• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary and Kitchen-Related Pet Peeves

Saffy

4 hours ago, cakewalk said:

And hi back atcha! We need listeners!!

One of my pet peeves is the insistence on saying how many ingredients are in a recipe - and the lower the number, the better it's supposed to be. This trend seems to be relatively new, but it's everywhere. Only five ingredients!! Only three ingredients!!! I'm waiting for a recipe to blare: No Ingredients!! Yes, even you can make this mouth-watering dish using absolutely NO INGREDIENTS!!!!  

One of my pet peeves is when those "3-ingredient" or "4-ingredient" recipes include something like "2 envelopes of instant onion soup," or "1 box spice cake mix."

That's not one ingredient, people. It's anywhere from 6 to 20. 

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Okay, I'll bite. I notice a thread titled "Lasagna Wars." If we are being correct, the spelling of the dish that involves multiple layers of pasta is in fact spelled Lasagne. Lasagna is the singular, and means ONE NOODLE: specifically referring to one noodle of the style of the broad flat pasta shape used for the casserole dish called Lasagne, which is plural and denotes layers of Lasagna noodles. It isn't really different than calling a dish of long noodles "Spaghetty."

Only in America has the name of the dish become, by some sad corruption, "Lasagna." In Europe it is called Lasagne. End of whine.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Oh Dear God,  wheat in flour?  Next you will be telling me that there is corn in my corn meal.   And might there be oats in my oatmeal too?  Where will it end?

Turds in turducken

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 4 years later...
56 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

This is what I detached from a packet of "ready to cook" snow peas last night:

IMG_8155.thumb.jpg.6a84a4891cd23c03c69fbdb8825e9c64.jpg

I get the same things from what are called "stringless" beans in the grocery stores.  

Agreed.  Ready to cook - perhaps....ready to eat; doubtful!

Save it for stock.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This is what I detached from a packet of "ready to cook" snow peas last night:

IMG_8155.thumb.jpg.6a84a4891cd23c03c69fbdb8825e9c64.jpg

I get the same things from what are called "stringless" beans in the grocery stores.  

The beans I buy from Shoprite are not advertised as "ready to cook", but they are trimmed and require only a light rinse.  They are also $5.00 a pound.  Sometimes you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou