• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single deck commercial steam injection oven?

maui420

hi, just wondering if it would be possible to purchase a single deck steam injection commecial oven in a garage? if so, anyone know the brand to purchase similiar to what panera bread bakeries have, or the bagel shops use? i checked blodgett, bakers pride, and dhaval? but i cant seem to find the one. can anyone recommend?

thanks.

• 1 year later...

You say you're looking for a small, commercial 120v steam injection oven, but most commercial ovens are 240 volts. Or, if they're small, they're 120 volts with no option for steam.

You don't want to hack your current oven, so that rules out adding plumbing. A new household, built-in steam injection oven will not be 120V either, so unless there's something new out there on the horizon, I'm afraid it just doesn't exist.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Actually, most household stoves/ranges are 220 volt, clothes dryers are too.

Check out Bakbar, I know they have 1/2 pan sizes (18" x12"). This is a Moffat company and the ovens are made in N. Zealand, I believe. Fairly reputable and durable.

The "steam injection" however is a misnomer. Most commercial convection ovens don't have "steam injection" with the exception of the Rational type ovens-- but these are obscenely expensive. (and very, very good)

What most commercial convection ovens (ie Baker's pride, Blodgett) have is a solenoid that squirts water at the the squirrel cage fan of the convection oven. The misted water is converted to steam as it hits the oven walls and floor. To convert water to steam however, you need energy, it it takes the heat from the oven. In other words after a good 30 second squirt, the oven will cool down considerably.

Hope this helps

hi all,

after doing some small research, it may seem like the forno bravo primavera may be a good choice. id like to get a small doyon hearth oven but i wont be able to power it up at my home address for it requires some extra electrical kick.

as far as baking cookies and cakes, do they benefit from a steam environment?

hi,

can someone recommend me a small steal injection oven for bread baking? i would like to turn out the best breads without having to build a brick oven and hacking my home oven.

thanks all

Not the same as direct steam injection into an oven- but a similar low cost concept is the Steam Maker Bread Baker. It was reviewed on The Fresh Loaf.

hi,

can someone recommend me a small steal injection oven for bread baking? i would like to turn out the best breads without having to build a brick oven and hacking my home oven.

thanks all

Not the same as direct steam injection into an oven- but a similar low cost concept is the Steam Maker Bread Baker. It was reviewed on The Fresh Loaf.

And for alot less, you can buy the Steamfast generator alone, a separate baking stone, and a lid. Drill a hole in the lid and there's your bread baker.

Ilene