• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oktoberfest 2007

rooftop1000

For those who cant refuse big chunks of sausage and assorted parts over sauerkraut...oh yeah and beer too :rolleyes: .

Okteberfest Sept 15 and 16th 2007

Starts at 5pm on Saturday

Noon on Sunday

http://www.germaniapark.com/octoberfest.htm

I know whats for dinner

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

That was fun....pretty long lines within 2 hours of opening but we did OK. First you have to decide how much your going to spend and buy food/bev tickets. Then we hit the beer tent for a Weissbier for Karl and a Spaten for me while we checked out the band. Another beer and we found the end of the food line....really long but we BSed with people and it went fast. We ordered the Leberkäse platter (veal loaf) and a Bauernwurst platter both served with rye bread sauerkraut and German potato salad. We tried for the beer line again but it was waay too long so we used up our last tickets on apple strudel and coffee.

As soon as I get someplace with a cell signal I can send myself the pictures...yes I forgot the camera.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Tracey,

We went with friends a couple of years ago and we had a great time. I don't remember long lines for anything. Maybe we hit it on a good day at a good time. I don't know. The food was great, the music wonderful, the guys loved the beer and we all had a really good time. We talked about going back this year, but, we were away for the weekend. Maybe next time.

That was fun....pretty long lines within 2 hours of opening but we did OK. First you have to decide how much your going to spend and buy food/bev tickets. Then we hit the beer tent for a Weissbier for Karl and a Spaten for me while we checked out the band. Another beer and we found the end of the food line....really long but we BSed with people and it went fast. We ordered the Leberkäse platter (veal loaf) and a  Bauernwurst platter both served with rye bread sauerkraut and German potato salad. We tried for the beer line again but it was waay too long so we used up our last tickets on apple strudel and coffee.

As soon as I get someplace with a cell signal I can send myself the pictures...yes I forgot the camera.

tracey

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

There was another large German Festival at the Deutsche Klub in Clark , NJ. Club has been around for over 60 years and hosts 3-4 large events each year. They served great food and served Radeberger beer, which is delicious. I find this to be a tad more authentic than Germania Park but both are quite good.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

Damn do cellphone pictures suck or what? :huh:

gallery_23695_426_125890.jpg

Leberkäse platter (veal loaf) With Potato salad, sauerkraut and rye bread

gallery_23695_426_28428.jpg

and my Bauernwurst, same sides

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

We were in the area on Sunday and looked for Germania Park, but we couldn't find it. I didn't print out the directions because I thought Germania Park would show up on my navigation device, but it didn't. What is the park near?

Any other Oktoberfests of note coming up (since it's still September)?

Damn do cellphone pictures suck or what? :huh:

Well, YOURS certainly do! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

ETA: But we get the idea. :wink:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Bear Mt State Park has one just over the border off the Palisades Pkwy

This coming weekend and next

http://www.friendsofpalisades.org/files/a5e4d2f4.pdf

T

Maxine

My Webpage

• 2 weeks later...

From Rosie's NJM blog:

An Oktoberfest will be held at Circa, 37 Main St, High Bridge, featuring three live bands, traditional wood barrel tapping, six Oktoberfest beers on tap, roasted chicken, traditional wurst, roast beef, German potato salad, and sauerkraut. 1 to 7 PM; no cover charge; à la carte pricing for food and beverages. This is an outdoor event under a tent and will be held rain or shine. For information call 908-638-5560.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Rosie has a bunch of Octoberfest listings here on NJMyWay.

• 8 months later...

So its June and all ...but what the hell Germania Park in Dover is having an Oktoberfest this weekend and next

Saturdays start at 5 ....Sundays at Noon

like I need anymore German food

tracey

Maxine

My Webpage