• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salty burger lands fast food worker in slammer

JanMcBaker

I found this article just amazing-- does this town have nothing better to do with their money? And why didn't the cop just stop eating the burger if it was so bad??!! I was especially amazed at the last line in the article, concerning the charges against the worker, because she recklessly prepared food "without regards to the well-being of anyone who might consume it." HE WAS EATING AT A GD MCDONALD'S, FER CRYIN' OUT LOUD!!! NOW there's concern about his well-being?? Give me a break. :hmmm:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Yay for America, land of the frivolous lawsuit!

(I know this isn't a lawsuit, but you get my drift. :raz: )

I wonder what those lab tests will show... probably that the meat - like probably all their meat - was really sketchy anyway. :hmmm:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Well this story just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside: gigundus corporation AND the police gang up on a McDonald's worker. Let's see, this woman has now been docked pay, spent a night in jail, and had to post $1,000 bond.

I'm no fan of the frivolous lawsuit either, but I have to say that this lady has been treated shabbily to say the least and been subject to an abuse of power by the moronic police officer. If he had time to go back, interrogate and arrest this woman, didn't he also have time to go back get another burger? Idiot.

I hope she gets millions.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Well, see, if she gets to sue the cop I wouldn't consider that frivolous (for all the reasons you pointed out, divalasvegas)! :biggrin:

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I heard she asked for a jury trial. Good. I would love to be on that jury. Innocent! Then I would hope she whips right around and sues the police department and Mc Donalds. She notified her manager of the situation and he let the meat continue to be served.

I wonder if this cop has eaten pickles, potato chips, ham, or beef jerky and had the same reaction to salt? Bet not.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

Something about this story has been bothering me however: since when does McDonalds or any other mega corp., fast food burger chain make burgers from raw meat? She and the manager were making these burgers from scratch when the meat was oversalted. Aren't all the burgers shipped to each McD's as frozen, pre-formed patties? Am I missing something here or do they just do things differently in Georgia McDonalds restaurants?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Something about this story has been bothering me however: since when does McDonalds or any other mega corp., fast food burger chain make burgers from raw meat? She and the manager were making these burgers from scratch when the meat was oversalted.  Aren't all the burgers shipped to each McD's as frozen, pre-formed patties?  Am I missing something here or do they just do things differently in Georgia McDonalds restaurants?

It doesn't actually say they were made from scratch only that salt was spilled on the "hamburger meat" and they tried to thump it off. Difficult to thump off raw meat so sounds more like frozen.

Something about this story has been bothering me however: since when does McDonalds or any other mega corp., fast food burger chain make burgers from raw meat? She and the manager were making these burgers from scratch when the meat was oversalted.  Aren't all the burgers shipped to each McD's as frozen, pre-formed patties?  Am I missing something here or do they just do things differently in Georgia McDonalds restaurants?

It doesn't actually say they were made from scratch only that salt was spilled on the "hamburger meat" and they tried to thump it off. Difficult to thump off raw meat so sounds more like frozen.

Well that's not what the AP story said:

Kendra Bull was mixing hamburger meat when, she said, too much salt and pepper accidentally spilled into the bowl. Bull said her manager was working with her, and continued to make patties out of the meat. Bull grilled and ate one of the over-seasoned burgers for her dinner break and grilled the remaining burgers from the batch.

Not that the AP or other news sources can't screw things up, but I checked elsewhere and that's how it's being reported.

I'm so-o-o-o-o confused. :blink:

Hmmm... that might explain one thing- fast food workers must think I'm an undercover cop, because every item I get is "oversalted" ESPECIALLY the french fries -the few times I've eaten at a FF joint the past few years I've had to literally wipe the salt off the each individual fry before I eat them.

Never worked for the clown but the only thing I could think of where an employee would use salt would be on the fries. Which are at least 15 feet from the burger stations.

OK I can't help it. Was the hambuglar questioned, I understand he has issues.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats