• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Mason's Tailor has Arrived

vivin

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone has any idea what Sam is up to this days?

I read he is doing a demo at star chefs with Stupak and Iuzzini. However I have no idea what his status is as far as Tailor goes, or if they are ever going to re-open the dining room? I'd love to go try any new desserts but it seems like Tailor is at a stand still.

I was just in Hong Kong, where I heard from a few chefs that he visits there quite frequently. Consulting gig, I assume. But I have no clue as to what he's up to in New York.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Hopefully working on that book he hinted at a year and a half or so ago... but I'm not betting on it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

This is probably old news, but his online show, Dinner With the Band, got picked up by the Independent Film Channel and begins in November. I'm looking forward to the Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings episode.

BROG, a beer blog

Anyone have any insight as to Tailor's current status? They were supposedly closed for July and August for a "revamp". Sadly, I assume this has more to do with revamping finances than decor. The message on their phone line states that they were only closing the dining room, and that only for those two months. But I'm not sure if they're open at all these days or whether they still plan on opening the dining room. Any info is greatly appreciated.

are they answering the phones?

Their phones are still answered with the same recording they've had on for months, that states they'll be closed July and August, but that the bar will be open. Haven't gone by in person, but there's been no change to their phone situation and I haven't had a live person pick up.

I stopped by Tailor after work to see what's up. The status quo prevails: the dining room is closed, the bar is open. Although Eben Freeman is gone, they are still serving his cocktails. The barista told me that there is a new mixologist who will be introducing new drinks, though they will still continue to serve many of Freeman's classics—as well they should. She said that they are still reasonably busy on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings.

She also sounded confident that Mason will indeed be returning to Tailor and re-opening the dining room later this fall, after he finishes the TV show he had been working on.

The upstairs is eerily quiet. There is nobody upstairs, and when you open the door it feels like you're walking into someone's house with nobody home. There's a small sign, which you could easily miss, advising that the bar downstairs is open. Which it is, from 5:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. (later on weekends).

I stopped by Tailor after work to see what's up. The status quo prevails: the dining room is closed, the bar is open. Although Eben Freeman is gone, they are still serving his cocktails. The barista told me that there is a new mixologist who will be introducing new drinks, though they will still continue to serve many of Freeman's classics—as well they should. She said that they are still reasonably busy on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings.

She also sounded confident that Mason will indeed be returning to Tailor and re-opening the dining room later this fall, after he finishes the TV show he had been working on.

The upstairs is eerily quiet. There is nobody upstairs, and when you open the door it feels like you're walking into someone's house with nobody home. There's a small sign, which you could easily miss, advising that the bar downstairs is open. Which it is, from 5:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. (later on weekends).

Interesting. Do you know if it is still the case that they're serving food at the bar?

• 2 weeks later...

There is no food of any kind being served at the bar. I was there a couple of times in the last two weeks for drinks, and the kitchen is completely closed. In fact, the entire upstairs is sort of blocked off and you walk directly downstairs. Seems the bartenders have been told to just say that they will reopen the restaurant once Sam is done with his show, but I'm not sure how relevant that info is. I hope it's true. As far as the cocktail menu goes, they have been serving a variety of things from Eben's old cocktail menus, and there do seem to be some minor changes from week to week, though it's not clear if any of the added drinks were created by others, or if they're just rotating the old recipes in and out. Nonetheless, I had a few very nice drinks there last week.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to take this chance to thank everyone for their support and kind words, but it's no surprise for me to say that I (sam mason) am no longer a part of Tailor restaurant. I left about 3 months ago, and tried to let them get a game plan together before I announced my departure. I really loved my restaurant and pour my everything into it, but sadly it was not meant to be. It was great to have a venue to show how I was trying to bridge the gap of sweet and savory dishes, and I think with the help of a great staff we succeeded. I am currently working hard on my T.V. series , and by no means plan on it being my only creative outlet. I do plan to start a new venture soon. I hope to see you under another topic then as well.

Thankfully,

sam mason

sam mason

Question...

Why isn't any media covering this?

Like Eater/Grub Street/NYTimes food blog?

No mention on Tailors Facebook page/ website/any of their blogs.

As to the above, a legal issue?

Please, no snark from the haters

Thanks....

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

I am extremely sorry to hear about this, chef. I live in Tribeca and Tailor was one of my favorites. My frequency of visits was kept down only by the fact that everytime I went, I would end up consuming vast quantities of sweets (I ate four desserts on a single visit once). I loved the concept. best to you.

Question...

Why isn't any media covering this?

Like Eater/Grub Street/NYTimes food blog?

No mention on Tailors Facebook page/ website/any of their blogs.

As to the above, a legal issue?

The only actual announcement is Sam Mason's post above, which has not been noticed more broady. I suspect that the owners still do not know what they will do with the space, so from their point of view there is nothing to announce. It is well known that Tailor is in bankruptcy, so yes, there could very well be legal issues.

Sorry things didn't work out Chef. On the bright side (for me anyway), maybe you'll find time now to think about that book you hinted at a while back. I'm still keeping a space open on my shelf (the working shelf with the books I actually use) for it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.