• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Please tell me about the 21 Club

Mambwe

I made reservations here for an engagement dinner and other then knowing it is a classic i know nothing about the place. Is it loud? There will be 10 of us and I would like to be able to talk to each other. How is there food? I won't be going with foodies but I want the food to be good.

I have a special place in my heart for 21, as it is where my parents had their wedding dinner. I happen to like the food, but it isn't the quietest place. You should be able to talk to each other though.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

BTW, this is the only place I know of that still requires that gentleman wear a tie.

Yes, I went there for lunch in a casual business outfit, no tie or jacket, but a $300 Armani sweater. They wouldn't let me in, with reservation. To top it off, they of course allowed the 20-something overweight gal in the "Juicy" sweatpants to cruise right to her table. Went across the street to Acqua Pazza. Will never go to 21 again.