• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Restaurants Recommendations

alanbalchin

Colborne Lane is ‘molecular gastronomy light’. A few touches, but certainly not the focus. Probably worth a visit (the upheaval I mentioned above apparently has the business partner leaving, but the chef continues as current owner).

Within walking distance from your hotel, most of the places have been mentioned. You’re close to the sporting arenas so multiple bars/roadhouse style food. One possible other choice is Romagna Mia – a competent, fairly casual Italian place with an excellent selection of Emilia/Romagna wines at fair prices.

If you take the subway to Summerhill, a little further down the hill (just north of the Rosedale subway stop) is a ‘gastropub’ the Rebel House (no reservations). People rave about their food, which has a Canadian slant (game sausages etc) although I find it competent, rather than exceptional. Great draft selection as well. Incidentally there is an underground connection to the Union subway stop from the Royal York.

And assuming you are taking the subway, then another alternative is Kaiseki Sakura – a Japanese (NOT sushi) restaurant that’s a 5 minute walk from the Wellesley Subway stop (turn left as you exit the subway towards Church St) – it’s on Church just north of Wellesley. The beef tongue is astounding (rave reviews from people who would have sworn they’d never touch this item!).

And I’ll add another plug for Globe – which I revisited since my previous post (actually that prompted me to revisit). You have to change at Bloor/Yonge subway stop and go east to Broadview. Their special was a ‘filet de cheval’ – the tenderest horse I’ve ever had. Dinner for two, with a bottle of wine was under $200 before tip and the entire experience was exemplary. Their wine markups hover around 100-125% - one of the lowest in the city.

Colborne Lane is ‘molecular gastronomy light’. A few touches, but certainly not the focus. Probably worth a visit (the upheaval I mentioned above apparently has the business partner leaving, but the chef continues as current owner).

I had to occasion to dine at a London restaurant where Claudio was manning the stoves. The name escapes me but the cuisine was definitely Asian-fusion. It sounds like his cooking style has really changed. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to try his food when he was cooking at the upscale restaurant on Bloor St.

115660532_9ca036356e_d.jpg

^^ Does anyone know where in T.O. you can get a beautiful thing like this??

Closest was Canoe who did a starter plate of all their seafood starters. We shared between 4 and they brought it out on a 2 level platter.

Good and interesting but not that fantastic amount of food in your picture. My personal favorite was the soused scallops with popcorn. Most inventive dish and the butter popcorn worked really well with the citrus / scallop combo.

115660532_9ca036356e_d.jpg

^^ Does anyone know where in T.O. you can get a beautiful thing like this??

Closest was Canoe who did a starter plate of all their seafood starters. We shared between 4 and they brought it out on a 2 level platter.

Good and interesting but not that fantastic amount of food in your picture. My personal favorite was the soused scallops with popcorn. Most inventive dish and the butter popcorn worked really well with the citrus / scallop combo.

Thanks for the rec. It's been some time since my last visit to Canoe, so I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks all for the help, that's wonderful.

I'm also a wine collector and scotch drinker, ...

Vaughan

Happened to notice that the Summerhill tasting 'tower' curently features sips of over 15 different scotch single malts (at cost - I think 3/4 oz servings) - not that I'm suggesting you try them all!

But a chance to try some that might be new to you.