• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Natalie's--Camden Maine

arriba!

We dined at Natalie's in Camden Harbour Inn in Camden Maine last week and loved it!! This is NOT the same as Natalie's at the Mill although it started out as that. Natalie's moved to Camden Harbour Inn to partner with the new owners but left, taking her chef. The new chef is fabulous and does amazing things with local produce, seafood and meat. A chef's tasting menu is offered but not required for all at the table which I think is VERY smart! Our server just let us know that dishes would be coming out at different times which was great as we shared everything and enjoyed the many taste thrills The menu is not overly long but offers one each-- fish, poultry, beef, lamb, lobster and I think a vegetarian dish and several hot and cold appetizers. Service was polished but not stiff, friendly but not intrusively overly familiar and knowlegeable about the wine list(nice choices by the glass)and menu.

We loved the refurbishment of the inn and would like to have stayed there--great location overlooking the harbour and Mt. Battie and off the hwy. which is a bonus!!

What a very special evening there and we are looking forward to next year!!

Yes, I was going to add more later, just ran our of time!

The chef's menu mirrors the a la carte menu but not strictly according to staff. Chef's menu that night started with watermelon carpaccio with feta, pistachio oil and essence of fig. Following that--summer onion tart with roasted grapes, watercress, walnuts and sweetbreads. Next was what they call lamb "cooked on a nail" with roasted cauliflower and a mixture of tomatoes with cucumbers and mint. Dessert was a ganache brownie with a homemade marshmallow.

My husband ordered foie gras with potato dumplings and beets and halibut with tiny green beans with potatoes and fennel. The fish was cooked just barely done which was perfection.

We were seated in a porch room that was glassed in with great views of the harbour and Mt. Battie and they encourage seating side by side at 4 tops instead of opposing each other in order to enoy the view. I really enjoy that European custom and wish we found it more often in this country.

I am sure I will be in a tiny minority in saying this, but we enjoyed this much more than our dinner 2 years ago at Primo. We do love Francine in Camden and dine there each week we are there. This is a different experience and both are just wonderful in what they accomplish.

Edited by arriba! (log)