• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sam Mason's Tailor has Arrived

vivin

a quick google search turns up that scrumpy is a form of cider

Thank you!

According to this site scrumpy is:

The term "scrumpy" can be used in more than one sense and mean different things to different people, but just to be clear - throughout the Scrumpy User Guide we use the word in its highest possible sense to mean real cider; by which we mean cider [or hard cider in the US] made more or less entirely from apples using traditional methods. It is also called scrumpy cider, and sometimes farmhouse cider (even though some of the larger scrumpy makers have moved onto proper industrial locations, the techniques remain the same as the traditional farmhouse cider-makes of old.

This basically means that the juice is extracted from the apples (preferably proper cider apples; although good cider can be made using other types of apple) and then fermented naturally, usually without anything else much being added. The scrumpy is then left to mature and after a while will be ready for the user. That's the basic process, anyway... simple, eh? At least, in theory...

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the great photos docsconz.  I will definitely go try it out myself next week.  Would you say the experience is quite similar to WD50??

Whether it is because Wylie has had a strong influence on Sam or because Sam left his mark on WD-50, it is clear that they are cut from the same cloth. Nevertheless, Tailor is not a clone of WD-50. Both restaurants have their own identities. The dishes speak for themselves. One similarity is that the atmosphere is equally informal and congenial. WD-50 is stronger in wine, while Tailor is more known for its cocktail program.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

some new dishes at Tailor.....and they really need to update the menus on the website.

the chorizo-cured kampachi just doesn't work. the kampachi wasn't cut properly and the chorizo-curing was not in evidence. (chorizo and fish is certainly an old combination...and Ripert has been doing a "chorizo essence" (basically pressed chorizo oil) and fish pairing for years...but you couldn't taste any effect here).

however, the latest version of the octopus dish is absolutely fantastic! perfectly cooked...the coffee ground accompaniment was a sterling and tasty foil for the tentacles. highly recommend this dish.

foie and peanut butter for dessert.

some new dishes at Tailor.....and they really need to update the menus on the website.

the chorizo-cured kampachi just doesn't work.  the kampachi wasn't cut properly and the chorizo-curing was not in evidence.  (chorizo and fish is certainly an old combination...and Ripert has been doing a "chorizo essence" (basically pressed chorizo oil) and fish pairing for years...but you couldn't taste any effect here).

however, the latest version of the octopus dish is absolutely fantastic!  perfectly cooked...the coffee ground accompaniment was a sterling and tasty foil for the tentacles.  highly recommend this dish.

... and chorizo isn't a flavor that usually needs coaxing to come out of its smoky shell. That's too bad. How as the kampachi cut and cooked (if cooked at all)?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

the chorizo-cured kampachi just doesn't work.  the kampachi wasn't cut properly and the chorizo-curing was not in evidence.  (chorizo and fish is certainly an old combination...and Ripert has been doing a "chorizo essence" (basically pressed chorizo oil) and fish pairing for years...but you couldn't taste any effect here).

however, the latest version of the octopus dish is absolutely fantastic!  perfectly cooked...the coffee ground accompaniment was a sterling and tasty foil for the tentacles.  highly recommend this dish.

... and chorizo isn't a flavor that usually needs coaxing to come out of its smoky shell. That's too bad. How as the kampachi cut and cooked (if cooked at all)?

it doesn't show any sign of cooking....and the cut left some chewy pieces.

it doesn't show any sign of cooking....and the cut left some chewy pieces.

My snapper was also very chewy - almost gristly - in the mouth. While it appeared, in some parts, to be cut across the grain, there were other parts that seemed to be cut semi-against and semi-with the grain. Oh well, the man's not a sushi chef.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...

new item on the cocktail menu: a series of three "solids"....

cuba libre as a gelatin square. good.

a ramos fizz marshmallow. good.

a sort of white russian and crunch thing which didn't quite work.

also, I think the lovage aquavit is my favorite infusion.

Had a quick pre-dinner at Tailor before real dinner at Fiamma, just up the street. Didn't see the solids on the cocktail menu, but we were in a major rush, so I could've missed it.

Over the course of about 30 minutes we got to try a cocktail and a few plates. Got there shortly after 7 so the place was predictably pretty empty. Only two other tables occupied. As we left at about 7:45 the dining room was starting to fill (I saw that Japanese woman who judges Iron Chef America again, weird).

First, the kind of annoying. We ordered two cocktails, a Crumble and a Mi Amor (I believe); the waiter even confirmed this after taking our order. We were brought two Crumbles, however, and because we were in a rush and they were accommodating us on our short time frame we didn't send it back. The Crumble is a great drink (though not as unctuous this time around, which could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask), but I wish I would've gotten to try the other. Oh well. My other minor quibble is that many of the favorite dishes--the belly-miso, the passion fruit-char--are now as large plates. I'm not sure if they would've made the dishes in small plate form if I had asked but, in these circumstances, a small plate portion would've sufficed.

