• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatloaf

tommy

Although this isn’t exactly “traditional”, I love the flavour and texture. I’ve been making this for the last 15 or 20 years and never get tired of it. Like most meatloaves it makes heavenly sandwiches.

Bread crumbs, dry sherry, egg, chuck, pork, veal, chopped green olives, pine nuts, raisins, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, S & P. You can top it with anything that strikes your fancy…tomatoes, bacon, glaze, etc.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Jin and Huevos... sounds like we need a couple of contributions to the recipe archive. These recipes MUST NOT be lost to humankind.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

When I feel truely decadent I like to take the standard meatloaf mix and spread it out about 3/4ths to one inch thick on a piece of wax paper, about 8 to 10 inches wide and 18 inches to 24 inches long. I then spread slices of Gruyere or swiss cheese over the top of the mixture. Then pulling up on the bottom edge of the wax paper roll it up like a giant meat and cheese sushi roll. :raz: Once it is rolled up and any gaps are pinched shut place it in the baking pan seam side down. Bake as usual. Especially good with mustard style glaze. Great diet food... :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Jin and Huevos... sounds like we need a couple of contributions to the recipe archive. These recipes MUST NOT be lost to humankind.

fifi, I am anti-recipe by nature and principle. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ground chuck beef, ground pork shoulder, chopped lamb kidney, "fresh" bread crumbs, egg. Season with salt, fresh pepper, chipotle paste, chopped garlic, pistachios. Mix well. Wrap in thinly sliced double-smoked bacon (from a slab; have the butcher do it if you don't have a meat slicer), place in pan. One hour at 400F. Drain. Let rest ten minutes. Remove from pan and let rest a few minutes more. Slice thinly with a wet knife, drizzle with a Dijon mustard sauce (could just whip some white wine into the mustard).

Serve with roasted baby potatoes or mashed potatoes with ramps or roasted garlic and shaved fennel sauteed in butter with a few peels of parmesan.

Or as sandwiches in a crusty bread with blackened tomato slices and mustard with frites.

your recipe posts have the curious effect of curing my hunger for anything else ever again

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

When I feel truely decadent I like to take the standard meatloaf mix and spread it out about 3/4ths to one inch thick on a piece of wax paper, about 8 to 10 inches wide and 18 inches to 24 inches long.  I then spread slices of Gruyere or swiss cheese over the top of the mixture.  Then pulling up on the bottom edge of the wax paper roll it up like a giant meat and cheese sushi roll.  :raz:

I have a similar recipe, except mine uses mozzarella and adds slices of ham too - delicious! Sort of a meat jellyroll. It's called Coco's meatloaf, possibly after the late James Coco. My mom cut it out of a magazine back in the 70's. I haven't made it in years.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Got this out of the paper years ago.

I'm sorry, but I can't remember the story behind it, but it is a good recipe.

We usually halve it.

Meatloaf – Four Seasons

Serves 12

5 pounds ground beef

1 medium onion, minced

2 stalks celery, minced

2 medium carrot, minced

3 eggs

1 cup oats

4 ounces ketchup

2 tablespoon garlic, minced

1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped

Salt and pepper to taste

Tabasco sauce, to taste (about 1 tablespoon)

Worcestershire sauce, to taste (about 1 tablespoon)

Ketchup and maple syrup, mixed, for glaze

Preheat oven to 350°

Thoroughly mix all ingredients by hand. Place in a baking mold or large loaf pan and cook at 350° for 45 minutes.

Cool slightly and take out of mold. Place on sheet pan. Add thin layer of ketchup-maple syrup mixture over entire loaf. Raise oven temperature to 400°. Bake for additional 10 minutes (or longer) until glaze is formed.

Slice and serve with a pan gravy made from the pan drippings, an ounce of butter, a pint of concentrated beef broth, 4 ounces of whipping cream, a splash of red wine, and sautéed wild mushrooms.

Sladeums, et al . . . No report yet from the mother-in-law about the CI meatloaf because we haven't given it to her yet - but I made it and cut a wedge off one end and my husband and I tried it. He's decided he DOES like meatloaf and wanted to know why I never make that for HIM. :smile: Thanks, everyone!

I do have a question, though. The ground chuck that I bought for this recipe said it contained "natural flavorings." (It was in the smallest of prints, of course!) I didn't notice it until I was already home. Why would beef need "natural flavorings"? I'm mystified and appalled. It seems like a sin against nature. I didn't notice anything unusual about the flavor, but then again, I don't buy ground chuck all that often.

I do have a question, though.  The ground chuck that I bought for this recipe said it contained "natural flavorings." (It was in the smallest of prints, of course!) I didn't notice it until I was already home.  Why would beef need "natural flavorings"?  I'm mystified and appalled.  It seems like a sin against nature.  I didn't notice anything unusual about the flavor, but then again, I don't buy ground chuck all that often.

