• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Birthday dinner for 14 people

scarlet knight

My wife and I have been invited out to dinner for a big birthday with 12 other relatives (14 people total). It will be a Sunday night in October. Four people are from Fort Lee, six live in Livingston and four are from the Princeton area.

The organizers asked us to pick the restaurant. A couple of the people are not at all adventurous. Some are big complainers. My sister suggested a private room.

We are really into great and innovative restaurants. The rest of this crowd isn't. Also, we don't want to take this group down for a lot of money. Any ideas?

HP is definitely pricy, but if RL isn't a stretch, I'm going to offer the first thought that came to mind--Trattoria Fresco in Caldwell. I've not been as thrilled by the place as I was originally (and have learned that there has been a recent change in partnership there, but can't seem to get the full scoop), BUT. For a group of 14, esp w/limited eaters in the mix, I think you'd all be pleased. It's BYO, for starters, so you can save some $ and control what you drink, so it's good (:biggrin:). The menu ranges from interesting and more 'standard' apps, pastas, steaks, and even wood-fired pizzas. They don't have a private room, but they can definitely accommodate larger parties.

The full thread, with pics, is here.

TF website

And don't get me wrong; I don't think TF has taken a huge slide downhill; there's just something missing from earlier visits.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

What about Chan's Dragon Inn in Ridgefield? It's the whole tiki bar thing with very nicely done Chinese-American food.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

How about Trap Rock brewpub in Berkeley Heights, or the Huntley Taverne in Summit? You can get anything from a strip steak and potatoes to Asian accented fish, as well as a large selection of beers at Trap Rock. Huntley has an excellent wine list.

Also, Ora in Morristown (BYO) is a nice choice if there's nothing happening at the Community Theater next door. All three of these are going to be in the $35 to $50 a person range. Pierre's Bistro in Harding is also a consideration, and I'm sure they'd be willing to craft a special menu for you.

The next price point is significantly higher, but would add Pluckemin Inn and Copeland

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul, thank you for triggering our recollection. We plan on going to 3 West in Basking Ridge, the sister restaurant of Huntley Tavern and Trap Rock Brewery. We ate there exactly a year ago and we enjoyed it--both food and atmosphere.

Curlz, thanks for Trattoria Fresco. However, we ate there this spring and it was not as good as it used to be. Also, one of our Princeton relatives has had some health problems and we'd rather take a drive than make him go too far .

Speaking of TF, across the street is Nori. We had 23 people over our house for the Jewish New Year and we had a beautiful sushi platter from Nori as an appetizer. It was a big hit, even among professed non-sushi eaters who tried California roll and Philadelphia roll(smoked salmon and cream cheese).