• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vila Nova Do Sol-Mar

jtphjl

We have early reservations for tomorrow (Sunday) evening. Has any one been? We usually go to Casa Vasca but came across a review and was intrigued. have I made a mistake?... :

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

OK - here goes....we love Casa Vasca and although we had a fine experience, it is not a replacement -

Bread (no charge and not as tasty as Casa's) arrived with water soon after being seated, along with a plate of multi black and very dark green olives (salty, oily and very wonderful)- an impressive wine list (book) was already on the table and offered a variety of affordable and worthy choices - no takers for Sangria at our table and I was on antibiotics...damn!)

Appetizers: we ordered fried calamara (tender, hot, extra crunchy) delicious!) the platter was more then enough for the 5 of us - also...an order of sausage - again, a plate of bite size thick, tangy and very good - and alot of food, but not a complaint!

The dinner : not so many options - in seafood (I head here first) one shrimp option, Casa Vasa always had the standard, anything in green sauce - not even an option here - nothing in green sauce... I ordered from the day's special and let me tell you, I dream of this dish... stuffed salmon - that's all the menu printed...what arrived was a platter, no a forest of broccoli framing 2 filet's of salmon stuffed with fresh crab (little filler) slightly spicy (I like spice but this was satisfying- more like a flirt with the tongue) a nice blend of saffrons - scattered between the broccoli were black salted olives and tossted to a corner were baby white potatos ( not even an interest when the table's platter of fried potato chips arrived - though these could have benefited from more frying for crispy-sake!)

The husband shared (and we had the left overs for 2 nights!) the paella (one offering only) the clay "pot" arrived with 2 full lobsters, and an orgy of shrimp, scallops, mussels, clams - full, a tossing of rice (the rice, a marrge of saffrom and butter was served along side, making it available to those of us who should have been eating our potatos...

Another part of this dining group ordered the Veal Chops, thick, tender, perfectly seasoned, saddled with its own offering of potatos - nice use of garlic and onions - and a good reason to order more bread for its natural brown sauce -

The Other member of this group ordered the roasted pig.....Ok, I dream about two dishes.... this was a platter of crisp coated pork, just enough fat left on to be indulgent with out guilt - tender, and VERY salty (the american in me wanted to return to Syracuse where this dish would have been served with spple sauce, homemade of course!)

We went though alot of water - alot!!!! and one bottle of wine (this was not a wine group!--how was I born into this family???)

Desserts (the review had cautioned, not the strong point) I was ready, the offerings were nothing exciting - and with lots of food left over, again, we had no takers!

The restaurant is "charming" when you enter to the left is the bar and a very informal family atmosphere, TV - lots of happy family type noise...the dining room, a little upsclae, soft lights, low music, display of wine and fruit, tables situated so you are not part of each other's conversation,. beautiful bar in the lower portion of the restaurant, clean restrooms downstairs (not wheel cheer access.) parking is a nightmare - we parked at the bank lot across the street (this was a Sunday!)

Would I go back - knowing the menu, I would, would I leave Casa Vasa , never! The service is more genuine at Casa, more on top of the diner's needs- and I missed the soup though it was available ala carte --

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Me again - forgot to mention the bill - dinner for 5, one bottle of wine $158.12 including at 20% tip!!! (not bad eh?)

- Elaine Boosler

Hey jtphjl - fellow Syracusan here (transplanted to Rutherford three years ago). I still go there twice every month from Monday - Thursday for business. Where do you get roast pork in Syracuse? have you tried it at Don Juan Cafe, the little Puerto Rican place at corner of Grand Ave and Geddes Street? They also on occasion have incredible cheese flan.

• 2 years later...

We dined at Sol Mar, the bar area of this restaurant. They have two menus and the menu at Vila Nova is more expensive. The sangria was fabulous and not watered down. If anything it had too much brandy. No appetizer. Also soup was not included in the dinner. Lowell had roast suckling pig which was very disappointing. It was served at room temperature and was very salty. It was accompanied with pickled vegetables and ho-hum French fries. We should have asked for the Spanish potatoes. I had seafood in green sauce which was actually seafood in a tomato based sauce. It was a generous portion but nothing to get excited about. We didn't have dessert.

As we were driving around the area we fell into a bakery on Oliver St near Jefferson called Pao de Milho and bought a lot of goodies which came to $4 and change. We are in the process of tasting them tonight!

We have decided that our new research should entail all the little restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark that we have never heard of. Any recommendations besides the usual tourist spots?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We dined at Sol Mar, the bar area of this restaurant. They have two menus and the menu at Vila Nova is more expensive. The sangria was fabulous and not watered down. If anything it had too much brandy. No appetizer. Also soup was not included in the dinner. Lowell had roast suckling pig which was very disappointing. It was served at room temperature and was very salty. It was accompanied with pickled vegetables and ho-hum French fries. We should have asked for the Spanish potatoes. I had seafood in green sauce which was actually seafood in a tomato based sauce. It was a generous portion but nothing to get excited about. We didn't have dessert.

As we were driving around the area we fell into a bakery on Oliver St near Jefferson called Pao de Milho and bought a lot of goodies which came to $4 and change. We are in the process of tasting them tonight!

We have decided that our new research should entail all the little restaurants in the Ironbound section of Newark that we have never heard of. Any recommendations besides the usual tourist spots?

Years ago, my family used to go to Spain on Ferry Street, when we were in the mood for Paella. Can't say how it is now.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I like Adega Grill on Ferry Street, although it's certainly not a bargain as compared to some other spots. Better for lunch in that regard. Never eaten in their bar, but I'm sure you can.

Friends have been going to Tony de Caneca and always rave, but I've never been.

72 Elm Rd

973-589-6882

Assaggini Di Roma (Italian, obviously!) is something worth experiencing, esp on a Saturday night when the singers are there! It's a hoot. Food is also good, esp their homemade sausage. They also make their own (house) wines and have a full bar.

134 Clifford Street

973-466-3344

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

As I've mentioned on other threads, I like Adega Grill on Ferry Street, although it's certainly not a bargain as compared to some other spots.  Better for lunch in that regard.  Never eaten in their bar, but I'm sure you can.

Friends have been going to Tony de Caneca and always rave, but I've never been. 

72 Elm Rd

973-589-6882

Assaggini Di Roma (Italian, obviously!) is something worth experiencing, esp on a Saturday night when the singers are there!  It's a hoot.  Food is also good, esp their homemade sausage.  They also make their own (house) wines and have a full bar. 

134 Clifford Street

973-466-3344

I can attest to everything Curlz posted. I can also say that the limited menu at Adega Grill's bar is just as good as the sit down. Sangria rocks.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species