• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American Restaurant in Manhattan for Dinner

Mambwe

I need to find a nice restaurant that serves American cuisine and can accomodate a party of 9 or 10. Anywhere in Manhattan. The only catch is I need this for two weeks from this weekend. Can you give me some nice restaurants that you know of that fit this description. I called EMP and they are booked. I will be forever indebted to whoever can help me out. This will be for an engagement dinner(mine). So, American food, in Manhattan, able to handle 9-10 people, nice atmosphere and good food. As far as price, along the lines of the water club and EMP. Thank you.

I think I have an idea, but what exactly do you mean by "American Cuisine?" Also for the sake of clarity, what cost would you be anticipating from EMP or the Water Club?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think I have an idea, but what exactly do you mean by "American Cuisine?" Also for the sake of clarity, what cost would you be anticipating from EMP or the Water Club?

I am thinking between $1000-1500 for the meal. Some people coming don't eat seafood or anything that is too wild. So, I just want a place that would appeal to everyone. We did this once before for another family member and it was at the Water Club and it went over fine. So, something with food similar to that would be fine. Nothing like WD-50 or too ethnic.

Please let me know your idea!!!!

Gramercy Tavern and the Harrison both have private rooms that might work for you.

Hearth is excellent.

Blue Hill has a private room as well, and great food.

If you're willing to go Italian, I'd look into Lupa and Peasant.

For a party that size I would suggest you call the restaurants directly.

I am thinking between $1000-1500 for the meal. Some people coming don't eat seafood or anything that is too wild. So, I just want a place that would appeal to everyone. We did this once before for another family member and it was at the Water Club and it went over fine. So, something with food similar to that would be fine. Nothing like WD-50 or too ethnic.

$1000 for a party of 10 at EMP? I assume you mean before tax, tip and booze.

EMP on their website lists their 3 course dinner as 82 dollars. if you drink 40 dollars average per person in booze, and leave 20% tip, you'll spend 156 per person, or, 1560 for a group of 10, which is 60 dollars over the OP's stated limit. i'd say it's well worth it!

Edited by tommy (log)

EMP on their website lists their 3 course dinner as 82 dollars. if you drink 40 dollars average per person in booze, and leave 20% tip, you'll spend 156 per person, or, 1560 for a group of 10, which is 60 dollars over the OP's stated limit. i'd say it's well worth it!

Don't forget 8.75% NYC tax

Don't forget 8.75% NYC tax

i didn't. although i computed 8% because i couldn't be bothered with the extra keying.

So, Mambwe, have you had any luck yet?

You know, if you're willing to consider a very short commute into Brooklyn, Dressler's pretty good for the price. It's right down the block from Peter Luger's. My family once had a large-party meal there that worked for everyone and fell within your price range, though I must say it was rather difficult to converse with everyone at the long, smack-in-the-middle table.

I just thought of another one, often-overlooked but surprisingly good for the price:

Northsquare

Located in the Washington Square Hotel, on the NW corner of Washington Square Park, and right across the street from Babbo.

They have a nice, quiet lounge that would be perfect for a large party, if you all want to be able to hear each other.

I am still looking. I am trying to get it wrapped up today. The only place that I have booked is the 21 Club and that was just to book something. I am not sure if that place is well suited for this type of dinner but it was the first place that I thought of.

I have also realized that I probably do not want to go with any price fixed menu, more of an a la carte deal. Also to appeal to everyone coming I think there will need to be something simple like steak on the menu.

Edited by Mambwe (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Since the weekend is over, I figured I would tell everyone where we went for dinner. I was hoping for EMP or Gramercy Tavern since we have been to and love those places. They were both booked and in the end on a recommendation from my parents we went to the Four Seasons Restaurant. I couldn't have been happier with the choice. We were celebrating the engagement of my Fiancee and myself and this restaurant was perfect for this type of occasion. The service was impeccable as was the food and decor. We ate in the Pool Room and it was gorgeous. We were able to carry a conversation and celebrate the occasion, which is what I wanted. The waitstaff was great and really took care of us. They took pictures of us and really made it a memorable occasion. I don't know the story behind it, but we were given two huge plates of cotton candy at the end of dinner. Anyone know what the deal is with the cotton candy?

Here is what I had, everything was delicious:

Apps:

Oyster Selection

Saffron and Seafood Risotto

Entrees:

Venison with huckleberry sauce

Dessert:

Grand Marnier Souffle

Petit Fours

Cotton Candy

On Friday, we went to Le Bernardin for dinner. We both had the Chef Tasting which was delicious. My only gripe about the restaurant was that we spent $800(including drink, tax & tip) and we really weren't that full. We were both satisfied, but I was expecting to be full. I probably could have had a dirty water dog on the corner of 51st and been fine. I've had other tasting menu's and each time I had trouble eating the dessert. Otherwise, everything was fantastic.

This afternoon we stopped by Hill Country and had some beef/pork ribs, Moist brisket, Jalepeno Sausage and some other sides. This place is awesome. Lots of smoky goodness.

Overall, we had a great weekend in manhattan with lots of yummy food.