• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ed Mitchell Comes to Raleigh

Varmint

Ed Mitchell, the famed "Pitmaster" of eastern style North Carolina barbecue, has a deal in the works with local developer/restaurateur Greg Hatem to open a new barbecue joint in Raleigh. Gourmet's "Diary of a Foodie" was filming a segment on Mitchell in his hometown of Wilson, NC on Monday. It will be interesting to see how things work out, as Mitchell is still involved in litigation regarding his previous restaurant.

Mitchell is certainly a great promoter and he can make some mighty fine barbecue, and I hope his partnering with Hatem will give him the business expertise that he always lacked. Regardless, Raleigh could FINALLY be a barbecue destination. I can't wait for that.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ed Mitchell, the famed "Pitmaster" of eastern style North Carolina barbecue, has a deal in the works with local developer/restaurateur Greg Hatem to open a new barbecue joint in Raleigh.  Gourmet's "Diary of a Foodie" was filming a segment on Mitchell in his hometown of Wilson, NC on Monday.  It will be interesting to see how things work out, as Mitchell is still involved in litigation regarding his previous restaurant. 

Mitchell is certainly a great promoter and he can make some mighty fine barbecue, and I hope his partnering with Hatem will give him the business expertise that he always lacked.  Regardless, Raleigh could FINALLY be a barbecue destination.  I can't wait for that.

When I saw the title caption I was hoping your post had to do with a new restaurant rather than a drive-by appearance. This is certainly exciting news for the entire NC BBQ community.

• 1 month later...

Ed Mitchell and Greg Hatem will be opening this place in the space where Nana's Chophouse was. Expected opening day is Monday, November 26 for dinner only. Having just eaten some of his barbecue, I'm officially excited about his arrival to Raleigh.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites