• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adriana's Caravan in Ardmore Farmers Market

Bobby 2 Shakes

I just went there for the first time today. I'm still woozy from the selection, what with the hyperventilating and all. I picked up some asafoetida, whole fenugreek seeds, licorice root sticks, ajwain, whole achiote seeds, saffron and other more common items. It's run by a really nice lady named Rochelle Zabarkes, and she commutes from NY every week. She told me that that they have every kind of food in NY, so if I call her Sunday, she can bring whatever I want on Tuesday, if she doesn't already have it.

The location is in the Ardmore Farmer's Market right by the door across from Trader Joe's in the same lot.

I did an eGullet site search on the name and apparently she had a location at the Grand Central Market in NY at one time. Folks expressed regret that it wasn't there. Prices look pretty reasonable, especially considering the location.

Here is the link to the website.

• 4 weeks later...

I went back to the Ardmore Farmers Market today and bought some more spices. I asked Rochelle about what happened at the Grand Central Market and she told me that her lease expired and the GCM management didn't offer her a new lease and put a Penzey's chain store in her place.

Too bad she didn't have folks fighting for her like Rick Oliveri. But then again, we wouldn't have access to the spices she has here. I bought some mastic today and some spice mixes. She puts the ingredients on the label of her mixes and is knowlegeable about herbs, spices, extracts and ingredients in general.