• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lumiere opens on the corner of Hornby and Davie

Vancouver

Just passed by a new cafe that opened up on the corner of Hornby and Davie St. It is called Lumiere. I wonder what Feenie thinks about that?!?!?!?!

Their concept appears to be a place to show movies, read books, and drink coffee. They have a free movie schedule posted, etc.

I wonder how long the name will last?

Cheers!

Lumiere is not exactly a unique restaurant name. And this Lumiere doesn't even sound like it's a restaurant. So, what would be the argument? That consumers are going to be confused and think they're going to be seeing films directed by Rob Feenie?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Well, that name makes more sense for a movie-cafe type thing than it does for a proper restaurant.

You know, I've always wondered about the French names some restaurants choose - sometimes it seems they pick a name just because it's French and sounds 'fancy'...