• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary and Kitchen-Related Pet Peeves

Saffy

I went to a diner in Philly, with a group, after a party.

Our waitress informed us that since it was after midnight, we had to pay our check BEFORE she put the order in the kitchen. And to top it off, since we were a group the tip was automatically added to the check :angry:

Just try to get another cup of coffe :hmmm:

I hate it when I am forced to buy bottled water...

I regard that as scandalous, and would encourage anyone who has that experience to name the restaurant. It has never happened to me yet, but I am all set to walk over to the men's room with an empty glass and come back with the tap water I asked for. :angry::angry::angry:

Pet peeves.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I regard that as scandalous, and would encourage anyone who has that experience to name the restaurant.  It has never happened to me yet, but I am all set to walk over to the men's room with an empty glass and come back with the tap water I asked for.  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Thank goodness I read to the end of the sentence. Rounding that corner from "walk over to the men's room and come back with", I was a little nervous. :wink:

I hate it when . . .

. . . your server waits until the precise moment your mouth is full and then asks you "Is everything OK?"

Without missing a beat or putting down a utensil I immediately give them a silent "Thumbs Up."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

...when the meal and the service were good and the meal was excellent, but then it comes time to settle the check and your server dissapears into that alternate reality that they share with car salesmen.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I hate it when I am forced to buy bottled water...

I regard that as scandalous, and would encourage anyone who has that experience to name the restaurant. It has never happened to me yet, but I am all set to walk over to the men's room with an empty glass and come back with the tap water I asked for. :angry::angry::angry:

Well lots of places don't really give you choice, they just insist you either want carbonated or flat bottled water. Then they keep filling your glass and then open another bottle....

I've gotten really feisty and have started saying "tap water from the faucet is fine."

I hate it when I'm served cold bread. Especially since it usually comes with cold butter, which I hate even more than cold bread.

what? No, the places in Chicago that do this save them for celebrities that ususally do not show, hence leaving these tables open all night...im not saying that it is me personally wanting these tables...just an observation...

and p.s. why do you personally try to be put me down every chance you get...give it a break already...

ok sorry...these tables sit there w reserved tags on them for hours at a time...and if you inquire about them...they simply mention that they are reserved...and you usually dont ever see anyone sitting at them...the places the do this in Chicago are usually the very newly opened places or the trendy sidewalk people viewing places...I think they think that people will percieve this as the restaurant having very exclusive customers, but I find it annoying and dishonest...

I read somewhere that servers intentionally wait until your mouth is full to ask if everything is ok. It might've even been on egullet. Ever since, I've been waiting for it to happen again. I'm torn between making them wait until I've swallowed my food, or grossing them out by answering with a mouthfull of food. Do you think they do this on purpose? I'm beginning to think they do. I hear of it frequently.

John the hot dog guy

I hate having to 'settle up' with the barman when my table is ready.

I want someone to announce my table, place my drinks on a tray and direct me to my table. My liquor bill should appear on my dinner check. I've already waited for my table. I don't wish to wait longer while my card is swiped. I'm quite capable of leaving a 5 or 10 for the barman and will carry those denominations whenever I go out with the sole purpose in mind of tipping the bartender (along with singles or fives to take care of valet parkers, coatcheck, and the increasingly rare restroom attendants). I carry sufficient cash for gratuities even when using plastic.

I think the practice is rude, especially in places where the average check tops 100 dollars.

Nick

I hate when dinner guests ask for a napkin, not knowing the cloth one I decoratatively placed on their plate, is just that.

I hate it when people put salt and pepper on their food without tasting it.

I hate it when, in a restaurant, the waiter places my fork and knife on the table besides me, after finishing the salad.

I hate it when people don't make use of the designated silverware.

I hate it when waiters add coffee to my unfinished cup, totally messing up my right proportioning of sugar and cream.

I hate to read the menu terms: "Shrimp Scampi" and "Coquille St. Jacques"

Peter