• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatloaf

tommy

I haven't used veal in a long long time.

Ive never understood why its added to "meat-loaf" mix

veal might be nice in Saltimbocca a la Romana, but in a mix it certainly would be overpowered by other flavors 

and thus a waste of money.

• Like 1

I've always been a big fan of the CI meatloaf, with or without the glaze (now I'll make it without the veal!)

This meafloaf recipe by Bobby Flay is my other favorite:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/vegetable-meatloaf-with-balsamic-glaze-recipe.html

If you haven't tried it you're missing out.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Nice idea.  I have made a few meatloaves in my life but I've never been a huge fan.  I am starting to wonder if I should give a meatloaf another chance. This would be an ideal way to find out whether I've changed my mind or not.  Thank you for the link. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

First let me say I did not have a mother who ever made a meatloaf. Just the word made me suspicious. Eventually I tried doing it myself, and what I have come up with is complicated and has been tweaked over many years and allows for a variety of innovations. But one thing I swear by is using a mix of meats. My favorite mix is 1/3 each of not-too-lean chuck, pork and veal. For me, the reason most meatloaf is mediocre or awful is because its main ingredients are hamburger meat, ketchup and bread. Ya gotta get away from that profile. Otherwise you've basically got a hamburger that's put in a blender and cooked in a loaf pan. Anna, if anyone can conquer meatloaf, it's you. 

• Like 2

I make it about once a month.  Free form loaf so the grease can drain.

I find that the amount of panade and the time the panade is given to soak before mixing is key to texture. Wait 30 seconds...no good. Wait 3 minutes ...just right.

Spiced with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, garlic and diced onion.  I usually include diced andouille sausage and dress with Major Grey's mango chutney before serving.

017.thumb.jpg.d55d209ddec91ad3e19a03f22816ad97.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

MeatLoaf = American Pate

delicious when you find it a calling.

I have

Mashed Potatoes , Gravy . Peas 

its the best place for Bacon BTW

no matchup either.

mine always involves  ground turkey and bells seasoning.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

First let me say I did not have a mother who ever made a meatloaf. Just the word made me suspicious. Eventually I tried doing it myself, and what I have come up with is complicated and has been tweaked over many years and allows for a variety of innovations. But one thing I swear by is using a mix of meats. My favorite mix is 1/3 each of not-too-lean chuck, pork and veal. For me, the reason most meatloaf is mediocre or awful is because its main ingredients are hamburger meat, ketchup and bread. Ya gotta get away from that profile. Otherwise you've basically got a hamburger that's put in a blender and cooked in a loaf pan. Anna, if anyone can conquer meatloaf, it's you. 

That's the mixture I like to use but can't always get veal here so sometimes I use more beef tho I think maybe I might try a bit of ground turkey next time.  One of my better markets does have 'meatloaf mix' which is the preferred combo so I buy that if I'm in that neighborhood.

• Like 1

Yum! Love meatloaf!

I like mine looser, not the packed, firm stuff. Half regular ground pork, half lean ground beef - I don't bother with veal, it's too mild & $$$ for simple ol' meatloaf. To keep it softer I use a fair amount of grated carrots, finely-chopped onions & celery, and bread soaked in milk. I also do free form, it's less greasy and the sides get a nicer crust. Essentially my version of a giant meatball in non-ball form.

Best thing about meatloaf - meatloaf sandwiches the next day! :wub::wub:

• Like 4

My meatloaf is loosely based on the CI all-beef recipe, which uses a tsp of gelatin to provide similar effects to mixed meat approach.  Mine gets sauteed fine diced carrot, onion and celery and uses oatmeal as the panade.  It gets two eggs and 1/2 cup of water for 2lbs of beef and one cup of oatmeal.  Spiced with soy sauce, Worcestershire, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Glaze is ketchup with sugar added.  Like @gfweb I cook it free-form. I can post the exact recipe if folks are interested. A recent one from last week:

meatloafw.jpg.c369a0118371959a43c7546ac9f5853e.jpg

meatloaf6.jpg.8cbcb8c70e6dccf53b5229ff1413baec.jpg

Edited by mgaretz (log)
  • Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

36 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Anna, if anyone can conquer meatloaf, it's you. 

