• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Restaurants Recommendations

alanbalchin

OK - now I'm going to show my age. George's is where the original Monte Carlo's restaurant used to be. I am embarassed to say how many of those pizzas I consumed in my youth. The last couple of times I ordered from there I was disappointed though. VERY oily and the crust seemed more pastry flakyish than doughy.

I'm thinking of Boujadi for this weekend.

What do you think of Kengsington Kitchen?

OK - now I'm going to show my age.  George's is where the original Monte Carlo's restaurant used to be.  I am embarassed to say how many of those pizzas I consumed in my youth.  The last couple of times I ordered from there I was disappointed though.  VERY oily and the crust seemed more pastry flakyish than doughy.

I'm thinking of Boujadi for this weekend.

What do you think of Kengsington Kitchen?

I mostly get the Ramen at Konichiwa, I think it was called the Tampopo after the movie.

Let me know what you think of Boujadi, not super cheap, but good food and great to share.

Mark

• 5 months later...

Im in Toronto for a week, I have my fine dining picked out, what im looking for is

the to die for places the locals eat everyday. Dim sum, or pizza, great little whole

in the wall places or local specialties not to be found any were else, worlds best deer jerky, or moose.

Im in Toronto for a week, I have my fine dining picked out, what im looking for is

the to die for places the locals eat everyday.  Dim sum, or pizza, great little whole

in the wall places or local specialties not to be found any were else,  worlds best deer jerky, or moose.

There are many many threads that have discussed this. I suggest you look around and you shall find what you seek.

Edited by mkjr (log)

officially left egullet....

Just had lunch at Thuet's and it was superb - but STEEP. $60 for one after tax and tip - but no booze. The kobe bavette was excellent and the shallot sauce must be one of the richest demi glace's ever. The portions were pretty huge and I should have done what the table beside me did - order two starters (still pretty pricey - soup of the day was $16 for carrot and chestnut puree).

What about Czehoski? It opened to such a buzz and the room and menu looks interesting - but I there is very little discussion about it. I've got Susur lined for Thursday and may give Lee a check just to compare and contrast.

I am posting here as I don't want to hijack the 'Splurge' thread.

the to die for places the locals eat everyday.  Dim sum, or pizza, great little whole

in the wall places or local specialties not to be found any were else,  worlds best deer jerky, or moose.

Papa Ceo's is a casual pizza joint with a huge selection of gourmet pizza and toppings to choose from . . . 654 Spadina Av - (416) 961-2222

It has been a few years but its always been a fave for me (I'm T.O. born and raised now out east)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

....I've got Susur lined for Thursday and may give Lee a check just to compare and contrast.....]

Based on Amy Pataki's review a few weeks back I suggest that you do not do so to compare. You can search the torontostar.com site and fine her comments.

I've got Susur lined for Thursday and may give Lee a check just to compare and contrast.

IMO there's nothing about the 2 to compare; they're totally different. It's not terrible or anything, but I wouldn't put Lee on the list given the amount of time you're here.

Endy', mkjr - thanks for the heads up.  Can't find Amy Pataki's review online (torstar website only holds articles for 2 weeks) - but it would seem like one night at Susur should be sufficient.

I have sent you a PM to the link of the review of both from early April.

I am thinking of trying Lai Wah Heen for dim sum lunch.  I have generally heard good things - and this is the closest place for me in Downtown.

yum, but don't expect anything traditional...and be prepared to shell out.

Dim Sum at Lai Wah Heen was excellent - at $35 for one not too crazy pricey. The gods were in the details - tremendous jasmine tea (softly floral and subtle), the best XO sauce ever (large hand cut pieces of dried seafood), and smooth as silk service.

Har Gow filling was good, but the skin was a little thick, lobster cheung fun was chock full of fresh scallops and pieces of lobster (but it felt like there was lot of MSG in the seafood paste), and the pastries filled with pork and shrimp were very fresh and crisp. The suprising standout was the tapioca pudding with strawberry compote - lush and light at the same time.

I could smell alot of truffle oil coming from the table beside me - and I was intrigued by how such a strong flavor would work in delicate Cantonese food. Alas- I was on my own and getting a giant bowl of lobster/truffle/ noodles was going to be wasteful (I did not finish my lunch as it was).

Definitely worth a visit.

• 1 month later...