• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans restaurants in Destin

TAPrice

So first Commander's Palace says they're opening a new branch in Destin. The TP reported on this last month.

Today, I get a PR release that a new branch of Camellia Grill will open in the same Harbor Walk complex:

The new Camellia Grill will be in Harbor Walk located at 10 Harbor Boulevard. Although the locations will have differences such as palm trees instead of oak trees and boat traffic instead of streetcar traffic, the menu and characteristics that make this a destination restaurant will remain intact. The menu will be complete with chocolate freezes, pecan pie, chili omlettes and Mardi Gras sandwiches. The interior will be a copy of the existing diner with the same pink paint, green stools, white linen napkins and flat top gills.  The major difference will be the increase in counter stools from 29 to approximately 50 because of the larger facility. Camellia Grill’s greasy-spoon fare will bring a unique dinning experience to the harbor area.

“I am excited to be able to get this project underway,” says Hicham Khodr, owner of Camellia Grill. “Because Camellia Grill is as loved by tourists as much as local New Orleanians, I hope that this new location is as embraced as the original.”

So what's the angle here? You think they're building these restaurants for vacationing New Orleanians who can't go a weekend without a familiar meal? Or is this for tourists who don't want to come to New Orleans?

Or is it just a convenient place to open a new business?

There was much talk of New Orleans becoming a Disneyland version of itself after the storm. Who knew that the Disney version would actually be built in Destin? :raz:

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

Soooo many people from New Orleans have beach houses in Destin. I remember waiting on all of the Brennans at one time or another when I worked at Kitchenique when it was at Shoreline Village Mall. A guess would be sort of a combination of both your premises. Plus, do you realize how many ex-pat Louisianans live over on the beach? Plus, all those tourists from Atlanta, Birmingham and Cleveland can dine at places they have heard of without going over to the city.

As to the Disney in Destin. It was considered. At one time in the late 80s the Disney jet was spotted on a regular basis at the Destin Airport. Rumor was the Peter Bos was trying to unload Sandestin on them.

I love Destin, it is so close to home and I love the city. Now I am homesick for the rest of the day.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Yeah, probably many reasons for this. If only I'd been trained as a journalist, I'd know that two makes a trend. Alas, I wasn't, so I'll remain skeptical that there is a greater meaning behind this move towards Destin.

My guess is that Commander's will do a better job capturing the original that Camellia. On the other hand, I'm about 100 times more likely to eat at Camellia Grill in Destin. When I'm at the beach, I don't go for fancy foods.

Remember when Destin used to barely developed? Ah, those were the days. I still like the place and will be happy to get my chocolate freeze there next summer.

My grandfather grew up with Capt'n Nick Maltezos who owned the Florida Girl party fishing boat. We would go play on the point in the late 50s when there was nothing there. There was still nothing there in the late 60's when we would skip school and head to Panama City Beach for the day. If we went to Navarre or Ft Walton we ran the risk of getting caught by the truant officers.

I did live there in the late 80s and early 90s when it exploded with growth. This was pre 4 lane between Destin and Sandestin when it took an hour to drive the 10 miles between the two. Now, with 4 to 6 lanes, it takes over 2 hours to drive between the two on a holiday weekend. PLus, Destin and south Walton County is THE Upscale resort area on the entire upper Gulf Coast. Do you realize how much money there is in Destin and South Walton? It has changed sooo much in the 10 years since I moved away. And the local population has improved to the point that the locals who eat out will support such restaurants.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I honestly didn't know that there were so many wealthy people living there. Guess I don't get beyond the beach much.

Perhaps this is just like New Orleans institutions expanding to Baton Rouge. They're going where the money is.

I honestly didn't know that there were so many wealthy people living there. Guess I don't get beyond the beach much.

Perhaps this is just like New Orleans institutions expanding to Baton Rouge. They're going where the money is.

Well, don't forget, in this particular case, "us" and "them" are kind of the same thing. Tons of well to do Louisianians have places over there and I would imagine that part of the appeal to the restaurants is to know that they are going to have somewhat of a built-in clientele. Hell, even the Broken Egg, a breakfast place on the Northshore, did it. I guess all of them are banking on people eating what they already know.

Besides our food is better than theirs and we like to take it with us so it's natural that our places follow us around.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I think the principal reason is that there is such a significant connection between New Orleans and Destin, as other folks have mentioned. I think another reason is, as Mayhaw Man said, the particular institutions setting up in Destin have names that are recognizable beyond the borders of our fair parish. More true of Commander's of course, but then I think the new owners of the Camelia Grill are doing their best to brand it as rapidly as possible.

Whether that bodes well or not, I dunno, but I have my doubts.

I think the principal reason is that there is such a significant connection between New Orleans and Destin, as other folks have mentioned.  I think another reason is, as Mayhaw Man said, the particular institutions setting up in Destin have names that are recognizable beyond the borders of our fair parish.  More true of Commander's of course, but then I think the new owners of the Camelia Grill are doing their best to brand it as rapidly as possible. 

Whether that bodes well or not, I dunno, but I have my doubts.

I've been told that the original owner of the Grill, the Schwartz's, wanted to "franchise" Camellia Grill long ago, but couldn't get it together. They purportedly hand-picked Mr. Khodr for the precise reason that they knew he could make it happen and fast.

Destin is interesting and on my most recent visit (late July/early August), I got a kick out of going to another global institution, Trader Vic's.

I've been told that the original owner of the Grill, the Schwartz's, wanted to "franchise" Camellia Grill long ago, but couldn't get it together.  They purportedly hand-picked Mr. Khodr for the precise reason that they knew he could make it happen and fast.

Does that mean that the Schwartz family still has some financial interest in the Camellia Grill?

I've been told that the original owner of the Grill, the Schwartz's, wanted to "franchise" Camellia Grill long ago, but couldn't get it together.  They purportedly hand-picked Mr. Khodr for the precise reason that they knew he could make it happen and fast.

Does that mean that the Schwartz family still has some financial interest in the Camellia Grill?

That question crossed my mind too, but for some reason I didn't ask. I'll see if I can find out.

I can't imagine the Camellia Grill doing well in Destin. I would think a huge number of the diners in Destin are tourists from inland towns. They're going to want seafood, not the kind of stuff they can get at just about any restaurant back at home. I can see the Camellia Grill being a big hit with tourists from New Orleans, but I don't know why anyone from non-seafood towns like Atlanta, Birmingham, Montgomery, etc. would go all the way to Destin to eat at a place that specializes in hamburgers and (subpar) omelettes.

I can't imagine the Camellia Grill doing well in Destin.  I would think a huge number of the diners in Destin are tourists from inland towns.  They're going to want seafood, not the kind of stuff they can get at just about any restaurant back at home.  I can see the Camellia Grill being a big hit with tourists from New Orleans, but I don't know why anyone from non-seafood towns like Atlanta, Birmingham, Montgomery, etc. would go all the way to Destin to eat at a place that specializes in hamburgers and (subpar) omelettes.

Because a LOT of those folks from Atlanta, B'ham, Montgomery, etc know of and have eaten at the original Camellia Grill. Since the demise of most of the old line Destin breakfast places, they will be lining up. Even in the winter when you have to hide the sweet and low packets from the snowbirds. And there is nothing wrong with a decent burger. Yes, people eat a lot of seafood there but they eat a lot of other things. I used to live there and there are times, you just want a burger.