Anyway, we quickly worked our way through the new sweetbread dish with Allagash beer foam and salsify, the passion fruit char with lime spaetzle and coconut (now in $25 large plate form), and the rum banana with mustard ice cream. All three dishes were great. I forgot how fundamentally tasty the char and banana were and the sweetbread dish was no exception. The char is now better savored thanks its larger size but one has to like the texture of sous vide fish. If so, this is a home run. Loved the sweet and acid; very JG-esque but with a more daring bent. The mustard ice cream is totally delicious, we all loved it.

Dining with my mother and sister we were perhaps somewhat out of place but the staff was gracious in getting us in and out the door.

• 1 month later...

Images of new dishes at Tailor:

gallery_57745_5679_313533.jpg

Green apple and bonito sorbet

gallery_57745_5679_447225.jpg

Passion fruit and caviar

gallery_57745_5679_60135.jpg

Chorizo cured kampachi with sweet potato puree, chorizo powder, potato granola

gallery_57745_5679_2504.jpg

Nantucket scallops, papaya and spice bread

gallery_57745_5679_476825.jpg

Foie Gras and peanut butter, pear, chocolate caramel

gallery_57745_5679_194207.jpg

Coriander fried sweetbreads, citrus puree, lime salt, salsify and white beer foam

gallery_57745_5679_287048.jpg

Monkfish, barley rissotto, fennel, fried herbs, lemon-menthol foam

gallery_57745_5679_395714.jpg

Lamb with chestnut puree, curry chestnut, pickled sea beans and clams

gallery_57745_5679_57322.jpg

Mango ravioli, coconut cream, cilantro meringue, black rice ice cream

gallery_57745_5679_125634.jpg

Rum braised banana, mustard ice cream, brown butter cake

gallery_57745_5679_178363.jpg

Beet parfait, chocolate cream, beet paper

gallery_57745_5679_329272.jpg

Amaro gummi bears

How was the mustard ice cream? Sounds intriguing.

At the age of six I wanted to be a cook. At seven I wanted to be Napoleon. And my ambition has been growing steadily ever since. ‐ Salvador Dali

• 4 weeks later...

There has been an extensive menu change at Tailor in both the food and bar menus this week.

In terms of food, from the previous menu, they have kept the Foie Gras-Peanut Butter Terrine and the Sweetbreads from the starters, and the Pork Belly, Duck and Short Ribs from the mains. Desserts they kept most of their previous lineup except a couple of them.

So for new dishes they have:

First:

1) Raw fluke with pine nut, pineapple, and a pine needle ponzu sauce.

2) Mackerel escabeche with litchi tapenade, infused daikon, and verjus foam

3) Sepia a la plancha, with marjoram emultion, pomelo, coffee soil

Second:

1) Wild Stripped Bass, preserved plum puree, mustard gnocchi, mustard greens

2) Hake, chickpea tart, toasted Pita, mint yogurt

Third:

1) Red Bell Pepper cake, cornbread ice cream, corn soil, peas

2) Walnut cake, ginger caramel, lime puree, coconut-cream cheese sorbet inside carrot foam

As for the bar there are some staple cocktails from the previous menu still there but they have added about 6 new cocktails. The ones I can recall now are a beet sangria and the mushroom margarita.

I was in last night. the red bell pepper cake with the cornbread ice cream and peas was terrific...especially the peas and the ice cream.

the "mushroom margarita" utilizes the huitlacoche mezcal. there's a nice new rye gateway drink -- using a hibiscus syrup.

i'm in the area of tailor's early tomorrow evening, and am thinking of stopping in for a cocktail or their solid cocktails. i'd be there @5 or so.

my questions:

do they serve their bar food @5 (specifically, the pork belly)

are any of their other bar foods in the same stratosphere as the pork belly?

i've been before and loved the food, just curious about the bar options.

thanks...

i'm in the area of tailor's early tomorrow evening, and am thinking of stopping in for a cocktail or their solid cocktails.  i'd be there @5 or so.

my questions:

do they serve their bar food @5 (specifically, the pork belly)

are any of their other bar foods in the same stratosphere as the pork belly?

i've been before and loved the food, just curious about the bar options.

thanks...

I find it highly unlikely that they're open that early.

The website says the bar opens at 5.

Whether anyone is actually there to open it then is anybody's guess.

The website also says that the dining room doesn't open till 6. So it's unclear whether bar snacks are available at 5 or not -- even if the bar opens on time.

though it's interesting to see how widely restaurants vary in their standard dining hours (in terms of when they're busy).

I've read a couple reviews of Dell'Anima where they mentioned how easy it was to get seats at the kitchen counter and I was wondering what they were talking about (it's always packed)...and then I realized that I've never been there before 9 or 10 (Dell'Anima is pretty much full until 1 or so every night)...and it could easily be a ghost town at 7 or 8. while other places are full at 7 and empty by 9. Tailor is definitely in the late dining (and drinking) camp.