• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary classes in Kansas City

kendix

I'm a law student in Lawrence and have done a fair amount of cooking and eating but I have no plans to become a professional chef. However, I would like to take my home cooking to the next level and learn knife skills and other fundamentals from somebody who really knows what he's doing. I'd also like to do this in my spare time.

Anyone have suggestions?

Funny you should ask, kendix - my friend just told me she's taking a knife skills class in the coming weeks at the Kansas City Culinary Center. They usually have a lot of different classes that also include tastings. I've not been, but I've heard some people really enjoy the classes.

I know that the Williams Sonoma stores (Plaza and Town Center Plaza) have similar cooking/kitchen skills classes.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

I took Fundamentals I and didn't think it was that helpful. The class was too big and there wasn't enough hands-on instruction. I also wanted more of the science aspect, which was lacking.

I took Fundamentals I and didn't think it was that helpful. The class was too big and there wasn't enough hands-on instruction.  I also wanted more of the science aspect, which was lacking.

That's consistent with what I've heard. I've not attended a class there but a friend who once taught for them cautioned me that it was more "desperate housewives" entertainment than in-depth instruction. Too bad - they have a nice facility and go through the motions, it's a shame they don't use it. I guess they know who their audience is and they've not only survived but thrived, but 'tis a pity. I guess it's kinda like FTV - it could have been great but instead has "settled" for success. :hmmm:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

What about taking a couple of courses over at JCCC?

Joe's suggestion is good if you can work them into your schedule. I've never been able to do that but, if you're like most of my friends who went to KU Law, you should have plenty of free time :cool:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I've convinced myself that Ruhlman's "The Elements of Cooking" will be enough to teach me what I need to know to learn all the rest on my own. It comes out in early Novemeber, just in time for my birthday.

Oh, and you're right, moosnsqrl. I do find myself with lots of free time but it all seems to go to pursuits far less noble than more learning. ;)

Edited by kendix (log)