I am sure you mean another Anna!  Hell I can't even make chocolate chip  or oatmeal cookies.:D

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

forgot the peas here :

59c2e79b27b87_TMLwMPs.thumb.jpg.bb56fb31fb7f20ecacbacfb96d851b45.jpg

remembered them here :

TMwPeas.thumb.jpg.2095421f76f14c7cf9d61304143eee92.jpg

somewhere it all came together.

here is it oven ready :

59c2e8267fb38_TMLOvenR.thumb.jpg.8744e1b53e739a25b2206e088ffd2a43.jpg

and here it is cooked

59c2e83331cf5_TMLcooked.thumb.jpg.d37d0e98d15db7c599612f31f54795c4.jpg

just to review :

59c2e8c4581c4_TMLPots.thumb.jpg.2bc7168a4e4b3d63fd7c99fb6518773d.jpg

the above became

59c2e8deabe1d_TMLPotsGrOnions.thumb.jpg.a4a1469699e721505f5b4c1c3bc401c8.jpg

I could go on and on .............

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

My meatloaf is loosely based on the CI all-beef recipe, which uses a tsp of gelatin to provide similar effects to mixed meat approach.  Mine gets sauteed fine diced carrot, onion and celery and uses oatmeal as the panade.  It gets two eggs and 1/2 cup of water for 2lbs of beef and one cup of oatmeal.  Spiced with soy sauce, Worcestershire, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Glaze is ketchup with sugar added.  Like @gfweb I cook it free-form. I can post the exact recipe if folks are interested. A recent one from last week:

now I'm craving meatloaf...I mostly use one or another of the CI recipes that I'm very satisfied with.

4 hours ago, lindag said:

now I'm craving meatloaf...I mostly use one or another of the CI recipes that I'm very satisfied with.

One of things that turned me off of CI was they kept publishing variations on recipes they had done, often with very minor changes, and keep calling the latest one the best ever.  Meatloaf in particular.  Once all they did was change the breadcrumbs to crushed saltines. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

My goodness! I grew up in the northern Appalachian mountains of north central Pennsylvania. Lots of great meatloaf was served in those country kitchens—my mom, maternal and paternal grandmothers all served great meatloaf!

Also great meatloaf at family reunions, friends, neighbors, church socials, potlucks, etc. Okay, so some of it wasn't 'great'...dry or whatever....but most of it was great!!!!

20 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Here is a twist on meatloaf from the latest Fine Cooking Magazine.  I have made maybe one meatloaf ever but this recipe looks like an excellent way to make meatloaf:

http://www.finecooking.com/recipe/mini-meatloaves-wrapped-bacon

Cute and easily adapted to be low-carb. :)

• Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

19 minutes ago, lindag said:

I know I mentioned this upthread but it bears repeating.

Bobby Flay's meatloaf is insanely good.  I've made it several times and it is every bit as any other meatloaf made with beef.

Looks good. But the proof reader missed the milk (or whatever) for the panade and missed when to add the breadcrumbs. Perhaps the water in the veg moistens the breadcrumbs?

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Looks good. But the proof reader missed the milk (or whatever) for the panade and missed when to add the breadcrumbs. Perhaps the water in the veg moistens the breadcrumbs?

Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined. 

There's a lot of moisture in the ground turkey, so I think that's where the liquid comes from for the panko.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, lindag said:

Whisk the egg and fresh herbs in a large bowl. Add the turkey, panko, grated cheese, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and the cooled vegetables; mix until just combined. 

There's a lot of moisture in the ground turkey, so I think that's where the liquid comes from for the panko.

right there, plain as day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1