According to a 1990 rule issued by the Food Safety and Inspection Service (a branch of the US Department of Agriculture), the following may be included under the umbrella labeling of "natural flavorings": spices, spice extracts, and distillates. In other words, stuff that is there only to add flavor, as opposed to enhance flavor.

Required to be listed (among other things): meat stocks (including dried meat stocks), autolyzed yeast, and hydrolyzed proteins (including monosodium glutamate). The key here is that these things are considered flavor enhancers, not flavors in and of themselves.

One might argue that meat stocks do add flavor of their own. But since they are of animal orgin, they are subject to other labeling rules; they must be labeled as to animal of origin regardless of the purpose for their inclusion in the product. This is for (among other things) religious reasons. Other additives may be subject to ancillary labelling requirements because they are common allergens -- nuts and nut byproducts, for instance.

More information here.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Slice thinly with a wet knife, drizzle with a Dijon mustard sauce (could just whip some white wine into the mustard).

Okay, you hooked me and now I need help. Do you supose you could share the mustard sauce recipe in a little more detail?

Here's what I am laboring under:

Couldn't find any chipotle paste so had to use adobo. Boy are those babies HOT.

No lamb kidneys available so had to use a beef kidney.

Finally, "old handy" broke the glass in the oven door and it won't be fixed 'til Friday.

So I am winging it in a crockpot.

Do you supose by nightfall I can come home to wonderful smells and a mustard sauce recipe?

Thanks,

dave

Slice thinly with a wet knife, drizzle with a Dijon mustard sauce (could just whip some white wine into the mustard).

Okay, you hooked me and now I need help. Do you supose you could share the mustard sauce recipe in a little more detail?

Here's what I am laboring under:

Couldn't find any chipotle paste so had to use adobo. Boy are those babies HOT.

No lamb kidneys available so had to use a beef kidney.

Finally, "old handy" broke the glass in the oven door and it won't be fixed 'til Friday.

So I am winging it in a crockpot.

Do you supose by nightfall I can come home to wonderful smells and a mustard sauce recipe?

Thanks,

dave

Well, I'll generally sweat some minced shallots in butter. Then pour in white wine and burn off the alcohol. Puree and strain. Add Dijon and whisk together. Season to taste. It's really easy.

As for chipotle paste, I often just blend together tinned chipotle with the adobo and add a few things depending on use. But roasting and pureeing your own is better, which I do when I have the time.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Well, I'll generally sweat some minced shallots in butter. Then pour in white wine and burn off the alcohol. Puree and strain. Add Dijon and whisk together. Season to taste. It's really easy.

Thank you, Jinmyo. I have some shallots growing in the garden and I am itching to try them "fresh" so I will whip up the sauce when i get home from working at the food bank.

dave

Good luck, Dave. I hope you have fun with it.

I confess to failing at meatloaf for twenty years.  I was finally cured by the Cook's Illustrated recipe.

Made this meatloaf tonight and it was very, very good. Moist, tasty and there's lots left for sandwiches. Anna N

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I confess to failing at meatloaf for twenty years.  I was finally cured by the Cook's Illustrated recipe.

Made this meatloaf tonight and it was very, very good. Moist, tasty and there's lots left for sandwiches. Anna N

That does it! Goodbye to tomorrow night's dinner plan, hello to meatloaf!! Now I just have to decide whether to make the CI version or Jin's, both of which sound quite delicious.

• 9 months later...

Jennyuptown:

The Giant sometimes, in the meat section, has a special meatloaf package that has about a pound of ground beef, and a half pound each of ground veal and ground pork. It make excellenet meatloaf and whenever I see it I buy a couple of packages and put it in the freezer. Not only is meatloaf great, but I love it the next day on sandwichs.

You can also get it online for anyone else interested:

click for CI's 'Best Meatloaf' recipe

This link no longer works. :sad:

Anyone else have a recipe to share? I'd like something simple and perhaps a little spicy.

Here's a working link to that CI meatloaf recipe:

http://www.google.com.hk/search?q=cache:O8...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I am also a fan of the Good Eats meatloaf. I always trim the meat well, grind it fresh, and the result is flavorful, moist, not greasy, and just plain good. I do like sauce on the side, though, so I compromise: make a double batch of sauce! Spread half on the loaf, cook the other half on low to sanitize and carmelize a bit, and serve. Makes a great spread for sandwiches. Overall if you are looking for comfort food it may be a bit exotic (the cumin is fairly prominent), but since neither I nor my wife has a tradition of meatloaf eating we devour it.

Walt

Walt Nissen -- Livermore, CA

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

I am having a serious craving for meatloaf. This was brought on by watching this commercial for Nexium where there is meatloaf and mashed potatoes on the plate and mom is running around pouring this marvelous looking brown gravy all over everything. That is a good thing. Gravy is a good thing. But how the hell do you make a good brown gravy to serve with meatloaf? (I thought about my beef demi glace then realized that I used my last mit in the onion confit.)

I am a serious fan of the Cooks Illustrated approach. I like AB's as well but I would really like to go the brown gravy route instead of the glaze. What am I missing?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose