• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary and Kitchen-Related Pet Peeves

Saffy

I hate it when....

recipes have things like

"- 3 squares of baking chocolate !!! ??" How much is a square, how big, how much does it weigh

When they state a brand but not the product!!

3 tblspns of shreddo .. what the heck is shreddo ?? !! :angry:

and I hate it when..

I am grating nutmeg or parmesan and I grate my finger :sad:

Here in the U.S., the big commercial brand of baking chocolate (Baker's) packages their product in 1-oz squares, 8 squares to a package. (Each square is scored so that you break it in half easily.) So 3 squares = 3 oz, and you can substitute accordingly if you are using a different brand.

Understandable. But here are some hints, aka trucs:

Standard size and weight of a square of baking chocolate is 1 ounce (by weight) Each little paper-wrapped piece = 1 "square."

Huh? I agree. Then you have read the recipe carefully for clues as to what this stuff might be, what country it's from, what region, and then try find the cheapest air fare to go buy it at its source.

Get yourself a microplane. Or several. They are THE BEST for grating just about anything, and it's hard -- although not impossible -- to hurt yourself. One of the greatest crossovers -- no THE GREATEST -- from the shop to the kitchen, EVER.

OK, my latest peeve? When manufacturers reduce the size of their packaged goods, but charge the same price. Especially when recipes call for a specific size of canned product - condensed milk, tomatoes, chicken broth etc. - but the new standard size is one or two ounces less. So you either have to use less, which can affect the outcome of the dish, or buy two cans and waste most of one. Grrrr. :angry:

I hate it when

1) salads are overdressed

2) macaroni is overcooked

3) waiters want to be my best friend

4) drinks are mixed way under strength

5) the wait staff can't cope that I like to eat my salad last

I hate it when

1) salads are overdressed

2) macaroni is overcooked

3) waiters want to be my best friend

4) drinks are mixed way under strength

1. When a co-diner (be it at the lunchroom at work or at a restaurant) looks at your meal and says something like "Yuck. You mean you are going to eat that?" or "that's disgusting."

2. When we go to friends' houses with the kids and they feed the kids first, and feed them something like kraft macaroni and cheese and generic hot dogs or those frozen "chicken" thingies. Saving the good stuff for adults, of course, while the hostess complains that she always has to cook two separate meals.

3. Wait staff not refilling empty water glasses.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

or these:

your server brings the food and says "Ok, who gets the salmon?"

my shrimp aren't deveined

waiters who wear printed t shirts (like a Mettalica tshirt) under their white work shirt and it shows through

in a party of more than 8 when they add the gratuity to an already confusing bill and they dont tell you or mark it appropriately

quoting specials w out telliing u the prices

when your main course comes almost too immediately after your appetizer or worse yet while you are still eating your appetizers...

2. When we go to friends' houses with the kids and they feed the kids first, and feed them something like kraft macaroni and cheese and generic hot dogs or those frozen "chicken" thingies. Saving the good stuff for adults, of course, while the hostess complains that she always has to cook two separate meals

We do that. Our 4 year old probably would not eat the stuff we serve at dinner parties...he doesnt much care for foie gras, lobster or caviar or other adult tasting dishes...so we usually serve him and any other kids if there...something easy (like mac and cheese, turkey, "chicken thingies" etc...) and they watch a movie...

Although I dont complain about fixing 2 separate meals...

I hate when the waitstaff at Outback restaurants sit down at your table. I've only been to this place once but I was assured by a friend that they do it all the time.

I also really hate when servers lean down on the table when they write my order in their pad.

Honestly I had never even thought about waitstaff slipping the leather/vinyl check holder in their pants until I just read it in another post. That is sooooo very wrong.

"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." - H. L. Mencken

OK, my latest peeve? When manufacturers reduce the size of their packaged goods, but charge the same price. Especially when recipes call for a specific size of canned product

Or worse when you know that the product has always been in the same sized can, and a recipe states that you need 1 - 2 oz more than the can holds.

Oh yeah.. one other thing.. recipes that sound perfectly alright, until you get to

** one cup of bisquick**

-When your server says "does everything taste good?"

-When the check comes before dessert

-When the server at Macaroni grille says "here's some Italian butter" (evoo & pepper) -possibly the stupidest, most condescending thing I've ever been told in a restaurant.

I like to have my salad with my main meal

When I was in the US this too seemed to be an almost impossible request in many places.

I would get " are you sure madam ? "

oh yeah.. and calling me madam.. makes me feel old ! blah :blink:

I think I am on a roll here.

I hate everything too.

I hate when I go to a place hoping to have a simple, quick meal and it takes forever and ever to get it.

And I don't want to know my waiter's name and I don't want him/her to ask me if everything's okay because if it isn't chances are he won't do anything to make it right anyway.

I hate when I order an unusual dish or combination and the person waiting on me makes a face as if to imply that I'm ordering something gross and disgusting.

To put it simply - I really hate just about everything.