $2 jar of Ragu. that said, even at 8 dollars a bottle, you're still feeding 3 people for 8 dollars + 1.29 for pasta. i can't possibly be bothered by those types of numbers.

I was there a about a month ago, i've been a few times as guest of a family friend. If you go with the anticipation of a great italian american meal, you will be completely disappointed. Go for the good vibe and the enjoyment of a restaurant that impossible to get into. But the food is that of a little italy tourist trap...the meatballs, peas with bacon, cheesecake, homemade ice cream are all ok. All the pasta's are forgettable, and the wine list (recitation)is practically an insult....the last time we went, we went and had a slice at Patsy's afterward...

• 1 month later...
I was there a about a month ago, i've been a few times as guest of a family friend.  If you go with the anticipation of a great italian american meal, you will be completely disappointed.  Go for the good vibe and the enjoyment of a restaurant that impossible to get into. But the food is that of a little italy tourist trap...the meatballs, peas with bacon, cheesecake, homemade ice cream are all ok. All the pasta's are forgettable, and the wine list (recitation)is practically an insult....the last time we went, we went and had a slice at Patsy's afterward...

I second Cpalms... It's good stuff, but you go for the place and the people, not just the food. If your expecting something special from just the food, you will be sadly disappointed. I saw a couple sitting in the corner eating once (One of the few 2-person tables, the one by the door), and they looked miserable... You really need to go with a big group and know some people to have fun there, since almost everyone there knows someone else there...

Edited by BackwardsHat (log)

"Compared to me... you're as helpless as a worm fighting an eagle"

BackwardsHat.com

My grandfather lived on that block (114th bet 1st and Pleasant) in the late 60's early 70's.

We never ate there, but the people we know that did, always said the food is just like what we made at home, and not as good as my Mom's.

There's probably a ton of neighborhood joints with food as good or better, but they don't get the ink because they don't get the celebs.

Frankie P has turned his trademark no into quite a schtick.