• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meatloaf

tommy

Does anyone see any reason not to freeze a raw meatloaf?

I've been thinking about this and although I have no evidence to support it, my opinion is that it's not a good idea. You have to be so careful handling raw ground meat as it is. And then to add all the ingredients and mix it up and stick it in the freezer seems to me, anyway, to be asking for trouble. A meatloaf is so dense that it would take a while for the center to freeze. Especially if you've cooked any vegetables, like onions or celery or bell peppers, they might still be warm when you added them.

And then the thawing out would take a while. You'd have to do it in the fridge to be sure the whole thing stayed cool while it thawed.

People do freeze ground beef all the time in something like a hamburger patty, but those are much thinner. Perhaps if you made small meatloaves it would work fine.

I don't know. But my gut feeling is that it's a bad idea.

If you try it, let us know what happens.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 1 year later...

I'm bumping up this topic because a link to this rather

Unusual Version of Meatloaf

arrived in my email this morning from Drew Kime/ How To Cook Like Your Grandmother.

I happen to love meatloaf, although this is rather a lot of meatloaf to prepare for just me, it looks like it would make a great party thing for a football get together or even a tailgate party.

Although I would nail it together with skewers before attempting transport.

I have in the past "iced" a loaf-shaped one with potatoes - and also did one with a cream cheese horseradish sauce.

Any comments? Any similar ideas.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 years later...

Been craving meatloaf, so thought I'd bump this topic up.

We've got quite a few new members since this chat began, so I'm hoping the new folks will have some interesting thoughts.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Toots is from Argentina, and she makes (to me) the strangest meatloaf. She places whole, shelled, boiled eggs inside the meat. I don't care much for it, but she does, as it's what she grew up with.

The biggest problem is that the eggs end up grossly over cooked - the whites are hard and rubbery and the yolks are dry. Any ideas on how those eggs can be a little more appetizing, with a softer and more moist yolk and a less rubberized white?

I imagine that by boiling the eggs so they are soft would be a step in the right direction, but they'd still be baking in a 350-degree oven for about an hour or so. Might that help to a significant degree? Any tips on shelling a soft boiled egg?

... Shel

Toots is from Argentina, and she makes (to me) the strangest meatloaf. She places whole, shelled, boiled eggs inside the meat. I don't care much for it, but she does, as it's what she grew up with.

The biggest problem is that the eggs end up grossly over cooked - the whites are hard and rubbery and the yolks are dry. Any ideas on how those eggs can be a little more appetizing, with a softer and more moist yolk and a less rubberized white?

I imagine that by boiling the eggs so they are soft would be a step in the right direction, but they'd still be baking in a 350-degree oven for about an hour or so. Might that help to a significant degree? Any tips on shelling a soft boiled egg?

I've encountered the boiled egg in the meatloaf thing with some frequency in the US Midwest, although not so much in other regions. As you say, when you're not accustomed to it, it is strange. And not that tasty, in my view. As to how to cook it, I think it would be exceedingly difficult to try to undercook it to the proper degree and then peel it.

If you figure it out, please let us know.

In the meantime, want to say that as of late we've been using the "All American Meatloaf" recipe in the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.

It's very very good. We've been using that cookbook a lot and have really enjoyed everything in it. I heartily recommend it as a good all-purpose home kitchen cookbook.

http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Kitchen-Family-Cookbook-Edition/dp/1933615486

• 4 months later...

Well, DH has been asking for his favourite meal - meatloaf. Since he's been a good boy and the gross fall weather calling for comfort food, thought I'd oblige this weekend. But I'm debating whether to make something new or stick with the tried-and-true of half beef & pork, and the usual mess of meatloaf ingredients. Ketchup brown sugar glaze on top, baked free-form in a roasting pan. I also like mixing in chopped frozen spinach and/or mushrooms. I'm thinking of trying a stout & cheddar meatloaf. How does cheese hold up in meatloaf? Or does it melt out in a big greasy mess?

Anyone making delicious meatloaves lately?

I like to make my meatloaf like it's a big meatball. It's usually pork, veal and beef. A lot of chopped garlic, parsley, egg, fresh bread crumbs, some tomato sauce.

But, what is different is how I serve it. I serve it with tomato sauce that has some butter in it, the meatloaf with a side of polenta, broccoli rabe and fresh ricotta cheese.

I also make a rabbit meatloaf with a mustard glaze.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

my meatloaf is with ground turkey. the kind you buy pre-ground. Its said to be by all who have had it, outstanding.

My beef loafs were never as good. I do like turkey and understand how to deal with it to my taste.

two Units of ground turkey ( I think they are 20 oz ) then add lib as follows:

1 - 2 eggs, beaten. dijon mustard, a couple of TBS. 3 - 4 finely minced garlic. a drop or 3 of liquid smoke Bell's seasoning, a tbs or so. maybe more. salt and pepper to taste

mix that well. sometimes there are other turkey related things in this

fresh fine breadcrumbs, more than you might think or oatmeal (regular not instant) ground up a bit.

mix the meat with the wet. then add the crumbs. it should easily hold together

place on an oblong pyrex dish so there there is about a 1 inch margin all around

cover with the best thick cut meaty bacon you can find.. over lap the bacon 1/2 way. more bacon that way.

"roast' about 1 1/2 hours 350 until the bacon is crispy and brown. Chef needs to sample that bacon right away.

cool a bit and slice. use the 'drippings' in your Turkey gravy. this should be well seasoned with the garlic/bells/smoke

another popular variant is this same meat combo stuffed:

get a tray with a slight lip ( small jelly roll ) you will get the idea on the size in a minute.

line with cling wrap. evenly spread out that load mix. then add Mortadella/ good quality salami sliced/ swiss cheese/ maybe wilted spinach

and roll up seal ends carefully and put in that same oblong pyrex dish as above and add bacon etc.

very very rich dish

if there are any leftovers of either, thick cut on good quality bread for an outstanding sandwich the next day or later that same night!

