• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Megeve

bleudauvergne

Hello, I know this is probably a long shot. We are going to spend the weekend in Megève, and I would like to know if anyone can mention some informal and modestly priced establishments for dinner - we're not ready for Mark Veyrat. What we're looking for are where they have had nice after-ski meals in cozy atmospheres with not so pricey yet well prepared food. Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks,

Lucy

Michel Gaudin, carrefour d'Arly, 04 50 21 02 18, has a long history behind him. For some years he and his wife owned l'Auberge de Atre Fleuri in St. Pierre de Chartreuse (immortalized by Roy Andreis de Groot), then went on to one or two Michelin starred places, and finally settled in this lower key establishment in Megeve. It's been several years since I ate there, but the food was good -- no longer ambitious, but very competant. (I don't mean that as a put-down.)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Hi, we're back from the weekend in Megeve. We went to Michel Gaudin - and it was ... interesting.

I'm not sure he's still in the kitchen, though.

The guy at the inn where we stayed said he was on the verge of retirement.

A very memorable weekend in all ! Thank you for your responses. Tonight I will post in this thread the places where we went.

-Lucy

• 10 months later...

Now we're off to Megeve. Shame Lucy never posted her final reviews (hint, hint). Any recent recommendations for someone not ready to fork out 289 euros for the least expensive menu chez Marc Veyrat?

Or else convince me that I should indeed come up with the €.

Louisa' suggestion of Flocons de Sel is a great one -- it's a wonderful restaurant, but not inexpensive, except at lunch. I think there's a lunch for about 32 euros --if you're not on the slopes, you should really consider it. For a less expensive taste of the chef's food, try Le Puck, right next to the skating rink in town.

• 2 weeks later...
Louisa' suggestion of Flocons de Sel is a great one -- it's a wonderful restaurant, but not inexpensive, except at lunch.  I think there's a lunch for about 32 euros --if you're not on the slopes, you should really consider it.  For a less expensive taste of the chef's food, try Le Puck, right next to the skating rink in town.

We couldn't get in to Flocons as they were booked up the entire time. We did walk by and it looked wonderful. Also there is a cavist (wine shop) below the restaurant that must be the best one in town -- though it was closed when we went by they opened it up for us so we could buy a FANTASTIC bottle of 2000 Jamet Cote Rotie.

Had a nice if not especially memorable meal at La Ferme de Marie -- lovely ambience and good service, okay but not fantastic wine list.

Our other dinner out was a disaster -- Le Fer a Cheval. Though recommended by several friends and other sources, we hated everything about it except for the (very pretty) room. The service had pretentions to 1/2-star but was seriously amateurish. Bad piped-in pop music spoiled what would have otherwise been a charming ambiance. But the real disaster was the food -- every dish, without exception, involved heavy, rich ingredients. The cooking was heavy handed and the dishes so rich and saturated in butter that we each only ate a tiny proportion of what was on our plates and still went home feeling sick. Really a place to avoid.

On the other hand the snow was fantastic!!

Chris

Now we're off to Megeve.  Shame Lucy never posted her final reviews (hint, hint). 

Alas, I didn't have anything much to say about our dining experiences in Megeve from last year. We were off season (mid-April), and even then we could not get in to Flocons de Sel. With many other places closed or deserted, and I suspect our experience at Gaudin's restaurant was affected by the fact that we were one of three tables they had that night. We did not feel that it was remarkable enough to recommend it to anyone else. We had a picnic while skiing and another meal in a pleasant creperie. Lovely teahouse with yummy specialties one afternoon. Nothing much to report. :rolleyes:

• 4 months later...

I'm off to Megeve for the w/e and am interested in any good recs for better value (read: cheaper) restaurants. The impression I get from the threads up-post is that unless you go off to Marc Veyrat and are willing to splash out, the options are not particularly good.

Anyway, any recommendations are gratefully received.

• 1 year later...
any restaurant  suggestions? : :rolleyes:

La Taverne du Mont d'Arbois & Le Vieux Megève aint all that bad. There's also a pizza place that's acceptable.

For my money, however, I'd recommend going over to Italy (horrors) to La Maison de Filippo in Courmayeur or to the Ferme de Lormay (Chez Albert) in Le Grand-Bornand 33 km from Annecy or to Annecy itself.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

if you have the time drive up the mountain for lunch a few miles past Mont d'Arbois to the altiport which has a lovely outside dining area with a stunning alpine vista and very good local food...you can also watch the small planes negotiating the tight turn against the 2000ft col to land on the airfield.....we enjoyed Flocons de Sel for dinner, can recommend :smile:

Host's Note

Instead of quoting myself from the topic Gagit initiated a while back on the same subject, I'll merge all.

Price is no object.Tradional food in the area most desired. will give you a full report on my website www.aggit.net thanks for your help