• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good eats near Highway 101

Hello,

I am driving as support for my son during his bike ride along the Pacific Coast from Centralia to San Diego. I would be with him until Klamath, CA. Then, he is on his own as his riding buddy backed out on the last minute. I am hoping you can give us some recs on affordable, good eats in/near Centralia Wa, Cathlamet, Manzanita, Pacific City, Waldport OR, Winchester Bay, Port Orford, Brookings and Klamath, CA.

http://www.justgiving.com/enricoslasheric

Thank you very much.

Cirilo

Edited by CiriloE (log)

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

I don't know of anything in the exact towns you mention, but you can get some great hot dogs in Langlois, which is in between Bandon and Port Orford (I just posted about this in another topic, but can't figure out how to link there). The Langlois Market is a well-known local favorite for sandwiches and hot dogs. I haven't tried their sandwiches, but the hot dogs are really good, and they're served with the market's own homemade, secret-recipe mustard.

48444 Highway 101, Langlois, OR, 97450 (on the right hand side if you're heading south) (541) 348-2476

The Nehalem River Inn is very nice for dinner, in Garabaldi there's a place called Pirate's Cove that has beautiful views of the water and has some pretty good seafood, the clam chowder here is also really yummy. :)

Syrah Girl,

Sorry I missed your post. I passed that yesterday and we ended up eating in Pacific Seafood in Bay City. It was so-so but it was just about our budget so it was not too bad. I don't recommend this place.

In Astoria we ate at T Paul's Urban Cafe which turned out quite well. We shared a Roasted Garlic Quesadillas as an appetizer, my son had the Roasted Chipotle Pesto Penne Pasta and Fresh Basil Pesto Prawn for me. With a shared dessert and the bill came to $50.00 with the tip, no sales tax. :smile: There are tons of restos in Astoria and we walked the downtown district and looked for the busiest and we did well.

We plan on stopping at Lincoln City tonight and either Florence or Reedsport tomorrow depending on how well he rides. Hope I get the recs on time.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

I don't know of anything in the exact towns you mention, but you can get some great hot dogs in Langlois, which is in between Bandon and Port Orford (I just posted about this in another topic, but can't figure out how to link there). The Langlois Market is a well-known local favorite for sandwiches and hot dogs. I haven't tried their sandwiches, but the hot dogs are really good, and they're served with the market's own homemade, secret-recipe mustard.

48444 Highway 101, Langlois, OR, 97450 (on the right hand side if you're heading south) (541) 348-2476

Caitlin,

Thank you. It did not disappoint. I could have eaten a lot more but ...

Cirilo

Popular Science, 1891