Edited by rotuts (log)

I like to make my meatloaf like it's a big meatball. It's usually pork, veal and beef. A lot of chopped garlic, parsley, egg, fresh bread crumbs, some tomato sauce.

But, what is different is how I serve it. I serve it with tomato sauce that has some butter in it, the meatloaf with a side of polenta, broccoli rabe and fresh ricotta cheese.

I also make a rabbit meatloaf with a mustard glaze.

I'm really intrigued by what you serve with your big meatball, especially the ricotta! Is that how you had it growing up, or did you hit upon it accidentally? Do you use it as a kind of condiment to the meatloaf?

I have to make mashed potatoes as a side, otherwise DH might divorce me. :raz: Usually no gravy, just the pan juices skimmed of most of the fat. Sauteed green veg - bok choy or broccoli or other green.

I guess the polenta replaces the mashed potatoes. You can treat the polenta like mashed and add butter or cream or marscapone. Though water and salt work just fine. The buttery tomato sauce acts as the condiment,(also ketchup replacement) the broccoli rabe is the green and the ricotta goes really well with everything. My wife is Sicilian or part Sicilian and her family has bowls of ricotta to pass around pretty much every time they serve a tomato sauce that doesn't have fish. So I love that idea.

My wife won't eat ketchup so , tomato sauce was the replacement , tomato sauce means ricotta and so on.

Thanks

Edited by basquecook (log)

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

• 1 year later...

I'm puzzled about many things in this thread.

Why PC meatloaf in the first place?

Why SV meatloaf? And at what time and temp?

I know an A10 is a Warthog, but what is the famous A16 meatball?

• Like 1

Ive studied MeatLoaf  ( ML ) for some time.   Indeed im an expert on Turkey ML's

the best Turkey ML's so far are made in a steam oven : on steam-roast  in the CSB.  w bacon of course.

in theory the only thing that would improve that loaf is a hint of smoke. only a hint.

if your still in the 'beefy' stage and have not moved up to TML's, try you BML in a steam oven.

if you don't have one, find one to use.

you won't sleep much until you get your own.

just saying.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Why SV meatloaf? And at what time and temp?

It seems strange, I'll admit. But the results are interesting enough to try at least once. I typically cook at 140F/60C for 3 to 4 hours; the actual cooking time will vary depending on the shape of your loaf. Because you're cooking low-temp, the proteins don't constrict as much and therefore retain more moisture than they do in a conventional preparation. After cooking, I chill it down completely, remove it from the bag and drain/scrape the juices from it before slicing. The chill step makes it easier to slice without it breaking apart. If you do a gradual chill (let it sit for 15 min at room temp, then move to a cool water bath for 15 minutes, then do an ice bath for 15 minutes before going to the fridge) it helps it retain even more moisture. When it's time to serve, I portion and sear the slices in beef fat, flipping constantly until they're browned on both sides and warmed through.

I use a similar protocol on meatballs (which are basically meatloaf in a different form). After I have the meat mixture together, I form it into balls and freeze them on a Silpat before vacuum sealing. This keeps the meatballs from getting crushed by the bag when you seal. I do several batches at once so I have meatballs in my freezer whenever I want them. I'll drop them into a 60C bath about 1.5 hours before I want to eat. When they're ready to go, I deep fry them in 375F+ oil for 45 seconds or so just to get them brown and delicious on the outside.

In both instances, the resulting product is fattier and juicier than I typically get using other methods. It's quite rich. That's not always what you're going for, but if you are looking for a fatty, flavorful, juicy meat-bomb, then give this method a try.

• Like 3

btbyrd

Ive forgotten if you have a steam oven

id love to compare a CSB TML to a SV one.

also BTW

""  I form it into balls and freeze them on a Silpat before vacuum sealing. ""

after you bag the MB's don't you have a lot of air gaps between the MB's after a Vac ?

BT, do you adjust the recipe eg less panade, for a SV loaf?

I've only used SV for meatloaf a few times and have stuck with my standard recipe (which is light on panade and also includes almond flour) each time. It may be worth doing a couple smaller test batches with more/less bread the next time. 

btbyrd

Ive forgotten if you have a steam oven

id love to compare a CSB TML to a SV one.

also BTW

""  I form it into balls and freeze them on a Silpat before vacuum sealing. ""

after you bag the MB's don't you have a lot of air gaps between the MB's after a Vac ?

I don't have a steam oven but it's on my want list, especially if they come out with a slightly larger model. It does seem close to ideal for meatloaf purposes, since you can cook in a moist environment and also generate some nice browning (which is a separate step in SV). As for the meatballs, there's a gap between them but there's no air (on account of the vac). I space them out pretty well, so it's not much different than cooking two steaks or chicken breasts (or whatever) in the same bag, except that the meatballs are much smaller so there are more of them. 

I made it last night. As a vile foreigner I have no attachment to the dish. I made the Kenjiloaf last night and really liked it. It microwaves well, too.

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

nice article  will take a peek at the book

how ever , there is MeatLoaf, and Meat&VegLoaf

no big deal.  but different.

The vegetables hardly account for a large portion of the finished dish. I didn't come away feeling like I'd had 'meat & veg loaf' as opposed to meatloaf. My experience with the dish is limited but nothing about the Kenji version suggested it was an outlier. 

• Like 1

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between