• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch in Montclair

Dana329

I've been out of the loop for a bit and will be in Montclair on Sunday and would like to find some great food at lunch time.I've been raving about Montclair to my friend who just moved to the area, but realized I have only been there for dinner.

I'm not really picky about what kind of cuisine, as long as it's great food (and not really expensive; I'm not paying.)

Dana

I don't think most of the really good dinner places are open for lunch on Sunday. I know everyone really seems to like Raymonds on Church Street. I'm not sure if they only serve brunch on Sundary or if they serve lunch also. I think I heard that Table 8 on Bloomfield Ave. is now serving Sunday brunch. I usually go for breakfast/brunch at Bluestone Coffee on Watchung Ave. Very casual, but good food.

Susan

Raymond's serves their brunch menu until about 2:30. Then they close and re-open for dinner several hours later.

I don't think most of the really good dinner places are open for lunch on Sunday.  I know everyone really seems to like Raymonds on Church Street.  I'm not sure if they only serve brunch on Sundary or if they serve lunch also.  .....

Raymond's is definitely a good call, imo; very varied menu, so it's easy to please everyone in terms of choices. LOVE their stuffed french toast and their coffee. Keep in mind that it's BYO (as is much of Montclair), and there's a great wine shop (Amanti Vino) a few doors away.

Other thoughts:

Joe Bartoni's (if they're open; I was there on a Sunday in Aug and they weren't) on Valley Rd. is Italian-everything from great sandwiches to entrees, but again, I'd check to see if they're open. And if they are, sit on that lovely back patio!

Amazing Hot Dog is a hop/skip/jump away in Verona.

Indigo Smoke does a jazz brunch on Sunday, iirc.

Little Saigon is good food, increeeeeeeeedibly slow service. But good food!

I'm a fan of Bluestone (at Watchung Plaza) as well; love their coffee, and they have great zucchini bread, too!

Cianci on Church Street--NOT where you want to go. Trust me.

I haven't been (read that again...I HAVEN'T BEEN), but I haven't heard great stuff about Toast. Terrible service is consistently mentioned, as is bad coffee and smallish portions. Just sharing what I've heard from people who live in the neighborhood and who have been there more than once.

Onward. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Terrible service at Toast is putting it mildly; not just slow but chaotic. The food is adequate, as long as you don't want a breakfast pastry. Coffee orders confused them. That's about it.

But then again, I love the sandwiches at Cianci, and you get the feeling that someone is actually running that restaurant. That would be one of my choices for lunch if the limited Raymond's weekend brunch menu doesn't suit.

I don't think Bluestone is open for lunch weekends.

Raymond's is definitely a good call, imo; very varied menu, so it's easy to please everyone in terms of choices.  LOVE their stuffed french toast and their coffee.  Keep in mind that it's BYO (as is much of Montclair), and there's a great wine shop (Amanti Vino) a few doors away.

Cianci on Church Street--NOT where you want to go.  Trust me.

I haven't been (read that again...I HAVEN'T BEEN), but I haven't heard great stuff about Toast.  Terrible service is consistently mentioned, as is bad coffee and smallish portions.  Just sharing what I've heard from people who live in the neighborhood and who have been there more than once. 

Onward.  :smile:

Just wanted to clarify a couple of things about Raymond's. We serve our brunch on Saturdays and Sundays until 4:00. We do close in between lunch and dinner, but only for 90 minutes. There are both breakfast and lunch items on our menu. Also, while we are known for our French toast, it isn't stuffed (sorry, Curlz). You can see our menus at www.raymondsnj.com

Thanks,

Joanne

Mea culpa on the french toast! I guess it's b/c I always feel stuffed after I have it... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."