• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary and Kitchen-Related Pet Peeves

Saffy

I HATE it when I have prepared a meal, with all the elements timed perfectly, only to have those who are eating come to the table fifteen minutes later because they just can't tear themselves away from the television or the computer!!! GRRRRRRR! :angry:

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

I can't believe no one has said this one: I hate it when the server offers the pepper (or cheese) before I have even had a chance to taste my food. The other day, I actually said to the guy, "can I taste my food first please?" Needless to say I never did get the peppermill guy back.

Basildog - Add the gratuity for large parties, or at least hint it to them if they leave it off.

Finally, I think we'll name our next dog Peeve. That way I can say to guests, "this is our pet, Peeve."

I love that Pet Peeve thing, Rachel. I'm stealing it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I hate it when waiters put their mini leather check - books in their pants under their belt in the back and then give it to you when its time for you bill...gross...

I must admit that I had never seen this before, until today that is. A couple of friends and I went to a new place for lunch ("contemporary European" cuisine - personally, I'd prefer ancient European, but that's another topic), and all of the wait staff had their leatherette check books stuck down the back of their pants. When I pointed out the gross inappropriateness of this, one of my companions quipped: "it gives new meaning to the phrase "check out that ass!"".

I asked one of the waiters one time, politely, why he did this and didnt he think it was slightly unsanitary...but he mentioned to me that this checkbook "wasnt given to his tables"...but still..at the end of the night I doubt they wash these checkbooks....

Indon't believe the creature designated "scampi" by the Italians is in fact shrimp.  Perhaps someone can enlighten us.  Even Dr Balic, whatever he thinks of Elvis Presley?

Ok, Ok, I found it (and stand corrected):

"Scampi" pl. "Scampo" sg. is 'Prawn' ( Nephrops Norvegicus ), almost identical to the langustine and Dublin Bay Prawn.

Now 'Shrimp' are "Gambero" sg., "Gamberi" pl. to include gambero imperiale and gambero rosso

This is according to my book: 'The dictionary of Italian Food and Drink'

by John Mariani.

But never the less, it still pees me off when I see it as "Shrimp Scampi" on the menu. And I maintain : 'it's not a preparation method', maybe percieved by some/many. Ok, you win.

Plus, I stick with my hot vs. luke warm coffee.

The title of this post is "Pet Peeves", and so it is.

Peter

The giant pepper mill was at one time a symbol of a specific "phallus"--that of an international polo player, race car driver, debutante dater, playboy Porfirio Rubirosa. A South American, he was reputed to have an extraordinary appendage. For many years at establishments frequented by international "cafe society" one could ask for the "Rubirosa" and that gigantic peppermill would be brought to your table. This was true here in New York within the last decade even though he was a celebrity in the "30's and 40's. True, I swear! :cool:

Kitchen Kutie

"I've had jutht about enough outta you!"--Daffy Duck

I,m all ears...how do i hint? :biggrin:

As I said before, I wouldn't hint. I'd add the gratuity for large parties automatically, clearly labeled on the check. For the really large party you described (sounds like they had the whole restaurant), you should have made it part of the discussion when they booked. For regular large parties of 6-8 guests, handwrite on the bill, "For your convenience, a __% service charge has been added to your check." Or get a stamp made that says something to that effect. You have a nice place and this is a common practice here in the states, is it an uncommon practice in your area of the world?

Hints are much harder. Let's see... If you spy them leaving and have noticed a lack of tip, quietly and to the side* ask of the person that paid the bill, "Was everything to your satisfaction?" If they say yes, you could say "OK, it's just that we do not automatically add a service charge, instead it is customary to leave a gratuity for the server, perhaps you are not familiar with this custom?"

* Important to do this quietly, perhaps asking them to step away from the table or the group of people leaving the establishment, "Excuse me sir, may I speak with you a moment?" They will assume there was an issue with the credit card or something else to that effect and will be glad you did it away from their guests.

I hate the use of the giant pepper grinder (phallic symbol?) as a prop, available only at the server's pleasure, rather than a more modest grinder remaining on the table as a proper condiment for use whenever one chooses.

I've talked to a few folks in the biz and they maintain that places that try to use individual peppermills at the tables see them being stolen at a fairly impressive rate.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

For regular large parties of 6-8 guests, handwrite on the bill, "For your convenience, a __% service charge has been added to your check." Or get a stamp made that says something to that effect. You have a nice place and this is a common practice here in the states, is it an uncommon practice in your area of the world?

Well, I think you would have to let people know very clearly in advance. It is not sufficiently common practice in England for one to assume it will be accepted without demur. Basildog does not want phrases like "daylight robbery" bouncing off the walls.

When I hear someone order a "Cranberry and Vodka" at a bar

What would you prefer they request if they desire a cocktail composed of Cranberry Juice and Vodka?

Vodka & Cranberry, of course - it's an ex-bartender thing.

Kinda like when you're busy, someone waves their money for you to come over - you make it over to them and then they turn around to ask their group what they want - or....

The double/triple order - you order a round and then add a drink or two after the bartender has made a round - that's a double. Repeat and you have a triple order

The list goes on

• 3 years later...

I just figured I'd ask the multitude of professional bartenders and customers what they don't like about the bar experience. Have anything that makes you fume, blanch, or run like the devil? Cell phones ringing, pre-made mixers, whatever.

My personal favorite is after you hand someone a menu, they calmly place it aside, then ask what you have for drinks/beer/wine.

As a customer, I hate when the bartender asks the lady what she'd like, and the guy says "yeah, gimme a ..." right over her.

Admins feel free to squash this. I'm just curious, but I don't want to start trouble.... :wink:

I think an admin should remove this thread.  I didn't realize how negative it sounded until I looked at it later.  This forum is a pretty positive place, so I don't want to be the one to bring that raincloud in.

My vote goes to keeping this thread. It's good to hear what people hate!

As a customer I hate waiting too long for my check. If I can see the bartender is busy I don't mind too much as long as he/she ackowledges that they're aware that I'm ready to leave. But if the bartender isn't busy, then I want my check as quickly as is humanly possible. If I ask for a check, then I've obviously made up my mind to leave.

I guess when I'm behind the bar what I hate most is people who talk down to the bartender as if he/she is just a peon, and they are "oh so important." Everyone deserves a little respect (until they prove they don't deserve it).

“The practice is to commence with a brandy or gin ‘cocktail’ before breakfast, by way of an appetizer. Subsequently, a ‘digester’ will be needed. Then, in due course and at certain intervals, a ‘refresher,’ a ‘reposer,’ a ‘settler,’ a ‘cooler,’ an ‘invigorator,’ a ‘sparkler,’ and a ‘rouser,’ pending the final ‘nightcap,’ or midnight dram.” Life and Society in America by Samuel Phillips Day. Published by Newman and Co., 1880.

Like Gary, I think it's possible to talk about things one doesn't like or that could be improved in a positive way.

For me, there are two pet peeves I have when it comes to bartenders, and I guess they both come down to attitude:

1. When the bartender won't listen to me or condescends to me.

I am reminded of an experience I had in a very good and no-I-won't-name-it NYC bar: It was a slow night. I was in the mood for a Sidecar and told the bartender I liked them at around 2:1:1, which formula I had been drinking at the time under the influence of Dave Wondrich. The bartender said something to the effect of "I've been making Sidecars for 20 years, and I know how to make a Sidecar." He proceeded to make me a 2:2:1 Sidecar, saying "this is how we make them here." And, here's the thing: The Sidecar sucked. Now I've had Sidecars in many different formulations (3:2:1, 2:2:1, 2:1:1, 1:1:1), and liked them all. I don't even mind the suggestion that I might like a drink a different way. So that wasn't it. It was more that his attitude was equally reflected in his response to my request and his care in making the drink (which in this case was watered). But even if it had been great, my mood was broken.

2. If it's clear that the bartender really doesn't want to be there.

This cuts in a lot of directions. If you're a hardcore classic mixologist and disdainful of the beer-and-a-shot crowd, then don't work in a beer-and-a-shot bar. If you don't have any enthusiasm for complex cocktails that take attention and care to craft, then don't work in a specialty cocktail bar.

--