• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Siphons

Gabe Q

I am wanting to buy a siphon soon and I have been checking around the internet for different options. Most of the places I have been to use the ISI brand. But I have seen models that are considerably cheaper. I assume they all have a standard size for the charges so you can use them with any siphon brand.

So me question is, is there a considerable difference in quality between ISI siphons and cheaper models by other brands????

I have owned any number of siphons over the years. My advice is that you don't want to go less expensive than the baseline iSi, but rather you want to go more expensive -- more to the point, you want glass.

My experience is that, after 6 months or so, the metal soda siphons start to smell like "old canteen" and nothing you can do to them will get rid of that slightly musty smell and taste in the water.

--