• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary and Kitchen-Related Pet Peeves

Saffy

I believe I read about unsprouted garlic being a pet peeve and that is certainly one of mine,

Do you mean that SPROUTED garlic is a pet peeve? I can't remember the last time I had garlic that sprouted-maybe it is where you are buying it? I usually buy mine at PCC, and I noticed one of the booth's at the Ballard Farmer's Market still had it last week.

Theo chocolate (http://www.theochocolate.com) in fremont always has nibs.

I picked up some more nibs at the Whole Foods by my house (Bellevue). They sell the Del Rey brand and it was located by the fine chocolates display (near the bakery).

I'm thinking the other Whole Foods have nibs too...perhaps in a different place than I'd expect (end unit vs. baking isle). It's worth asking...

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

Dilletante has cocao nibs for way cheaper than Peets or Theo.

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

• 4 weeks later...

side note on tofu

all the Korean markets like .. Paldo World, H market, Boohan ... in Federal Way south to Tacoma have fantastic fresh tofu in all stages very very soft to very firm and a lot of them make their own

it seems good Korean food and the tofu stops just at the South King North Pierce Co boarder

pet peave

hmmmmm

finding great inexpensive Indian or Middle Eastern(Persian or other) Restuarants as mentioned above ..and finding good Middle Eastern or Indian Markets

other than in Vancouver BC ...

if there are any ..I have completely missed them in my extensive journey's and I would be most happy if you would correct me!....Pabla's in Renton is ok for Indian but that is it..I have not found a place where I would go out of my way to shop and eat ..so I take about 4 trips a year to Vancouver for just that purpose!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Hummingbirdkiss - agreed on no good Middle Eastern. Ever since going to Israel I've been on the search for shawarma as good as the stuff I had there... I've been to TONS of places in Seattle, nothing comparable at all. BUT Vancouver does have some great places that are just as good as the stuff in Israel... I've made my own too but it's a pain and doesn't taste quite the same unless it's fresh of the spit. Oh shawarma...

Hummingbirdkiss - agreed on no good Middle Eastern. Ever since going to Israel I've been on the search for shawarma as good as the stuff I had there... I've been to TONS of places in Seattle, nothing comparable at all. BUT Vancouver does have some great places that are just as good as the stuff in Israel... I've made my own too but it's a pain and doesn't taste quite the same unless it's fresh of the spit. Oh shawarma...

sigh ...I know ....shawarma I have made it at home as well..good yes...but ...not the same ...

my son mentioned that there is one tiny Persian joint in or around a friend of a friend mentioned that was supposed to be good but I have yet to get the name from him ....I would love to find any good Middle Eastern food here and know we do have a population that would support it...

I would love to find some sour cherry rice!!!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

sigh ...I know ....shawarma I have made it at home as well..good yes...but ...not the same ...

my son mentioned that there is one tiny Persian joint in or around a friend of a friend mentioned that was supposed to be good but I have yet to get the name from him ....I would love to find any good Middle Eastern food here and know we do have a population that would support it...

I would love to find some sour cherry rice!!!

The Caspian Grill in the U-District has really good Persian Food.

Cheers,

Carolyn

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

J.R.R. Tolkien

Regarding Vya- U. Village QFC has 750s of the Dry and the Sweet. Whole Foods (Roosevelt) has 375s of both, back in the "fancy wine" room.

My gripe isn't just seattle per se but the states and it's restrictions on good french cheeses- raw milk! and add sausages like saussison sec to the list!

Delaurenti's has all butter puff pastry in the freezer section for 2.69 a lb. Folded, but easily unfolded and used.

Cocao nibs can be purchased at dilletante on Broadway and maybe even at the factory store.

I haven't been in a safeway in years, the one by us (U. Village) still sucks.

lalala

I have a relatively uninteresting life unless you like travel and food. Read more about it here.

The Caspian Grill in the U-District has really good Persian Food.

Cheers,

thank you I will try it!

Not as good as homemade, but my parents like it.

and add sausages like saussison sec to the list!

I don't know if it's comparable to what you get in France, but Porcella has saussison sec and I like it a lot. :wub:

I haven't tried it but I will if I ever get my butt over to the eastside. DeLaurentis does get it in sometimes, and garlic sausage but in France it is just the nicest little hard sausage- i love it!

Delaurenti's has all butter puff pastry in the freezer section for 2.69 a lb. Folded, but easily unfolded and used.

PFI has all butter puff pastry for much less and unfolded.

Rocky

Very cool. I'll have to go check it out.

Are they open on Sundays?

lalala