• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Restaurants Recommendations

alanbalchin

Bier market and smokeless joes sound great .I think I'll hit those first.

Oh-oh. Isn't that 'Shoeless Joe's'?

It is indeed Smokeless, not Shoeless. If I recall correctly, it was named Smokeless because it was a smoke-free space in the days of smoky bars. You'll find it on the east side of John Street, between Richmond and Adelaide. Lots of beers by the bottle. Not much in the way of food, as they don't have a real kitchen - you can get things like sandwiches and bruschetta (none of it very good). Nothing deep-fried.

I'm a Beer Bistro regular, because I work across the street. Huge selection on tap. Awesome frites.

How about the Rebel House? You could call it a neighbourhood gastropub. Ontario microbrews, Canadian ingredients on the menu (bison, salmon, mussels, maple syrup).

Not a fan of the Esplanade Bier Markt. Although the beer selection is competent, their food is bland, and the atmosphere feels somehow "contrived-upscale" and impersonal. Not surprising, as the place is owned by Prime Restaurants, the folks who brought you East Side Mario's and Casey's.

Edited by cherrypi (log)

Honestly, the food at Beer Bistro is much better than at the other places, and it's owned by Stephen Beaumont, who is probably Canada's preeminent expert on beer.

But hey, do what you want, just don't say I didn't warn ya.

Where are bier bistro and rebel house located?

Edited by Greg Ling (log)

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

Honestly, the food at Beer Bistro is much better than at the other places, and it's owned by Stephen Beaumont, who is probably Canada's preeminent expert on beer.

But hey, do what you want, just don't say I didn't warn ya.

Where are bier bistro and rebel house located?

Rebel House is at 1068 Yonge Street, just north of the Rosedale subway stop (Yonge line). Some menu info here: Rebel House mini-review in Toronto Life

Beer Bistro is at 18 King Street East, right at the King subway stop (Yonge line).

Edited by cherrypi (log)

I also suggest the Beer Bistro. Anytime I am in Toronto it is a stop I find the time to make!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

The food so far has been really good ,Bier market lolita's lust and splendido really stick out,and you cant get bad dim sum in this town.I forgot my camera so did not get any pictures .I'm stuck in niagra falls now,Is there anything besise chains? And thanks to everyone for the recs!

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

get the heck out of the tourist zone and make the drive into Niagara-on-the-Lake. I don't know if winery tours are available around this time of year but many of the restaurants attached to the wineries are reputedly quite good. Sorry as I don't speak from any personal experience but I have heard good things about On The Twenty and the restaurant attached to the Peller Estates Winery.

try these threads too...

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77220

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75524

good luck...

Edited by Endy' (log)

caveat: i know almost nothing about the current dining scene in Toronto, BUT i have been going through Susur Lee's *gorgeous* biography/cookbook for the last month or so now, and consequently would suggest that you try Susur...

edit to add link... click here for tasting menus...

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I may be out of the loop but we enjoyed Scaramouche the few times we've been lucky enough to go...

Chantal

www.kawarthacuisine.ca

"Where there are vines, there is civilization"

from Mondovino

I have been to Splendido and Perigee (in the same weekend). My wife and I were sorry we didn't spend both nights we had in Toronto at Perigee. We have since eaten at Tru (Chicago), Le Atelier De Joel Robuchon (Las Vegas) and "Alex" Restaurant (also in Las Vegas), and we both agree that the best meal that we had all last year was at Perigee. By a long, long shot. Get the wine parings. We will be back in the Spring, if we can wait that long.

Splendido is great, but for a visitor with only one night, I would have to say Perigee wins the vote.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Perigee! - past reviews can be found in the Toronto thread

Maybe it was an off night at Tru but the meals i had at the two (Perigee, tru) werent even in the same league.

oops I quoted the wrong person.

Edited by Jeebus (log)

www.azurerestaurant.ca

I think that your choice depends on your dining history, and what you are looking for. I would say that Susur (or possibly Perigee - but I haven't been, this is just based on reviews) has the most exciting and outstanding food in Toronto. However, my favourite restaurant in the city is Splendido. The food there is great, and you will have a wonderful evening. Scaramouche is a solid restaurant, but conservative, which may of course be what you are looking for.

In short, if you were in town with a foodie buddy or by yourself, I would say Susur or Perigee. If you are here with anyone else and would like to enjoy their company as well as the food, I would say Splendido. (There's a backhanded dig at foodies there, I think. Unintended.)

Simon