• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first food salon

Chef Bradley

So, took a leap of faith towards the growth of my experience and future certification and entered my first cold food salon on Sept. 11th in Greensboro North Carolina. The show was hosted by Sysco Food Service and run by the ACF. Thought I'd share my bronze medal winning menu with everyone with a few pics I took. Thanks for those of you that suggested the great reference books.

Seafood Sausage w/ Roasted Fingerling Potato Terrine and Sauce Andalouse.

gallery_50697_5140_96871.jpg

Canapés Assortment: Sun-Dried Tomato and Goat Cheese Tartlet, Prosciutto and Melon Canapé and Roasted Yellow Pepper Mousse Profiterole.

gallery_50697_5140_428303.jpg

Pate de Campagne w/ Tart Apple Compote and Bosc Pear Crisp.

gallery_50697_5140_408620.jpg

Duck Galantine w/ Pistachios and Dried Cherries, Wood Fired Ginger Fig Tart and Balsamic Reduction.

gallery_50697_5140_461047.jpg

Rabbit Pie in Parmesan Prosciutto Crust, Tri-Colored Baby Beets and Beet Foam Essance.

gallery_50697_5140_308511.jpg

Trilogy of Salmon: Salmon Mousse w/ Sauce Gribiche, Gravlax w/ Dill Caper Aioli and Cedar Roasted Salmon w/ Red Onion Marmalade

gallery_50697_5140_63007.jpg

Lovely! Being in the land where rabbit is cheaper than pork, I'd love to make that pie. Plus, the ginger fig tart looks irresistable. Any chance you'd tell us a bit more about how to make those two treats?

For food competitions, they want us to cover everything in a layer of Aspic. The best thing to use is a really strong ratio of 16 oz. of gelatin dissolved in 1 gallon of water and held at a temp of about 85F. I then put 3 - 5 coats on everything to make it pop out like that. It takes a long time but it's worth it.

Abra, as far as the recipes for the items, I can type them up and PM them to you if you want.

These are absolutely gorgeous!!! I can only imagine all the lovely tastes and textures.

For a competition in which they require aspic, do the judges actually TASTE the gelee-enhanced plate, or would that detract from the excellence of the original dish? Is there a "judges' plate" which does not have the shiny skin? And are hot dishes similarly cloaked and presented cold for viewing?

Congratulation on your beautiful presentations and on your prize!

rachel

who can only stand and admire