• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Honey

Jaymes

My mom's honey nut drop cookies. We had hives and wonderful honey so this was a favorite (right behind the yogurt honey thing with a sprinkling of wheat germ and a few halved grapes)

3 c. flour

4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 c. unsalted butter (she used margarine cuz they thought it was healthier)

1 c. brown sugar

1 c. honey

1 egg

1 c. chopped walnuts (I like to toast them a little first)

350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.

They start out crisp and you can keep them that way by leaving exposed, or put in closed container and they get soft.

• 3 months later...
I recently tasted a delicious artisinal honey made by a gentleman here in the Philadelphia suburbs (ironically his surname is Buzas) that was served on the side of a cheese plate I ordered at Tria.  Delicious.  Subtle, sweet, but not sickly-so as many more ordinary and supermarket examples tend to be.

Katie, ask Mr, Buzas if he is Hungarian... because buzas means Wheaty ...

robi

I am a huge fan of manuka honey from NZ which aside from having a fantastic flavour has interesting health benefits.

(boring bit now ha)

All honey has some level of the antibacterial chemical hydrogen peroxide, which is produced by enzymes in the honey. These enzymes are easily destroyed by exposure to heat and light and also by contact with body fluids. Manuka honey has an antibacterial action that is separate to the peroxide effect, resulting in a much more persistent and stable antibacterial action, great for wound treatment. The honey also has a synergistic antibacterial effect with the hydrogen peroxide activity, producing a very powerful weapon against bacterial conditions....at first the benefits were thought to be strictly 'homeopathic' but lab testing has confirmed the antibacterial benefits...

Another manuka honey fan here - for its delicious flavor. I brought some back from a trip to New Zealand and have continued to purchase it here.

I also love to bring honey back from a trip and remember my travels with a cup of honey-sweetened tea.

I am a big fan of the Tazmanian Leatherwood honey. It has complexity that I have not found in other honeys. It has a bit of Funk, good Funk, that brings to mind Marachino liqueur, or the noble rot of a dessert wine. Its dear, but easy to get at whole Foods. So good in rum hot toddies!

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

A large local organic distributor for Honey is located here in Eugene, OR. They bring honey in from sources throughout the world. In addition they are very knowledgeable regarding all aspects of the bee. The owner Dick Turanski is presently working on developing bee keeping in various parts of Africa. Dick has been in the bee and honey business for over thirty years. They could be a resource for your book if you need one.

http://www.glorybeefoods.com/gbf/

Edited by duck833 (log)

A quart of Blueberry honey bought in southern New Jersey at a roadside berry farm where they produced it. Very pleasant

Pine Tree honey from Turkey. Almost maple like to me.....it's thick and tan and sparkly as it comes out of its plastic sqeeze tube. The tube is a real plus for those of us who cart the sticky treat home from wherever. With the 3 oz. rule it gets kind of scary to put a jar in suitcase. Before that many times I dragged my hefty honey backpack through airports.......while DH says "don't we have honey at home?"

Of course we do, western NY has lots of local honey producers.....spring flowers is a favorite type. But I think we've been hit hard (in both honey and pollination) by the dead hive problem.

I have a jar of "petits fleurs" honey from the south of France near Toulouse. The gentleman who collected it told me it was mainly chestnut, but not enough chestnut to put that on the label. It is pretty strongly flavored, but I really like it. This Christmas on a side trip we picked up a jar of gallberry honey at the Okefenokee swamp gift shop. That's definitely a south Georgia/north Florida specialty. We had it when I was growing up.

• 4 months later...

I just had dinner at Ryugin in Tokyo, and they use a special honey from India. They say it's "Parash" from a wildlife preserve in the northern part of India (I think they said north). They've tried to find more information about the flower, but they can't seem to find any information on it, much less an English or Japanese translation.

Hopefully a very knowledgeable eGulleter will be able to help them out! (and me! I quite liked the honey.)

I don't have anything to add about the honey, but I would love to hear about your meal at Ryugin.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz