• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

agar agar with acid mixture

iii_bake

Depending on concentration, of course, citric acid generally has a lower pH than lemon juice (5% citric acid is 1.87; lemon juice is about 2.3), so citric acid isn't likely to help.

There's a good discussion of agar and other Asian gelling agents here.

But it seems to me that if you want a "crystallized sheet," you might want to use something other than agar -- maybe isomalt?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

But it seems to me that if you want a "crystallized sheet," you might want to use something other than agar -- maybe isomalt?

I am working on Thai dessert made from cooking agar agar with syrup until thivk and leave to dry until the skin crystalized.

It is normally a very sweet thin so i need to make a sour ones.

And for the heating...i ahve been boliling the mixture for qutie sometime...still it does not set.

I wonder what other dept. of alanamoana used to make the lemon agar agar :huh:

Any more comments please....

we used to make a lemon flavored agar (not my department), but it set up fine.  i realize that it doesn't set up as well with acidic ingredients.  does heating the juice affect any change in the pH?  agar does have to be boiled to dissolve.

I think you may be doomed, if you must boil the agar in lemon juice.

Agar is a polysaccharide: a bunch of sugar molecules hooked together. If you want to chemically break up a polysaccharide, a common way to do so is to boil in an acidic water solution. You might want to do such a thing, on purpose, when you're making caramel: this is why many recipes call for a touch of lemon juice or cream of tartar in with the sugar and water.

If you're boiling agar to get it to dissolve, and you have acid in with the rest of the stuff, you're starting to dismantle the structure of the agar. It won't set as well once you've started to chew the molecules apart, and that's where your problem is coming from. You have a better chance at getting this to work if you can wait to add the acid till after the agar has been boiled.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

we used to make a lemon flavored agar (not my department), but it set up fine.  i realize that it doesn't set up as well with acidic ingredients.  does heating the juice affect any change in the pH?  agar does have to be boiled to dissolve.

I think you may be doomed, if you must boil the agar in lemon juice.

Agar is a polysaccharide: a bunch of sugar molecules hooked together. If you want to chemically break up a polysaccharide, a common way to do so is to boil in an acidic water solution. You might want to do such a thing, on purpose, when you're making caramel: this is why many recipes call for a touch of lemon juice or cream of tartar in with the sugar and water.

If you're boiling agar to get it to dissolve, and you have acid in with the rest of the stuff, you're starting to dismantle the structure of the agar. It won't set as well once you've started to chew the molecules apart, and that's where your problem is coming from. You have a better chance at getting this to work if you can wait to add the acid till after the agar has been boiled.

MelissaH

All right...thank you ...

I will go try now and report the result..... (or may come back with more ignorant Qs!!!)