• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deciding where to live in Paris

Druckenbrodt

Druckenbrodt,

Clearly there are an embarassing number of great markets in Paris. I think that choosing a neighborhood that pleases you and has excellent access to transport should be first priorities. I spent last year, as some other responders, going from market to market. There are a great number of markets, most of which have already been covered, that are clearly fine for the on the go, gotta have salad greens kind of shopping, and there are lots, like President Wilson, which take your breath away(and which is surprisingly inexpensive if you're shopping intelligently). I second the recommendation that you find a copy of 'Paris in a Basket' or 'Paris dans un panier' which was an excellent resource for me, in particular the indexes that list markets by arrondissement, by the days they take place, and by a rating from one to five stars. Cheers.

I second the recommendation that you find a copy of 'Paris in a Basket' or 'Paris dans un panier' which was an excellent resource for me, in particular the indexes that list markets by arrondissement, by the days they take place, and by a rating from one to five stars. 

Another book discussed/reviewed by Colette Monsat in yesterday's Figaroscope was "Les Plus Beaux Marches de Paris" by Benedicte Bonnet, Editions de l'If 18.50 E. It covers 78 markets of which 13 are covered, 17 specialized, 3 bio.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris