• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salt-Packed Anchovies

fiftydollars

Hello,

I recently purchased some salt-packed anchovies from the good folks at Molinari's in North Beach (San Francisco). They did not have them refrigerated, so when I brought them home I put them directly in the pantry. Now that I need to use them, I notice that the label says refrigeration is required...

Should I toss 'em?

Here is a photo of the huge can of anchovies:

gallery_15065_680_55334.jpg

Edited by fiftydollars (log)

I've been using these salt packed anchovies for a number of years now. I've been able to successfully keep them in their tin can until I use them up. But I've also used a tupperware-type container with a tighter lid also. I just make sure there is salt covering the top layer.

It takes me about 2 years to use up a can of them, and they're good to the last filet.

Greg

I've been using these salt packed anchovies for a number of years now. I've been able to successfully keep them in their tin can until I use them up. But I've also used a tupperware-type container with a tighter lid also. I just make sure there is salt covering the top layer.

It takes me about 2 years to use up a can of them, and they're good to the last filet.

Greg

I agree, they last much much longer that the expiration date implies. My funniest anchovy story is I had put them in a clear pyrex container and pushed it to the back of the fridge. One day my son found them and thought it was something rotten and threw the away.

Woods

Edited by Woods (log)