• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jello Whipped Foams / Toppings

NutellaBear

I've been playing with my new ISI Whipper with creating foams and other whipped items. Has anyone tried using Jello for a foam base in a whipper? Many of the techniques for creating foams are combinations of fruit juice with cream and gelatin. I was thinking about something time saving and quick by just throwing together Jello with heavy cream.

Any thoughts?

/Tim

Apparently you're not reading THESE posts over in the trend topic  :raz:  I'm with you - I still think foams are fun and useful.

Oh I agree. The "hydrocolloids" have gone way overboard. I wanted to use it on a dessert more as a garnish as opposed to serving a plate of the stuff. And I think that is totally appropriate.

I was thinking of a chocolate crepe sprinkled with a dash of powdered sugar with a dab of lemon-lime foam off to the side. Was going through espume recipes though and I had a thought that why couldn't I just throw some Jello into the darn thing and whip away.

At least so I thought. Maybe I think too much.

/Tim

I was thinking about something time saving and quick by just throwing together Jello with heavy cream.

Any thoughts?

/Tim

I don't mean this to sound as rude as it probably will but, since you asked, the fact that it might be quicker and easier is the only good thing I can think of that would come from using jello. But then I don't like jello, didn't even like it as a kid, so I'm biased.

P.S. I don't think fun with foams is played out. I can understand restaurants pushing to be the latest, greatest but at home there are no rules. If it's good and it's fun then who cares about what's "trendy".

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I don't mean this to sound as rude as it probably will but, since you asked, the fact that it might be quicker and easier is the only good thing I can think of that would come from using jello. But then I don't like jello, didn't even like it as a kid, so I'm biased.

P.S. I don't think fun with foams is played out. I can understand restaurants pushing to be the latest, greatest but at home there are no rules. If it's good and it's fun then who cares about what's "trendy".

Jello is gelatin mixed with flavorings. Would I be deemed of purer heart if I used some Texturas Gellan and mixed it with a lemon lime reduction?

Now admit it. The image below features prominently in your dreams ever since you ate too much Jello when you were a young pup in diapers. Your mother should not have turned her back on you, because apparently this incident scarred you for life! :biggrin:

characterall_mrgluesome_Region0510.jpg

/Tim